PDA

View Full Version : 60 Minutes Boeing Tonight

wheels_down
5th May 2019, 03:27
https://mediaspy-org-s3.s3.dualstack.ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com/original/3X/6/6/667cbc0909e6b9dd1a5960deec110dc1809ac52c.jpeg (https://mediaspy-org-s3.s3.dualstack.ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com/original/3X/6/6/667cbc0909e6b9dd1a5960deec110dc1809ac52c.jpeg)

SUNDAY, MAY 5, AT 8:40PM ON NINE AFTER LEGO MASTERS

FATAL FLAW
When aircraft manufacturer Boeing announced its brand-new passenger jet, the 737 MAX, it thought it was onto another winner. Airlines around the world – including Australia – ordered thousands. But Boeing was wrong, and the plane has turned out to be a catastrophic failure. In the last six months two of the jets have crashed and 346 people have been killed. In a special edition of 60 MINUTES , Liz Hayes reconstructs the final horrific moments of both Lion Air flight 610 and Ethiopian Airlines flight 302. In startling interviews with 737 pilots, aircraft engineers and a former Boeing insider, Hayes investigates the fatal flaw of the 737 MAX, and questions not only why Boeing designed a plane with the ability to override the control of the pilots, but also why the company didn’t tell the airlines buying the planes it was doing this. Boeing says it can, and will, fix the problem, but Hayes asks whether the damage has already been done. For decades Boeing has relied on the undisputed trust of pilots and millions of passengers flying worldwide. But now, has it all been lost?
Reporter: Liz Hayes
Producer: Gareth Harvey

Preview
https://www.9news.com.au/world/60-minutes-boeing-737-crashes-explosive-truth-behind-planes-with-minds-of-their-own/227c1d08-7138-437e-8e4f-aea7ec9bbab2?fbclid=IwAR2Fmq-6CkvU2YJ3C1qY7Xxjq7cGmiACorCbcDwcTi10k1L-Ljzp3O5aHkY

dr dre
5th May 2019, 03:55
Yes, I’m sure this will be objective, rational and facts based with not a hint of sensationalism or fearmongering as is the norm with any episode of the pinnacle of Australian journalism, 60 Minutes..... /s

Bend alot
5th May 2019, 04:00
Yes, I’m sure this will be objective, rational and facts based with not a hint of sensationalism or fearmongering as is the norm with any episode of the pinnacle of Australian journalism, 60 Minutes..... /s
Snap!

SOPS
5th May 2019, 04:43
Umm.. I think you are mixing up Tracey and Liz Hayes.

Dark Knight
5th May 2019, 05:37
Yes, I’m sure this will be objective, rational and facts based with not a hint of sensationalism or fear mongering as is the norm with any episode of the pinnacle of Australian journalism, 60 Minutes..... /s

Agreed and the (or) other Former Boeing Insider(s) does not have any grievances or axe to grind; already been shown to had services terminated or other reasons.
Not sure when I last watched 60 Minutes; must have been at least 25 years ago and have not seen any reason the credibility of the show has ever been restored; sure some here will watch and report fully.

Will they report the problems, difficulties the L1011, The B707, B727, B747, DC9, A320, DH Comet and others encountered in their early life only to be resolved with all these aircraft providing long life with distinguished service?

Global Aviator
5th May 2019, 06:28
“Will they report the problems, difficulties the L1011, The B707, B727, B747, DC9, A320, DH Comet and others encountered in their early life only to be resolved with all these aircraft providing long life with distinguished service?”

Difference is the 737 has been around for decades... It’s the additions and evolution that are the problem, it’s not anew type.

PoppaJo
5th May 2019, 06:52
Story would be better suited to 4 Corners who usually confront stories in a way that often gets them into trouble and a lot of people offside. Essentially just cutting to the chase and exposing lies.

Bend alot
5th May 2019, 06:58
The B747 had engine "issues" the pilots knew about this "issue"

They even demonstrated the "issue" to the engine manufacturer management during flight - twice I believe.

MCAS was hidden, then covered up with a gloss over after fatal 1 - it is still fine after Fatal 2, but needs a minor tweak - but know pilot will know the stick feel change when it is required but can not activate until "they enter that zone"

But if 0.6 was the design figure but 2.5 was required - expect a surprise on the edge of the envelope when things are most probably not going well by this stage anyway due other factors, that put you at the edge of envelope.

