PDA

View Full Version : Bangladesh airline crash landing in yangon

Rangoon
8th May 2019, 13:54
Report of Bangladesh airlines crash during landing in Yangon . Myanmar.
no casualty so far.
we had heavy rain today in Yangon.

Airbubba
8th May 2019, 14:19
From The Myanmar Times: Biman plane crashes in Yangon airport
Thompson Chau (https://www.mmtimes.com/author/thompson-chau) 08 May 2019 https://www.mmtimes.com/sites/mmtimes.com/files/styles/mmtimes_ratio_c_normal_detail_image/public/news-images/planecrash-biman.jpg?itok=PrNXtVD7
Photo: Supplied.
A Biman plane crashed on the runway in Yangon International Airport, The Myanmar Times sources said. Sources from the aviation industry told The Myanmar Times that there has been an incident just now with S2-AGQ - Bombardier Dash 8 Q400.

The Myanmar Times received photos of the plane lying on the grass near the runway in Yangon airport.

Posts on social media suggest that the aircraft slid off the runway.

The Myanmar Times has contacted Yangon Aerodrome Company, the operator of Yangon International Airport, to verify the incident.

This story will be updated.

Rangoon
8th May 2019, 14:22
One pilot has a head injury and a Buddhist monk has a arm injury.

ehwatezedoing
8th May 2019, 15:07
One pilot has a head injury
Not wearing his shoulder straps?

Airbubba
8th May 2019, 16:18
An update from the Dhaka Tribune:

Biman plane skids off Yangon airport runwayAshif Islam Shaon, Arifur Rahman Rabbi, Humayun Kabir Bhuiyan (https://www.dhakatribune.com/author/Ashif%20Islam%20Shaon,%20Arifur%20Rahman%20Rabbi,%20Humayun% 20Kabir%20Bhuiyan)

Published at 08:16 pm May 8th, 2019

https://media.dhakatribune.com/uploads/2019/05/ga1gv-1557327325736.jpgRescue workers transport an injured passenger on a stretcher after a passenger aircraft of Biman Bangladesh airlines slipped off a runway at Yangon International airport in Yangon on May 8, 2019 AFPThere have been no reports of casualties in the incident

A Biman Bangladesh Airlines plane skidded off the runway in Yangon International Airport on Wednesday.

Shakil Meraj, general manager of public relations for Biman Bangladesh Airlines told Dhaka Tribune that an S2-AGQ - Bombardier Dash 8 Q400 plane skidded off the runway while landing around 6:22pm due to bad weather.

He also said that all passengers are safe. Biman sent a special flight to Yangon from Dhaka at 10:00pm to bring back the passengers and crew.

Facebook photographs show the plane lying on the grass near the runway in Yangon airport after it slid off the runway.

There were 29 passengers, including a child on-board the flight, besides two pilots and two cabin crew members.

Flight BG060 of Bangladesh Biman took off from Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport around 3:45pm, he said.

Yangon International Airport did not confirm the crash but announced that heavy rain had caused them to suspend "runway operations until further notice," reports AFP.

Other incoming flights were diverted to the capital, Naypyidaw.

Thirty-three people including the crew were on board from Bangladesh, Myanmar, Canada, China, India, France, and Switzerland.

Another senior Biman official said: "To the best of my knowledge, there were no deaths in the mishap."

"Due to bad weather, the aircraft skidded off the runway injuring some passengers and two pilots," he said.

Bangladesh Ambassador to Myanmar, Manjurul Karim Khan Chowdhury, told Dhaka Tribune from Yangon, that the front wheel of the aircraft broke in landing at the airport, where it was raining with strong gusting winds.

Nineteen passengers, including two pilots were admitted to hospital to treat their injuries, he said.

"Eleven passengers were released upon receiving treatment at the airport clinic," he added.

The ambassador also said: "Two of our mission officials are already in the hospital where the injured are being treated. I am also on my way to the hospital."

