PDA

View Full Version : Instructor / Student ratios

Currybeast
4th Aug 2002, 17:32
Can anybody tell me what the prescribed Instructor ? Student ratio is for a JAR ATPL, and where I can confirm this?

Thanks

fibod
4th Aug 2002, 21:09
1:3 for full-time flying (1:6 for half time). JAR FCL-1 and CAP 682 are the references.

When calculating the numbers, all instructors count, except the CFI who is half an instructor and the Head of Training who should have no students.

Gin Slinger
4th Aug 2002, 22:15
Fibod:

Somebody claimed in another thread recently that a 1:5 instructor/student ratio exists at OATS currently - if true, busting these regulatory limits by quite a margin.

Perhaps the self-sponsored Modular students are put down as part timers? :rolleyes:

Care to comment?

Fwd Wonder Cerebrum
5th Aug 2002, 16:12
See paragraph 13 to appendix 1a to JAR-FCL 1.055/2.055. (6:1/12:1)

Currybeast
5th Aug 2002, 17:20
I have had a look at JAA FCL and it mentions 6:1 for full time, 12:1 for part time? As on yet I have not been able to download the CAP document. Do you have other references?

Fwd Wonder Cerebrum
5th Aug 2002, 17:32
Try the JAA homepage (JARs/JAR-FCL) (http://www.jaa.nl/section1/jars/35/53/355313/355313.pdf) , links to JAR-FCL 2, seems like there's a problem with the link to FCL 1, but it doesn't really matter. Check page 20 in the pdf document.

Reason for edit: FCL 1 link is now ok again...

greengage22
5th Aug 2002, 18:42
Ginslinger,

I don't know what's going at Oxford, either, but it does occur to me that even my local branch of Sketchley's dry cleaners is short-staffed at present (in common with virtually every other business in Britain) because it's late July / early August and people are on their summer holidays. It must affect FTOs as well, but it doesn't necessarily mean that they're going down the tubes permanently.

fibod
5th Aug 2002, 20:24
JAR-FCL 1 Subpart A

Appendix 1a to JAR-FCL 1.055

13 The ratio of all students to flight instructors, excluding the HT, shall not normally exceed 6:1. Class numbers in ground subjects involving a high degree of supervision or practical work shall normally not exceed 12 students.

This assumes ½ time flying, ½ time ground training. When we, and others moved to full-time flying, the CAA issued a edict that we should stick to 3:1 for flying.

On the groundschool side, it’s my understanding that there is no definition of “subjects involving a high degree of supervision or practical work”. Therefore, the CAA’s interpretation is that the maximum number of students in a class should not normally exceed 18.

In terms of Oxford’s compliance with these rules, well, I’m not a Company spokesman: I leave that to my Blue colleague ;) However, please bear in mind that they state the ratio of students to flight instructors; they do not dictate the maximum number of students that a particular instructor may have allocated to him on a particular day. In my experience, which spans more than OATS, it is common practice to adjust the number allocated on a ‘tactical’ basis particularly when the course involves periods of solo flying or simulator training, where an instructor can easily handle extra students for a short period.

The CAA monitors these numbers pretty closely, so we have to comply. And AP has said we will, publicly.

Fwd Wonder Cerebrum
5th Aug 2002, 21:09
I see you found the link. :D

No normal person knows the FCL 1/2/3/4 with appendices, AMCs, or IEMs by memory...

Keith.Williams.
6th Aug 2002, 18:43
Fwd Window,

Are you quoting George Dubya Bush there?

It sounds a bit like him!!