PDA

View Full Version : QUESTIONS About London Guildhall FULL-TIME ATPLs September 2002

spitfire747
4th Aug 2002, 20:07
Hi

I am on the LGU ATPL course starting 2nd September 2002 and just wanted to hear from people who have previously done the full time course.
I will be staying with relatives 25mins to the East of the uni and was wondering how the course panned out.
I know daily it is 9 - 5, just wondered what people did in the evenings, did they study alone for 3 hours, or get into groups and study, what about the weekends.

If anyone is on the course sarting in 4 weeks please get in contact

Cheers
Spitty

CAT3C AUTOLAND
4th Aug 2002, 20:41
Hey RG Mitchell Design :)

For some reason your post some time ago, I think was titled something like 'I have done it now I am scared' stuck in my mind, and was only thinking a few weeks ago whilst at NAC in the states that you were starting your full time ATPL ground school in September! :D

I too am starting full time ATPL ground school with Guildhall Uni, but I am on the January course.

Anyway, to give some input to the questions you asked, please review.

Obvioulsy I do not have the first hand experience, however I have had a number of friends who have been through it, and have all exams now passed. It would appear that the norm is to put in a good 16 hours a day study including college time, with one day a week off :eek:

I would imagine the amount of time you spend studying is purely up to you, it all depends on your abilities. I am sure once you get to know the crowd you are studying with, you will hook up with people and 'help' each other, preferably outside the bar :D

Spit, you will have to make yourself known to me because you will be there when I start.

Good luck mate with the studies, I am sure you will be alright!!

BroomstickPilot
5th Aug 2002, 11:50
I am a recent dischargee from the ATPL course at LGU.

Our course found that to be certain of good exam results the LGU course requires 3 hours study per night, every night, and about 6 hours of a weekend, every weekend, just in order to keep up with the work. (You do well to have accommodation close to the Uni). Living that close, you may well be able to hook up with some of the guys living locally in the hostels.

The LGU course is significantly longer than some of the private sector colleges. LGU don't just 'cram study' you to get you through exams: they really cover the syllabus and actually teach you the lot.

However, on the downside, their courses may contain up to 25 people, whereas the private colleges have much smaller class sizes. This too makes a difference as there is sure to be less personal attention. This may contribute to the need to put in more hours to master the material being taught.

You will find the ATPL course the most difficult thing you have ever done, mainly because of the huge workload to be coped with in a mere six months.

Good luck!

Tinker
5th Aug 2002, 12:46
Having done the old CAA exams I would say that 3 hrs a night plus six on the week end is fair. Thats probably the minimum though as the 3 hrs in the evening was just about enough to finish the course work I was given plus a little bit of repitition to make sure it stuck.
My time during the weekend was soley spent revising reguardless of any unfinished work and could vary from 6 hrs total to 12 hrs a day with a break every 40 mins or so.
Anything after 6.00 on the week end was fueled entirely by alcohol. Often after studying I would sit down with a tinnie to relax then feel guilty about not doing something constructive so i'd pick up a book and thumb through it. Whether it done any good I can't say.
Rest assured you will still find plenty of time to go out on the lash and chase the girls. ;)

License to Fly
7th Aug 2002, 16:20
Have you looked at Oxford for Full time learning ?

I am here now and the course is excellent