On March 12 last year, another Bombardier Dash 8 Q400 turboprop plane of US Bangla Airlines with 71 passengers and crew crashed on landing at Nepal's Kathmandu airport, killing 49 people.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1200x800/59815171_2191959967519184_4920561409017774080_o_jpgedit_332f 2ce204f369aa56002c344dc034da1a940b1d.jpg

Livesinafield
8th May 2019, 21:52
How the hell can you carry on and land in TSRA with VRB at 20 knots!

ironbutt57
9th May 2019, 00:05
How the hell can you carry on and land in TSRA with VRB at 20 knots!

thats tame weather for those parts

Icelanta
9th May 2019, 10:42
thats tame weather for those parts
tame for the area it may be,
you do NOT land in these conditions.
You hold or divert.

ironbutt57
9th May 2019, 22:43
tame for the area it may be,
you do NOT land in these conditions.
You hold or divert.

divert to another airport where the weather is the same, or worse...welcome to the Bay of Bengal...and surrounding regions

Hotel Tango
10th May 2019, 10:27
Although you may believe your comment is sound, I would guess you are not familiar with the area and associated weather Icelanta. Should you fly there you might be doing a lot of holding (possibly in equally poor conditions) and diverting (if you have the range to the nearest Icelanta wx free airport.

albatross
10th May 2019, 13:44
Used to fly out of there in a helicopter....very limited options for holding or an good alternate.
Made for some interesting approaches.

safelife
10th May 2019, 14:14
My first experience in Yangon:
Planned to do some landing training there.
Mid of raining season, but weather seemed fine.
How much fuel do we take? Two hours worth seems fine.
Airborne, completed the first pattern.
Turning downwind, lots of rain.
Turning base, tower advises against landing.
Picked up a hold.
Got told airport probably closed next two hours due heavy rain.
Oops.

Icelanta
12th May 2019, 21:11
Although you may believe your comment is sound, I would guess you are not familiar with the area and associated weather Icelanta. Should you fly there you might be doing a lot of holding (possibly in equally poor conditions) and diverting (if you have the range to the nearest Icelanta wx free airport.
we fly daily to the area, but we take enough fuel to either hold or land at a suitable airport. And yes, my comment is sound. It is called airmanship.

the single worst piece of airmanship I saw was recently in DAC by Emirates, departing in a +TS in torrential rain, claiming “ the conditions are within my company limits”... maybe you fly for them, then I pity you and your standards.

ironbutt57
12th May 2019, 23:37
we fly daily to the area, but we take enough fuel to either hold or land at a suitable airport. And yes, my comment is sound. It is called airmanship.

the single worst piece of airmanship I saw was recently in DAC by Emirates, departing in a +TS in torrential rain, claiming “ the conditions are within my company limits”... maybe you fly for them, then I pity you and your standards.

well, aviation is lucky to have such an aviator as yourself...glad you are so much better than the rest...probably best though, to stay inside your own cockpit, and leave others to theirs...

gearlever
13th May 2019, 15:40
well, aviation is lucky to have such an aviator as yourself...glad you are so much better than the rest...probably best though, to stay inside your own cockpit, and leave others to theirs...

Very well put.

India Four Two
17th May 2019, 00:38
Shakil Meraj, general manager of public relations for BimanBangladesh Airlines told Dhaka Tribune that an S2-AGQ - Bombardier Dash 8 Q400 plane skidded off the runway while landing around 6:22pm due to bad weather.

He also said that all passengers are safe.

That’s what a PR person would say, I suppose. Safe is a relative concept.

I learned today that a Calgary passenger broke her back in the accident and is now in hospital in Bangkok.

The crash fractured two of Russell’s vertebrae, compressed her spine and left her with a serious concussion.

https://calgarysun.com/news/local-news/calgary-photographer-takes-first-steps-after-plane-crash-in-myanmar/wcm/3c07ab52-ee97-48d8-9f56-7b018cc721f0

safelife
13th Jan 2020, 02:47
Scary stuff:

https://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=20190508-0

TowerDog
13th Jan 2020, 03:27
While in the air, the captain applied the brake pedal several times. At a height of 44 feet, the captain put the propellers in beta range and reduced the power lever angle to 18 degrees. The aircraft sank again and collided with runway 03 and slid forward. It left the runway and came to a complete stop in the over-run area.

Wow...:ooh:

Checklist Charlie
13th Jan 2020, 05:25
While in the air, the captain applied the brake pedal several times.

That'll stop you every time.:sad:

CC

Busbuoy
13th Jan 2020, 05:33
We are only a "statistically safe" industry because the vast majority of us do not behave, or are not forced into behaving, like this.
We will never be a truly safe industry until we ALL stop behaving or being forced into accepting situations where we have to behave like this.

Andrewgr2
13th Jan 2020, 17:45
I see aviation safety net classify this as controlled flight into terrain – ground. Didn’t look very controlled to me!

DaveReidUK
13th Jan 2020, 22:05
I see aviation safety net classify this as controlled flight into terrain – ground. Didn’t look very controlled to me!

To be fair, that was the Myanmar AAIB's classification. I suspect that ICAO's ADREP will have classed it an as ARC (Abnormal Runway Contact).