PDA

View Full Version : Pommie Beer.....

Red Wine
4th Aug 2002, 21:40
Vfrpilotpb

Oh now you have done it..........arn't going to let that one go.....

Are you talking about that warm tar........or that maidens %$#*....

You have really fallen off the edge.......

Vfrpilotpb
5th Aug 2002, 05:36
I am talking about the Real stuff, pulled by hand bya a lusty, busty(excuse that comment Whirley) barmaid, who can draw a flaggon of ale with a head that will stay on it to the last slurp, not that weasel pea amber nectar served mainly from a air blown tube of Aloominum,:D :p

SASless
5th Aug 2002, 05:57
I really wanted to stay out of this one.....having found the need to minimize my intake of that lovely tasting adult malt beverage which I have developed such a fondness for .....but I's got to ask ya....why is it....in Blighty...there is "Budweiser" in dem "aloominum" tins.....behind every Pub bar I visited on my past three trips to the UK?

Now do not for one fleeting instant....think I am in any way suggesting "Budweiser" is beer, good, something Americans are proud of....or in any way being held up as any thing but a waste of beer money......but why is it found to be competitive goods in the UK? Theakstons is my favorite!

ShyTorque
5th Aug 2002, 13:12
SASless,

We have had beer from the States ever since they cut the investment money to UK tv companies, causing a massive influx of programmes from your side of the pond. I'll drink it ice cold, but then I could probably drink ice cold buffalo sweat as well.:)

This has also brought a demand for other goods such as baseball caps (to be worn backwards by the UK's less intellectually gifted), MacDonalds burgers, silly hair and skin products, vulture culture lawyers, insurance against anything you can imagine etc.

We do like the Simpsons (although some episodes perhaps ought to be shown after the watershed hour).

We don't like your cars though, they suck. ;)

SASless
5th Aug 2002, 16:43
Why is it the "best" of one's national character seems to be the easiest to find its way to other lands?

A dear friend came up with the way to cure his teenaged sons from wearing their ball caps in reverse.....told them he heard the reason was the teens were doing that because the bills tickled their boyfriends belly otherwise. He said the two caps in question rotated 180 degrees in a most satisfactory fashion.

I drive a huge, smelly, diesel powered, four wheel drive truck....gave up on cars years ago. Anything that you cannot haul four bales of hay in along with your hounddog, mason's level, and spitcup....just isn't worth having.

Don't you just love reversed ball caps, booming bass thumping from 5,000 watt car stereos, Mac anything, baggy pants with butt clevage showing, american sue happy lawyers, gosh....ain't it great?

5th Aug 2002, 22:14
SASless - if the 'best' of our culture was to make it to your shores, you would have to put up with union jack shorts, people from Essex, thieving scousers, white van man, chinless wonders, Jeffrey Archer and being crap at your national sport.

Theakstons shmeakstons- please allow me to stand you a pint of Old Speckled Hen or Ringwood ales Old Thumper the next time you are in blighty.

SASless
6th Aug 2002, 06:36
Old Speckled Hen....enjoyed that one....but I get a bit leary when Brits offer me anything to do with Thumping...becoming acquainted with Thumpers.....is it something I have said?

You have a deal...have been contemplating a week long holiday in the UK on my way back to the Middle East.....have some friends I wish to look up.

I really do miss the pubs and fine local brews.....hand pumps.....warm fires....walks in the countryside. While weathered out at the Sunderland Parachute Club....a group of us went for a walkabout on Hadrian's Wall and got thoroughly soaked in temperatures just above freezing.....to discover a lovely pub that served wildgame and had the most pleasing fire going.

Unfortunatley,that part of English culture left with you guys in the late 1700's.

Roundagain
6th Aug 2002, 09:49
Sasless,

It is still possible to find the odd good pub however most of them are well hidden and off the beaten track. The 'Good Pub Guide' is the bible and is well worth investing in one for your week in UK.

Please don't try those chain pubs that have appeared like a nasty rash of late. They have a carefully cultivated yet false 'cosy' apperance and and often can be identified by the attached kiddies adventure playground (aka 'Wacky Warehouse'). Inside the true horror becomes apparent with young, disinterested bar staff, terrible beer, plastic menus, antiques fresh from Taiwan etc, etc...

Do yourself a favour and head out into the sticks with a hire car and the 'Good Pub Guide'. If you find a pub selling Wadworths 6X or Greene & King Abbott ale - then so much the better - enjoy.:)

HeliAviator
7th Aug 2002, 14:31
Chaps, come down to Somerset, we have proper pubs, with proper ale (comes in a real barrel). There are two genuine old English pubs in the village where I live and the CAMERA (Campaign for Real Ale), Somerset pub of the year for the last few years running. As to Aussie gnats pee, its pants. Okay if you are stuck in the outback with the temperatures in 100s and your in a pub where all the girls look like Crocodile Dundee in drag and smell worse, I'd drink it if there wasn't clean water.:o

Droopy
7th Aug 2002, 16:41
Ooh, I dunno - Cooper's Sparkling, imported and sold bottle conditioned is pretty good stuff.

As for the other brands - Aussie or Danish or Indian or whatever - if it's bland p*ss made in a UK factory close to a motorway roundabout it doesn't matter how they market the stuff, it still tastes like bland p*ss.

Vfrpilotpb
8th Aug 2002, 05:26
Newcastle Brown, and Black Sheep, these are real Ales for real Men, the rest is left to the boys, but every now and then the juice of the Juniper berry with a little ice and tonic goes down very well!!;)

S76Heavy
8th Aug 2002, 15:08
Yes, like American, security staff and intelligence..:(