PDA

View Full Version : PNG politics

Kagamuga
26th May 2019, 05:07
Peter O'Steal (O'Neil) has left the stage and Sir Julius is back!

geeup
26th May 2019, 07:40
Quick drain the bank accounts and fuel the Falcon

packapoo
26th May 2019, 23:03
You'd be too late with that, would've been attended to long before announcement made. Could be the reason for the announcement even.....

tail wheel
26th May 2019, 23:05
No he hasn't!!!

O'Neill appointed Julius Chan as "caretaker Prime Minister" which under the PNG Constitution means nothing. Constitutionally, O'Neill must resign to the Governor General who sends the resignation on to the Speaker of Parliament. He may do that, but I doubt it.....

Parliament elects a Prime Minister: O'Neill has no authority to "appoint" a Prime Minister.

I suspect O'Neill is trying to frustrate the Vote of No Confidence (VONC) against him, which is due to be tabled in Parliament tomorrow? When it can't be tabled ostensibly because O'Neill says he is no longer PM, O'Neill will claim his Prime Minister position back from Chan.

Certainly shows Julius's colours!

Just another day in PNG politics.

LeadSled
26th May 2019, 23:44
No he hasn't!!!

O'Neill appointed Julius Chan as "caretaker Prime Minister" which under the PNG Constitution means nothing. Constitutionally, O'Neill must resign to the Governor General who sends the resignation on to the Speaker of Parliament. He may do that, but I doubt it.....

Parliament elects a Prime Minister: O'Neill has no authority to "appoint" a Prime Minister.

I suspect O'Neill is trying to frustrate the Vote of No Confidence (VONC) against him, which is due to be tabled in Parliament tomorrow? When it can't be tabled ostensibly because O'Neill says he is no longer PM, O'Neill will claim his Prime Minister position back from Chan.

Certainly shows Julius's colours!

Just another day in PNG politics.
Tailwheel,
How old would Chan be now??
He was DPM when I was seconded to ANG with P2-ANH, the first B707 (excluding the 720 "leased" from from Templewood)
And --- that is quite a while ago, and he was no babe-in-arms then??
Tootle pip!!

Seaeagle109
27th May 2019, 00:58
According to Wikipedia; Sir Julius Chan was born in 1939, so 80 or there abouts, depending on this actual date of birth.

troppo
27th May 2019, 11:42
According to Wikipedia; Sir Julius Chan was born in 1939, so 80 or there abouts, depending on this actual date of birth.
go on...ask 'yu lukim how maspela santa?'
ive done it before :}

tail wheel
28th May 2019, 04:56
Leadsled. Julius is 79, 80 in August. He is still Governor of New Ireland.

Reminds me of Imelda - profitable business being a politician!!

gulliBell
28th May 2019, 08:14
I used to fly Sir J around in his helicopter, and overnight at his mansion on New Ireland. He's an interesting bloke when you get some solo one-on-one time with him around the dinner table. Just don't mention Sandline.

geeup
28th May 2019, 21:08
Looks like 6th June will be the next outcome.

Highly doubt Chan will be the PM.

Sounds like 1/2 the opposition thought they should be the next PM and something about returning to the coalition again....