PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Career Advice at 49

PC4CAB
15th May 2019, 21:52
Folks,

First, my apologies if this in the wrong forum. I'm looking for realistic advice on changing careers. I'm currently 48, and bitten by the flying bug. Actually, I was bitten by it about 40 years ago, but life took me down a different path. I have the good fortune to find myself in a position where I can afford to take a risk, and I'm thinking about becoming an airline pilot. I currently have my private and instrument, and the time and funds to pursue a commercial and mutli-engine.

My question is, would an airline (majors or minors) hire someone at my age as a first officer? I think I can finish up my training and get the remainder of the 1500 hours I need in the next 12-18 months. Do I have a shot to finally follow my dream, or is it too late?

I'd appreciate any constructive advice.

-Bill

Fokker28
18th May 2019, 22:49
They'll absolutely hire you, provided you are a viable candidate in all other respects. There are guys and gals hired at the Legacy carriers every single month in your age bracket, and the regionals are NOT in a position to be turning away candidates.
I'd pick the one that means no commuting (if possible), and if not, then the one with the best QOL (paid commuter hotels, schedule flexibility, etc). Once you've narrowed down to your top choices, go to airlinepilotcentral's regional forums and read up on what life is like at each carrier.
Be forewarned: regional flying is often called a "young person's game" because the schedules can be absolutely brutal. Like, completely reverse your body clock in a 3-day trip with 12+ legs of flying brutal.

flyboyike
19th May 2019, 00:56
I don't see why not, you're good for 16 years, that's well worth the investment.