PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know of a dam that needs "Chastising"?

India Four Two
26th May 2019, 01:29
Engine run today at the Bomber Command Museum at Nanton, Alberta.

Look at what's involved in the Upkeep of a Lancaster ;)

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1500x1000/nanton_25may2019_mg_5369_3a2e473346d1cf9d19308751b0f0448bfbe 54f26.jpg

Herod
26th May 2019, 07:14
Nice picture; thank you.

Jhieminga
26th May 2019, 07:21
Isn't there a dam behind the White House.....?

I'll get my coat.

ZeBedie
26th May 2019, 09:14
I'd have wanted it pointing away from the hangar!

dixi188
26th May 2019, 10:53
My thoughts too. But perhaps it's just idle power.

Blossy
26th May 2019, 12:11
The watchers should be chastised for not wearing ear protection! High tone hearing loss to follow...….

Pontius Navigator
26th May 2019, 15:06
The watchers should be chastised for not wearing ear protection! High tone hearing loss to follow...….
The one in the blue blooson is wearing ear defenders. The one with the 250lb TI is not.

India Four Two
26th May 2019, 17:15
The NOISE is the reason to be there!

This is a video of a night-run that I took in "pre-Upkeep" days:

https://youtu.be/_4cUX1qInT4

and here's a spectacular picture that a friend took the same evening (he also took the Upkeep picture):

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1163/lancaster_night_run_mg_3670_3_311fa6e3e9cd734980051df1cc93e3 dee724bbad.jpg

I notice that T for Tommy is now M for Mother. Whose 617 Lancaster was that?

oldpax
26th May 2019, 17:57
well,I have done many start ups in front of shackeltons before the exhaust mods and no ear defenders!This does not get you any disability money if your groundcrew!!Very spectacular ,especially if the odd fishtail exhaust came of and went flying away!!

Pontius Navigator
26th May 2019, 18:23
The NOISE is the reason to be there!

This is a video of a night-run that I took in "pre-Upkeep" days:

https://youtu.be/_4cUX1qInT4

and here's a spectacular picture that a friend took the same evening (he also took the Upkeep picture):

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1163/lancaster_night_run_mg_3670_3_311fa6e3e9cd734980051df1cc93e3 dee724bbad.jpg

I notice that T for Tommy is now M for Mother. Whose 617 Lancaster was that?
Hopgood. .

India Four Two
26th May 2019, 18:36
Thanks PN. After looking up Hopgood's crew, I see there were two Canadians, the Nav, F/O Kenneth Earnshaw, who was killed and the Bomb Aimer, F/O John William Fraser, who survived the war as a POW. I presume this is the reason for the choice of the aircraft's code letter.

zetec2
27th May 2019, 17:52
Is that an engine test rig in the background with a radial engine on it ? looks like a cosy little test cell on a trailer ?.

India Four Two
28th May 2019, 03:05
Well spotted zetec2. It's a Bristol Hercules.

Every time they start it up, it does a passable imitation of a taxying Varsity! :E

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1228/hercules_start_25may2019_d18a83e881f25e35e157751dc7f5a19dc1c 00731.jpg

Also in the background is a Cessna Crane and the forward fuselage of a Lancaster, that was made for a movie.

Downwind.Maddl-Land
28th May 2019, 10:12
Thanks PN. After looking up Hopgood's crew, I see there were two Canadians, the Nav, F/O Kenneth Earnshaw, who was killed and the Bomb Aimer, F/O John William Fraser, who survived the war as a POW. I presume this is the reason for the choice of the aircraft's code letter.

One of the many facts of the Dambuster's mission not generally known (as its not covered in the film of the same name) is that Flt Lt John Vere Hopgood DFC, (M – Mother), #2 in the attack on the Möhne and shot down during his attack run, had suffered significant damage on the very low-level transit to the target. The port outer engine was hit and feathered, the front gunner (Gregory) was probably killed in this early engagement as nothing more was heard from him for the rest of the mission. The wireless operator (Minchin) reported being ‘hit in the leg’; it was actually nearly severed, but that was not known about until sometime later when the rear gunner (Burcher) found him crawling up the fuselage and assisted him to abandon the aircraft. During the intervening time Minchin never uttered any complaint.

