PDA

View Full Version : AME’s request for an Ophthalmology Report for class 1 reval

TriBeCa
23rd May 2019, 10:39
Hi all

Any ideas why my AME would ask me to complete one of these forms in advance of my next Class 1 reval? Surely they are qualified to perform all the necessary visual tests? Would submitting an additional form to the AME add to complications further down the line?

I did ask my AME about this a few weeks after the class 1 but got no reply.

wiggy
23rd May 2019, 11:44
Hi all

Any ideas why my AME would ask me to complete one of these forms in advance of my next Class 1 reval? Surely they are qualified to perform all the necessary visual tests? Would submitting an additional form to the AME add to complications further down the line?

I did ask my AME about this a few weeks after the class 1 but got no reply.

Looking at your profile I'm assuming you are using a UK AME, and he/she has asked you complete an "extended Opthalmology Examination form," ("med 162")??

I'm sure an AME will be along shortly to explain the details but I believe it's fairly standard, once your eyesight hits certain limits, for the AME wanting an extended test done before you present for reval - AFAIK AME's are not now generally equipped/qualified to do the test themselves. I doubt it's anything sinister and FWIW I'm at the stage where I have to get these tests done and a form filled in every two years -I just hand the completed form over to him on the day when I go in for the Class One, it's not a big deal.

In the UK you can normally get the tests done and the form signed at a bog standard high street opticians such as Boots or Specsavers, but give them the heads when booking the appointment.

TriBeCa
23rd May 2019, 12:14
That’s a useful reply. Cheers Wiggy

Nightstop
23rd May 2019, 19:10
I did exactly that at Specsavers, Horsham. They didn’t charge for the Med 162 completion or try and sell me Specs I didn’t need. I really recommend this firm. Pity their prescription sunglass range is very limited, getting Serengeti’s made up elsewhere.