PDA

View Full Version : F35 “Intergranular Corrosion “

Sunfish
7th May 2019, 01:38
If the reports are to be believed, The F35 aluminium alloys are prone to intergranular corrosion to the point where they appear to have the corrosion resistance of spaghetti.

One can understand why Lockheed and the U.S. defence forces couldn’t care less. However I would have thought Australia bought these airframes to last 30 years +. Intergranular corrosion in my memory, sets up multiple microscopic sites for fatigue cracking.

‘’So has the RAAF once again followed the great Australian tradition of substandard defence engineering and purchasing?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-05-07/williamtown-joint-strike-fighters-susceptible-to-corrosion/11085220

junior.VH-LFA
7th May 2019, 01:57
Potential risk, detailed analysis, solutions and recommendations made.

What exactly is the problem?

As an aside, all recent RAAF projects have gone pretty well wouldn’t you agree Sunfish? Super Hornet, Growler, C-17, P-8, Falcon 7X, KC-30 and Wedgetail have matured into the best systems of their type in the world. I’m not exactly sure what you’re trying to infer, unless you’re trying to use projects from decades ago that aren’t relevant... but I’m sure you wouldn’t be grasping for attention by clutching at straws; would you?

Sunfish
7th May 2019, 02:40
The problem, my dear VH-LFA, is how the poor bloody taxpayer can afford to pay for it.

Slezy9
7th May 2019, 02:40
Sunfish having another anti-ADF rant. We get it, you don’t like ADF Aviation and you think we’re all bloodthirsty baby killers.

junior.VH-LFA
7th May 2019, 02:49
The problem, my dear VH-LFA, is how the poor bloody taxpayer can afford to pay for it.

Considering where defence spending ranks as a percentage of GDP (still less than 2%), I’m sure it’ll be fine mate.

tartare
7th May 2019, 03:20
Some of us love ADF aviation.
Proudly followed in our household.
Hmmm - intergranular corrosion; would that be anything to do with the fact they're being flown near to or in a salty environment?!
Sorry ABC - I smell a bit of a beat up...

swh
7th May 2019, 04:51
Fact remains that Lockheed have had similar problems before on the C141, C130, C5, and P3. I am not sure if this is related to the corrosion issues found in 2017.

Most times it has been traced back to the material selection and lack of primer.

A30_737_AEWC
7th May 2019, 06:36
Might I politely suggest this topic is more apt for the 'Tech Log' forum ?

A30_737_AEWC
7th May 2019, 06:41
For those interested in further reading on the matter, here are the links to the Defence Department 'Freedom of Information' (FoI) responses which solicited the KPMG analysis report quoted by the ABC article linked to above.

FoI Response - 'Staement of Reasons'
http://www.defence.gov.au/FOI/Docs/Disclosures/336_1819_StatementOfReasons.pdf

KPMG Report - 'F-35 Cost Study on Corrosion Mitigation Options'
http://www.defence.gov.au/FOI/Docs/Disclosures/336_1819_Documents.pdf

Lead Balloon
7th May 2019, 10:02
One of the ‘Big 4’ was engaged? That settles it.

They call the Federal government “The Dairy”.

Sunfish
7th May 2019, 13:57
Thank you A30, I note “the annual cost is (redacted ) -meaning it will enrage taxpayers.

VH - LFA: ‘2% of GDP” is a LOT of money.

Slezy: Not anti ADF but anti ADF engineering.

First interest - the @#$% naval morons that allowed flexible fuel lines to be fitted to HMAS WESTRALIA.

- seeing first hand the state of HMAS Tobruk some years before it was decommissioned.

- the Seasprite saga $1.4 billion

- the F111 DESEAL/RESEAL disaster.

- the collins class submarine.

......and probably many more hidden.

nonsense
7th May 2019, 14:17
- the F111 DESEAL/RESEAL disaster.
The F111 deseal/reseal mess was one of about four case studies in an OH&S textbook I read about ten years ago.
The point was made that the reason Australia had health problems with RAAF personnel, while the USAF had no problems was that...

......and probably many more hidden.
...in the US the job was contracted out, and the contractors used illegal Mexican labour, then walked away from their workers long before problems arose.

In Australia we had a problem because we did things somewhere near right, while in America they hid their problem by inflicting it on people who would go away.

Gnadenburg
8th May 2019, 00:52
First interest - the @#$% naval morons

We are in worrying times an 2% is not enough to spend on defence. But as a taxpayer who wouldn't be concerned with the blunders ? You look at Singapore for example, often savvy buying and they do localise equipment!

Whereas the RAAF on paper seems to be indisputably the most capable air arm in the region, there is no less an urgency for a potent navy. Bungled projects, strategies and national pork barrelling have left the navy short of where it needs to be.