PDA

View Full Version : Most cost effective ATPL flight test

WannaBeBiggles
15th May 2019, 20:53
I’m considering my options to gain a full ATPL and given CASA has made this process quite difficult I am looking at the most time and cost effective way to gain an ATPL, be it FAA, EASA (probably not time effective), or any other ICAO ATPL to be honest. I have more than enough hours to meet the requirement.

I know I won’t be able to transfer to an Australian ATPL, but that’s not really of concern to me (or overseas airlines for that matter)

any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

AerocatS2A
15th May 2019, 20:56
The most cost effective way is to work for an employer who will do it for you.

bafanguy
15th May 2019, 21:07
I’m considering my options to gain a full ATPL... I am looking at the most time and cost effective way to gain an ATPL, be it FAA...or any other ICAO ATPL to be honest.

any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

WBB,

I assume you've considered a trip north and some time at a US regional and it didn't fit your plans ?

AerocatS2A touched on the concept. (https://www.pprune.org/members/81689-aerocats2a)

WannaBeBiggles
15th May 2019, 21:53
WBB,

I assume you've considered a trip north and some time at a US regional and it didn't fit your plans ?

AerocatS2A touched on the concept. (https://www.pprune.org/members/81689-aerocats2a)

My hours/experience make me eligible for commuting contracts, so while the USA isn't out of the question it's not at the top of the list and it's not really in my nature to simple pickup a position in the USA, get an ATPL and bail.

bafanguy
15th May 2019, 22:26
WBB,

I understand. Best of luck to you.

Ia8825
16th May 2019, 01:35
I’m having the exact same problem as the OP. From what I can tell, the most effective way and the way I am likely to do it is go to the USA and do an FAA ATP course with a 737 type rating. It’s still going to be expensive, however I will come out of it with a type rating and the FAA ATPL. The type rating can also transfer onto the Australian licence, and if I really want to I can convert to an Australian ATPL by doing the flight test. I don’t think I will get much change from $30k Aus, but will have a very useful licence. Probably not the way everyone wants to go though.

Global Aviator
16th May 2019, 05:45
Can you take a year LWOP? Tell the US regional your only joining for a year. If they still want you then you leave after a year with your honor and principles intact.

Pity there aren’t more with them in the game.

bafanguy
16th May 2019, 11:39
...it's not really in my nature to simple pickup a position in the USA, get an ATPL and bail.

WBB,

Just as addendum to your thoughts, circumstances with the regionals these days are that they don't really expect an applicant to spend years there. Everyone knows regionals are a steppingstone for the majority of applicants. In fact, for example, some pilots retiring out of the military will spend a brief time ( a few months to a couple of years) in a regional to get current again and move on to a legacy spot. I get the impression no one's feelings are hurt by this.

The only complication I can see is the acceptance of sign-on bonuses which carries some length-of-service restrictions to avoid having to repay some or all of the money.

Historically, there was even a time when NO legacy carrier would accept pilots from another legacy even if they were laid off ( I know because I tried to help some friends but to no avail)...some sort of gentleman's agreement I suppose. Nowadays, people are freely jumping around from one career-destination carrier to another at any point if their personal circumstances require...even when not laid off. No harm...no foul.

I'm not advocating anyone do something they consider unethical. But we're living in very different times here lately and all involved parties know it.