PDA

View Full Version : UPS chances without a Bachelor's degree

tangalanga
18th May 2019, 09:59
Hi guys.
Would UPS consider you for an interview without having a 4 year degree, regardless of your experience?
I'm a B747-8 Captain, mid 40's, and around 11000hs flying time experience.
Thank you!!!

bafanguy
18th May 2019, 11:17
tanga,

The competition for UPS is every bit as fierce and competitive as any other US career-destination carrier. Perhaps more so since they're hiring fewer numbers of pilots. All the competitive applicants will have the degree regardless of advertised minimum qualifications. You might have a look here for more info:

https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/ups/

https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/ups/117739-ups-2019-hiring.html

tangalanga
18th May 2019, 17:36
Thank you bafan. I did searched for "UPS" but couldn't find anything. I'll check the forums.

bafanguy
18th May 2019, 19:29
I'd imagine one can find the occasional example of someone hired by UPS without a degree but I'd wager they're few and far between. Published minimums for hiring are largely meaningless; it's who actually gets called that tells the story. We all know how THAT goes ! Can't win if ya don't enter though.

767__FO
19th May 2019, 09:07
Seriously, if you are flying 747, pick a flight related major to make it legal for you to study in cruise, just do it, or not.

havick
20th May 2019, 00:18
Seriously, if you are flying 747, pick a flight related major to make it legal for you to study in cruise, just do it, or not.

TESU will credit you all your flying so all you have to take is the gen ed subjects. Even then most of them can be given to you by way of CLEP exams

fuelsurvey
20th May 2019, 10:53
TESU will credit you all your flying so all you have to take is the gen ed subjects. Even then most of them can be given to you by way of CLEP exams
That's where I graduated from. It's fully accredited. I received some credits for flight training and from some prior courses I had taken. I tested out of a lot. Took me about a year and $6,000 to be able to check the 4 year box.

flyboyike
20th May 2019, 12:39

As in Thomas Edison State?

fuelsurvey
20th May 2019, 14:15
Yes, that's it.

fuelsurvey
21st May 2019, 13:16
Another user sent me a PM asking about TESU but their settings don't allow me to respond. I'll go ahead and post my response to them publicly, it might be useful for someone else as well.

Hello,

Here's a link to a post I wrote on another forum.

https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-I-m-done-too--22344?pid=186096#pid186096

That forum will be your best resource. There are several ways to earn credits quickly and inexpensively. My post will give you a general idea of what you need to do but it's several years old so it will be outdated.

Good luck. It's a daunting task but once you put your mind to it you can knock it out quickly.

bafanguy
6th Jan 2022, 14:09
Not UPS info but I couldn't find another place to post it. Delta appears to have moved the college degree requirement to "preferred" status according to airlineapps.com. Hard to say for sure what this means:

"High school diploma or GED equivalent"

"Graduate of a four-year degree program from a college or university accredited by a U.S. Dept. of Education recognized accrediting organization is preferred."

https://www.airlineapps.com/jobs/details.aspx?emp=Delta-Air-Lines&job=First-Officer

bafanguy
6th Jan 2022, 17:01
This from Delta's pilot-recruiting page on Facebook:

Why didn't they arrive at this conclusion a long time ago ?:

"...there are highly qualified candidates – people who we would want to welcome to our Delta family – who have gained more than the equivalent of a college education through years of life and leadership experience."

"After a comprehensive review of our pilot hiring requirements, Delta has decided to make a four-year college degree “preferred” rather than “required” for first officer candidates, effective immediately.

While we feel as strongly as ever about the importance of education, there are highly qualified candidates – people who we would want to welcome to our Delta family – who have gained more than the equivalent of a college education through years of life and leadership experience. Making the four-year degree requirement preferred removes unintentional barriers to our Delta flight decks.

There are no other changes to our requirements, or to our continued commitment to hiring the world’s best pilots.

We’re excited about our future at Delta and we’re proud of the many things we are doing to make the dream of becoming a Delta pilot a reality for talented, hard-working and committed people who love this industry.

If you have questions, please send us a direct message here on our Facebook page."

All hat and no cows
13th Jan 2022, 14:24
Yup, for Delta Air Lines to remove the “degree required” tells you the state of play with opportunities in the USA. UPS has hired without a degree with about the level of experience the Original poster has specified. Certainly apply if you have not already.

bafanguy
13th Jan 2022, 16:43
Yup, for Delta Air Lines to remove the “degree required” tells you the state of play with opportunities in the USA.

All hat,

I'd tend to agree with that. But, it remains to be seen what quals a Delta applicant must have to offset the lack of the degree. The rank-and-file applicant will still have a degree.