Burcher, too, had been hit in the groin and stomach, which must have stung just a wee bit. Hopgood himself was badly hit in the head and continued to fly with the Engineer (Brennan) holding a pocket handkerchief to the head wound in an effort to staunch the serious blood loss. Remember, these guys were at a max height of about 100' and routinely flying UNDER electricity cables – in the dark. Despite these serious setbacks and wounds, Hopgood continued to the target, with Gibson and Martin, without a murmur and attacked unhesitatingly when ordered to do so.

On only 3 engines, with no suppressive fire from the front turret, he flew an accurate attack into the now thoroughly alerted defences and paid the price of being '2nd in'. The aircraft was badly hit in the port wing again and the other engine on that side was also put out of action; the petrol tanks were hit, ruptured, and burst into flames. However, even then, Hopgood’s heroism knew no bounds and he remained in control of a now blazing, fully asymmetric, aircraft while he tried to gain height and encouraging his crew to abandon the mortally hit Lancaster.

Due to Hopgood’s gallant efforts, 3 of his crew DID get out, although the seriously injured Minchin did not survive the very low-level abandonment despite the equally gallant efforts of Burcher; if you see pictures of the inside the Lanc's fuselage, imagine crawling along the fuselage with your leg hanging off, especially if you had to negotiate the infamous main spar from the wireless operator’s position to the rear escape door.

Bomb aimer Fraser and rear gunner Burcher did get away with it to become POWs, Burcher with a broken back after hitting the tailplane, having previously bailed out Minchin through the side door. They both only survived because they had the presence of mind to pull their ‘chutes INSIDE the aircraft and feed the canopy into the slipstream and be dragged out by it.; in the case of Burcher, he may have been assisted by being blown out of the aircraft as it exploded.

The whole episode probably took less time in actuality than the time you've spent reading this.

Finally, Dave Shannon recalled during the gut-tightening time between kitting-out and getting airborne, sharing a cigarette with Hopgood ‘round the back of the hangar’, where Hopgood confessed that he didn’t think that he would return; he’d reasoned - logically - that being number 2 ‘in’ was the poisoned chalice as the element of surprise would have gone and the defences would not have been degraded to any degree yet. And so it proved; but he went anyway. Heroism personified and Hopgood, too, should have been awarded a (posthumous) VC, IMHO.

tdracer
28th May 2019, 21:11
Curiosity question - there is the nose portion of a Lancaster at the Flying Heritage and Combat Armor Museum (the collection of the late Paul Allen - it's just a couple miles from where I live). You're not able to actually enter - just look from the rear - but it appears there is only one set of flight controls. Watching the Dam Busters movie it appears the same - only the left seat has flight controls. Really? Only one pilot, no relief (some of those bombing missions were quite long)? What if he got hit - is it game over and you hope you can bail out? Or can the controls be moved such as the guy in the right hand seat can take control?

N707ZS
28th May 2019, 22:20
VERA has flight controls on the right hand side, the passage to the nose gunner is in the right seat area.

Downwind.Maddl-Land
28th May 2019, 23:21
Curiosity question - there is the nose portion of a Lancaster at the Flying Heritage and Combat Armor Museum (the collection of the late Paul Allen - it's just a couple miles from where I live). You're not able to actually enter - just look from the rear - but it appears there is only one set of flight controls. Watching the Dam Busters movie it appears the same - only the left seat has flight controls. Really? Only one pilot, no relief (some of those bombing missions were quite long)? What if he got hit - is it game over and you hope you can bail out? Or can the controls be moved such as the guy in the right hand seat can take control?
Standard crewing arrangements for a UK heavy was for single pilot operation with a single set of controls on the LHS.

The pilot was assisted by a Flight Engineer to his right who looked after, inter alia, the engine and fuel management issues; he sat on an uncomfortable fold up seat that had to be folded away to allow the bomb aimer, who doubled as the nose gunner, access to the forward crew area.

Many pilots encouraged their FEs to learn how to fly the aircraft at least in straight and level flight so that the crew might be able to regain their base for a bail out in the circumstances you outlined above. Some pilots allowed their FE to fly a circuit and practise the occasional landing too; alternatively, other crew members that might have been washed out of pilot training were also earmarked by the captain to pilot the aircraft.

The Lancaster in particular was able to be fitted with dual controls to facilitate its use as a trainer at Heavy Conversation Units with the second pilot occupying the FEs seat with latter relegated to standing behind to undertake his duties and this is the usual fit for the BBMF Lancaster and Vera too if memory serves. Hope this helps.