PDA

View Full Version : Modular graduates: How much has it all cost??

NigelS
2nd Aug 2001, 13:02
I was chatting with a guy last night who's done all the courses and having finally passed everything he awaits the airline job. The scary thing was that he said that he had spent in the region of £100k in pursuit of the dream. This all added up by doing the modular as full time as possible but not passing everything first time and having to resit elements. For example he said that failing the IR once puts an extra £5000 onto the total. Anyway, it was all a bit depressing as my research was suggesting that after the PPL was over I was looking in the region of £25k to £30k. I don't mind adding a bit to this but £75k can't be normal. Can it???

I would be grateful to hear from people who have gone through the modular route with their assessment of how much money they've spent on it when all things are totalled.

Thanks in advance.

Nigel

Strangely Brown
2nd Aug 2001, 17:53
Over a 15 month period the following is approximate and followed the CAA route so is a bit outdated (18 months).

FAA PPL £4k including flights and accom.
Hour Build to 100 Total £1.5k
CAA ATPL Groundschool £3.5k
Hour Build to 100 Hours P1 £2k including flights + Accommodation
BCPL Course £5k Including Accommodation
CPL/IR Upgrade + LOFT £18k Including Accomm.
Perf 'A' £500
MCC £2.2k Including Accommodation
Books and Equipment £500
Medicals £500

Total Cost £38k Approximately.

Since then I have spent £5k on Hour building and IR renewal as I am still seeking flight deck employment.

My loss of earnings over the period was about £35k but obviously this varies from person to person. So £43k + £35k = £78k
I started this process in January 1999 so I suspect things are more expensive now. All my hour building was done in the U.S. when the rate of exchange was 1.75. You now get 20% less for your pound.

Make up your own mind whether u think it's worth it.

Tarmach
2nd Aug 2001, 17:59
Do you think its worth it Strangely Brown?

Token Bird
2nd Aug 2001, 18:23
Surely the most important thing is how much/little debt you are in when you emerge from the horrible process. The good thing about modular is it is possible to work while doing it (although possibly not full-time), so even though it may take twice as long as an integrated course, you don't have to have as much money up front as you do for an integrated course, as you can earn as you go! (I am planning on testing this theory very soon, assuming I cock up my Air Atlantique application)

piperindian
2nd Aug 2001, 19:12
It cost me 50K for a JAR ATPL and 500 hours. I did some time-building in the US. I worked full-time at the same time excepted for the time-building. It can be done but it hindered my career. The amount of time lost is also considerable. One hour of flight means four hours on the ground for briefing, fueling, preflighting...
50K is the price of a small house, a sports car or even better a second-hand airplane.
Dont forget that some guys get into debt to finance this and dont have any regular job.
I am still waiting after 9 months for an interview after having sent hundreds of cvs.
Also, it seems there are no magical number of hours, some military pilots or instructors cant find a job.
Given the crappy state of the job market, i just have one advice for UK and european wannabes : stay away from this JAR ATPL scam.

Strangely Brown
2nd Aug 2001, 19:50
Tarmach,

Was it worth it? Todays answer is probably not as I am yet to find employment. Tommorows answer will hopefully be absolutely. The problems that each individual student face in taking this decision can be wide ranging but are usually financial. Ideally I would have liked to do an FI rating immediately after MCC, however I needed to start paying back some debt. I had saved about £25k before I started and therefore needed credit for the remainder. I could have waited until I had the full amount but I was 32yrs at the time and decided I had to make a decision then.

I am now at the point where I have to consider the FI rating as the only plausible route to employment. It's another £5k and more importantly 6 weeks off work. I may then try and find instructional work abroad to gain hours more quickly than in the UK.

There is no rhyme or reason as to whether some people get employed before others. One of the lads I met followed the same process as myself, was a truck driver, a year older than me, failed ALL his ATPL's at least once and his IR twice and now fly's a B737.

Some people who read this post will say I haven't tried had enough. If they would like to say that to me in person I will gladly break their legs.

Modular or Integrated? Do whichever suits you best.
I was slightly confused by all the postings regarding the criteria that Brymon require. It states a requirement to have attended a full time approved course or have 1000hrs. It doesn't mention CAP509. The only pilots this would exclude as far as I can tell is someone who has done a non approved IR after 700 hours and not increased their hours.

Enough waffle

[ 02 August 2001: Message edited by: Strangely Brown ]

Tarmach
2nd Aug 2001, 21:19
Thanks Strangely Brown for your answer. I guess some of it does depend on who you know etc. Do you regret doing the IR and the MCC instead of doing the FI qualification? Well good luck anyway!

piperindian, so if we are to stay are from this JAA FCL, where else is there to go? Why don't you do a type rating and more hours? Did you do your training at a CAP509 school.
Do you think the hour requirments change according to the person in question?

Strangely Brown
3rd Aug 2001, 13:38
Tarmach

No I don't think I regret doing the MCC and IR renewal over the FI rating. Ideally I would like to have all 3 but again finance is the stumbling block.

I found that I had a lot more positive responses from airlines once I had completed the MCC course and increased my hours somewhat. I could spend the £5k on hour building rather than the FI rating. I know I could get another 175hrs for £5k in the states which would put me close to 600hrsTT. This would be all single time (except 40ish twin).

You will learn that this is a game and each airline has it's own set of rules. It is impossible to accommodate all of them. 600 hours may land a job with one airline whereas an FI rating may land a job with another.

Gather as much information as you can from the thousands of postings on this network and then make up your own mind.

pjdj777
3rd Aug 2001, 14:05
FWIW - I did a "Modular" route, though I hold a CAA license, so costs might be a little more under JAA.

Took me three years, I worked two jobs at the same time as doing this, and built some extra hours multi flying. The advantage of modular is that you can quit if it isn't what you thought, and you can take a break to rebuild your bank account. It takes a little longer but I think it's a good way of doing it in "bite sized chunks"

PPL in UK
IMC in UK
Multi in US
Night Rating in US
Hours Building in US
Correspondance Course for Navs, Techs and PerfA
BCPL 15 hour course
Approved BCPL - CPL/IR Upgrade
MCC
All first time passes
Currently got 315 hours or so

Costs, including lost wages (three months unpaid for the IR), hotel stays etc etc £42000.00.

Worthwhile? Well I haven't got the job jet, but I've come close. I'm holding off an FI rating for the time being, but it is an option.