PDA

View Full Version : B1 Licence Exams

JamieHolden
16th May 2019, 12:14
Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum, so apologies if this has been covered many many times before (I am sure it has).

I am after some advice on becoming a B1 engineer. I have worked for a Part 145 MRO for approx 7 years, and was wondering whether I could just sit the B1 exams in order to apply for a licence?

I have access to all the modules so could work through them individually prior to sitting the exams.

I am based in the south of England, so would the CAA in Gatwick be the best place to sit these exams or does anyone know of any other approved companies?

One last thing, does anyone know how much each exam costs?

Any additional information regarding the process would be hugely appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Jamie

YOUNGBUCK
17th May 2019, 11:57
Hi Jamie,

See Aircraft maintenance licence examinations | UK Civil Aviation Authority (http://www.caa.co.uk/Commercial-industry/Aircraft/Airworthiness/Engineer-licences/Examinations/Aircraft-maintenance-licence-examinations/) and the CAA website for further info inc. fees (around £45 per exam)

CAA holds exams at Oxford, Gatwick, Luton, Ayr and Coventry or you can sit exams at other external part 147 companies inc. training schools such as LRTT, AST. colleges such as Barry College (ICAT) and MRO/Airline training departments - although not all accept external candidates.
Prices are different for each organisation.

It is important that you have your 7 years MRO experience well documented in your logbook with a good variation of work detailed. Continue to fill out your logbook whilst studying so that once you have passed the exams you are ready to apply.

JamieHolden
18th May 2019, 20:25
Hi,

Thank you very much for your reply. It is much appreciated.

Do you know if there any examples or guidelines for completing an acceptable log book, or is it just documenting any and every type of work you have done?

Is the a specific log book that I need to complete? I have just been writing down the work I have carried out along with taking photographs. Would this be acceptable? I should imaging that peoples log books are quite large?

Thanks again.

Regards,

Jamie

Joshua Mwesigwa
29th May 2019, 09:35
Hi, am sorry in advance if this is inappropriate here but I have no choice now that I've got a chance here. I'm also a self starter but still just reading the required modules for B1. I want to sit for the tests in UK next year and as well do work experience there. I dont have any experience in the industry yet but I have the passion for this. What advice would you give me that I really need and perhaps some online study materials if you dont mind.
Thankyou.

morton
31st May 2019, 14:13
Try looking on the Airmech site CAA Licensing (http://www.airmech.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php/21-CAA-Licensing)
Your questions have probably been asked a few times before on there along with the information you want. Might take a bit of looking through past posts though.
Good luck!

YOUNGBUCK
2nd Jun 2019, 20:21
Most Engineers keep a logbook - the CAA have a logbook: CAP 741
You are not mandated to purchase the CAA logbook but keep your records along a similar format i.e ATA Chapter / A/C Type or Equipment / Reg or SN / Description of work and stamping supervisors details etc. The tidier and more logical your logbook is will aid processing and updating to demonstrate your recency in the future.
Some european logbooks have extra columns for work category too and time spent etc.

See EASAMANs posts for this type of stuff, here is an example of austrian logbook with a guide to tasks to be completed https://easa-66.eu/pluginfile.php?file=%2F10833%2Fmod_resource%2Fcontent%2F1%2F AustroTaskList.pdf

Try to include all you have done, don't overlook logging testing, troubleshooting, work using WDM or SWPM, MEL/CDL Dispatches, SB Embodiment or AD accomplishment, SRM repairs, Standard Practices in ATA 20/70/51 etc or company worksheets for checks from transit to c check.±!
No matter how obvious or remedial the task may be panelling to gain access to a pump change will have its own reference for example and some SB's will be as simple as carrying out a GVI. Get it all in!

JamieHolden
2nd Jun 2019, 20:35
Thank you very much for this information. It is incredibly helpful.

Just a question though, say I am applying for a B1 engineer license, do I have to cover every aspect highlighted with a B1?

Just wondering as I am working at a 145 MRO company who work to CMM's, SRM's, SB's, AD's etc, but not much with regards to AMM's.

NoTraps
3rd Jun 2019, 06:51
You wont be able to apply for a B1 licence without tasks carried out IAW an AMM. Simple as that.

As stated above you will need 7 years experience working on aircraft, so it would probably worth while going somewhere where you can get that experience. Although it doesn't stop you taking the exams in the meantime.

BluFin
4th Jun 2019, 16:53
Take a tip, download a copy of part 66 and read it for yourself, get it clear in your own head what you need to do. Don't rely on gossip and crew room advice though well intentioned it can be a landmine and blow a limb off