PDA

View Full Version : Finding expat work?

cargocapt
19th May 2019, 20:08
I'm a 2000 hour pilot, MEL\SEL\SES\Rotor\Instrument CFI\CFII Rotor current in the US. Do not have ATP. I'd like to go do some overseas flying for a bit. I'm single and have nothing holding me here in the states. Just thought it would be fun to become an expat for a while and fly in some unique places.

How does one go about finding jobs overseas? I've spoke with some head hunters but they want money upfront.

pilotchute
20th May 2019, 02:11
As you probably already know, nobody credible makes you pay for a job.

Back on subject. What sort of flying do you intend to do? If you have no type ratings with time on that type the best job you can hope for outside the USA is flying a caravan in Africa or Asia.

cargocapt
20th May 2019, 03:03
As you probably already know, nobody credible makes you pay for a job.

Back on subject. What sort of flying do you intend to do? If you have no type ratings with time on that type the best job you can hope for outside the USA is flying a caravan in Africa or Asia.

Of course I am not going to pay for a job. People who ask that should be taken to the flight levels and "dropped off".

I am open to anything. Looking for something new. Wouldn't mind a caravan in the bush but could easily go airlines (whatever they call 121 outside the US). I don't have a ATP but I had lots of students who were going right seat in a 737 with less than 1000 hours. So I am "guessing" I would qualify for something like that? I'm jiggy with a 73 FO position for a while. I get that I would be the "alien" so I expect to be an outsider and everything that goes with it.

Global Aviator
20th May 2019, 04:12
Looking at your experience... Start with a US regional, get the ATP.

No ATP will hold you back and some places you won’t even get a look in.

That said as mentioned, C208 etc, Africa?, Indonesia?....

Good luck and enjoy!!!

pilotchute
20th May 2019, 12:51
To get hired by airlines outside the USA you must have time on a plus 20T jet. All these guys you taught are going to work for airlines in their own country.

hans brinker
20th May 2019, 16:57
Of course I am not going to pay for a job. People who ask that should be taken to the flight levels and "dropped off".

I am open to anything. Looking for something new. Wouldn't mind a caravan in the bush but could easily go airlines (whatever they call 121 outside the US). I don't have a ATP but I had lots of students who were going right seat in a 737 with less than 1000 hours. So I am "guessing" I would qualify for something like that? I'm jiggy with a 73 FO position for a while. I get that I would be the "alien" so I expect to be an outsider and everything that goes with it.

All of the people going into a 737 with less than 1000 hours fall into 2 categories:
Legacy flight training program for a national carrier. or, Pay2Fly.

If you are from the USA and don't have another passport you will need a visum to work anywhere outside the USA, no airline will sponsor a low time pilot for that, and you would not get one one your own.

You only have an FAA licence, so if you want to work outside of the US, at your experience level you will not get anything above a commercial equivalent, and no airline will touch you if you don't have a local licence.

The only option I see is things like mission flying ( AIM AIR - Mission Aviation - Serving those who serve (http://aimair.org/) ) or something like that.

You don't have an ATP? No Turbine time? how much ME fixed wing? I suggest going to a US regional and getting a bit of experience.....

B-757
21st May 2019, 03:23
..Yes your best option, in the long run, is to get on with a regional carrier in the US, fly there for a few years, and then apply for a contract job overseas..I would say 3000 TT / 1000 PIC (FAR121) is the minimum needed, before any foreign airline would seriously look at you..This is based on my experience flying on 3 different continents, including the US, over the past 30yrs..<br /><br />..Also keep in mind, that the Aviation World is a small world today..So do your best, behave, and somebody else will help you to find a job..Good luck !!<br /><br />Fly safe,<br />B-757

WhatShortage
21st May 2019, 12:37
Unless you want to go to asia and fly a caravan or something like that... You'll probably need to pay somewhere else for a right seat ( expect 30000 for the type + accom etc ). All the guys you are teaching are from countries that either accept FAA licenses or they convert it into their national and then, apply for the national carrier ( like egyptians with egyptair, recently hired a sh** ton of pilots with no experience). As many of the guys have already mentioned, you'd have a better and more affordable chance in the US with a regional. No hours on 20T+/EFIS or ATP= hard time.

Best of luck!

BluSdUp
21st May 2019, 18:49
CargoCpt
Soooo,,,
2000 hrs and no ATP.
I had to get my FAA licences in a hurry for a good job.
Took me 4 days including the test, or was it 3?
Oh , and the sim test.
What is wrong with You BOY!
Go get it.
Oh , and you need a passport and a load of Visa.
Now get Your stuff sorted!
Good Luck.
Cpt B