PDA

View Full Version : PPL theory with no flying

Neufunk
19th May 2019, 16:49
Hey,

I've got around one year to make myself more competitive for some ab-initio cadet programs.

After some research I learned that during admissions, great emphasis is being put on "commitment to aviation" and this is one of the areas where I lack. While I love aviation, I am always up to date / read a lot and I experiment a lot with flight simulators, I haven't done much else besides taking a short Cessna initiation flight.

I've been thinking about taking a PPL theory course in order to show some "hard" commitment. I'm planning to get my PPL anyway if I don't get accepted in one of the programs. The problem is that my financial situation doesn't allow me to also do the practice right now (or else I wouldn't have money to fund the cadet programs).

Is this something I should really be worried about? My biggest worry is forgetting a lot of the stuff learned, but then I can always go for a brush-up course / hit the books before actually doing the flying. What is your take on this matter?

Kriekos
9th Jun 2019, 07:36
I am doing my PPL as well at the same time as trying to get into cadet programs. I am pretty sure it won't hurt your resume saying that your doing the PPL theoretics. It's not expensive (few 100 euro's and probably you will be able to get them cheaper second hand somewhere) and not to difficult. For me it is a nice warm up for what is to come in the ATPL. You don't have to know and remember everything in there but it will give you some basic knowledge on a lot of the subjects of the ATPL theoretics. If it is appreciated by the interviewers, even better.

I am studying the BAFA-books.

N2201
10th Jun 2019, 08:46
Thank you! nice to see similar thinking people. If you can do share where you got your study material from

Kriekos
12th Jun 2019, 18:51
I have tried to reply this a couple of times but my replies don't get through. You can studying the BAFA books (which are in Dutch) and you can contact BAFA for them. I have found second hand ones online but I can4t share links so PM me if you need the link. Hope this ones gets through...

=======================

Until you have a posting history you don't have access to private messaging and adding urls.

N2201
13th Jun 2019, 22:47
Kriekos, I don't understand Dutch :(
Thanks for sharing.

parkfell
14th Jun 2019, 10:25
If you really want to demonstrate a passion for aviation, get yourself down to your local flying club at weekends.
Ask if you can get involved on the ground. Start as a "hangar rat" sweeping the hangar floors. Get yourself noticed. Other jobs will follow. You might find that an invitation to go flying will follow?

That is demonstrating an interest in aviation where money is not available to afford flying.

Neufunk
14th Jun 2019, 21:07
I am planning to do just that this upcoming holiday. Thanks for the advice.

I gave up on the "PPL theory" idea after some more thinking. This gap between the theory and the practical part could result in some problems down the line. Besides, it still isn't equal to a full PPL (lack of practice) yet you give the interviewer(s) the chance to have a dig at your PPL knowledge.

N2201
14th Jun 2019, 23:52
Not to give up on theory first idea completely. I'm planning to clear all the exams first by self study, that will also convince me how much interested I really am.

+TSRA
15th Jun 2019, 02:52
I gave up on the "PPL theory" idea after some more thinking. This gap between the theory and the practical part could result in some problems down the line. Besides, it still isn't equal to a full PPL (lack of practice) yet you give the interviewer(s) the chance to have a dig at your PPL knowledge.

It's better to have some knowledge when asked than no knowledge at all. If you want to be a professional pilot, now is the time to act like it. This is a profession of continual learning and adjusting, and if you're squeamish about being wrong, this is not the industry for you.

You are correct that there is theory in aviation that requires practical exercises and without said practice, you could be in trouble. But this does not really apply to the PPL as much as an Instrument Rating. Knowledge regarding meteorology or navigation, principles of flight or general aircraft knowledge does not require in-aircraft training. A solid understanding of the basics through pre-reading will often make you a better student in these subjects when it comes time to have you apply the "one-in-sixty rule" or "double-track error method". A cumulus cloud is a cumulus cloud because of the stability of the air. It does not require you to be in an airplane to know that, but it does require that you read a book or two. Your PPL theory training is not the place to find out that you don't have a solid grasp on trigonometry or physics. Better to find that out now and be able to fix it than fail your course.

Getting questions wrong is not a harbinger of failure in anything but an exam. Sometimes it's quite the opposite. When I conducted interviews for a previous airline, I would look to see how someone reacted when they were called out on their incorrect information. If they accepted their error and showed a willingness to learn from it, then that was fine - I could teach that person. Being wrong is OK (outside a written exam). It's how you handle being wrong that is of most concern. As I said, this is an industry of life long learning, and if you're worried today about people "digging at your knowledge" then you are in for a very rude awakening when you get to the airlines because that's all we do.

Neufunk
15th Jun 2019, 09:26
Thanks for your valuable advice.

I understand that this is an industry of life long learning. My main fear was exactly what you said: failing the interview due to wrong answers. You have one chance to pass your interview and your abilities to really show any progress are limited (but you can show a willingness to learn, that's true).

I am definitely doing some reading. I got hold of the Oxford Aviation PPL theory which I am definitely reading a few times before going to the interviews. I don't really know if actually going the extra mile to get the written exams before the interviews would be an advantage of a liability.

2unlimited
15th Jun 2019, 09:43
You could also find a flying club where they do some gliding. This would be invaluable experience, and does not need to be so expensive.
Get an extra job so you can pay for some flying lessons.
Depending on your age, join the air cadets.

parkfell
15th Jun 2019, 09:53
The primary purpose of your perspective interview is to determine if you are the 'right stuff' and worth the investment. Do the interview panel get a warm glowing feeling when discussing your performance?
First impressions are important. Some people have made up their minds within a very short period of time.

What this interview is not, is a post CPL/IR job interview when your technical knowledge (ATPL exams) may well be tested as well. Actually knowing, understanding & explaining your stuff; not passed the exams by simply hammering away at the well known question banks with it mainly dumped once the exams are a distant memory.

2unlimited
15th Jun 2019, 10:03
Many companies don't even ask technical knowledge questions during interviews.
Much is based on Competency skills, where they want to know about your experience so far in life in various "situations" you might have had in life situations.