It will be nothing like waiting for a engine to explode - that you are half expecting.

redned
5th May 2019, 07:12
I hope she does a better job than her disastrous reporting on the Lockyer Valley floods where she accused the Wagners from Toowoomba of causing the deaths of 12 people.

exfocx
5th May 2019, 07:37
Liz Hayes is a dumbarse who doesn't have a clue what she's talking about.

Edit: 60sec is the equivalent of the Melbourne Truth newspaper from the 70s.

ACMS
5th May 2019, 07:49
Sensationalist crap.........

haven't watched it for years.......

Berealgetreal
5th May 2019, 09:24
Final crash reports out for both are they?

Mr Google Head
5th May 2019, 09:32
Final crash reports out for both are they?

wont be needed now that 60 minutes have it covered 😂

cbradio
5th May 2019, 11:07
Seems about right so far ....

PoppaJo
5th May 2019, 11:26
I cannot understand this American Union Captain. You get lost in the sensationalist quoting. Sounds like a politician.

GordonR_Cape
5th May 2019, 11:44
I don't even live in Oz, yet this link showed up on my news-feed. Must be paid for advertising tied to the keyword B737. I read the first few sentences thinking it might be an actual news story, then realised it was old news was rubbish. Good to see I am not alone in thinking so...

Edit: After getting to watch the full program, I would tone down my opinion somewhat.

industry insider
5th May 2019, 13:59
wont be needed now that 60 minutes have it covered ��

Open and shut case then as GT also issued the final reports in March on Channel 7 and in the West Australian, that bastion of truth.

https://thewest.com.au/opinion/almost-inconceivable-that-same-problem-could-strike-737-twice-ng-b881131613z (https://www.pprune.org/start=https://thewest.com.au/opinion/almost-inconceivable-that-same-problem-could-strike-737-twice-ng-b881131613z)

Of course, everyone is wrong, there is no connection whatsoever between the Lion and Ethiopian crashes. There are highly reliable eye witness accounts of the ET crash from Ethiopian farmers working nearby. Good to know they have helped GT establish the final cause.https://www.airlineratings.com/news/ethiopian-737-trailing-smoke-impact/

Oakape
5th May 2019, 21:30
Everyone may be right about the coverage, but the fact is that all the non-aviation people out there will have watched it, lapped it all up & treated the information presented as fact. And that will do damage to the industry.

packapoo
5th May 2019, 22:14
Hadn't realised that anyone took that program seriously these days.

machtuk
5th May 2019, 23:28
Interesting report. We gotta remember the show is aimed at the general public more than us minority group pilots.
Boeing sure dropped the ball on this one. Be interesting to see the long term outcome?
Airbus, way of the future:O

Dee Vee
6th May 2019, 00:01
Everyone may be right about the coverage, but the fact is that all the non-aviation people out there will have watched it, lapped it all up & treated the information presented as fact. And that will do damage to the industry.

I thought the story was pretty good, sure they didn't go into every little detail, but as a "Executive Summary" it was pretty spot on.

Boeing need a serious wake up call, their denial responses and stonewalling to date are appalling.

SandyPalms
6th May 2019, 00:11
It was very repetitive, but not as sensationalised as I had expected. The most over the top language came from “one of our own”.

aviator777
6th May 2019, 04:27
Mostly seemed a good summary except that there was no mention of the Stab Trim Cut-off switches. As far the public are aware from this story, the aircraft becomes totally out of control. Not quite true, with the ability to kill the electric stab trim!

Furthermore it didn't mention that in the Ethiopian event, if I understood correctly, the crew re-connected the stab trim in the final moments, upon which the MCAS started trimming nose down again. This differentiates the Ethiopian accident from Lion Air.

Disappointing that the manufacturer stepped outside the norm of the 737 philosophy and added some software that essentially took the aircraft out of "direct law", with what seems to be a patch to fix an undesired characteristic.

Just some observations.

gordonfvckingramsay
6th May 2019, 05:56
It makes me wonder if this airframe, if it were a new stand alone flying machine, would have been certified in the first place. It seems to me that it lacks the ability to fly without significant input from MCAS, I can’t think of any other commercial jet that has such adverse handling characteristics.

Dora-9
6th May 2019, 06:11
Airbus, way of the futurehttps://www.pprune.org/images/smilies/embarass.gif

Hang on machtuck, before you go onto the Boeing bad/Airbus good routine, I'd suggest you talk to anyone who is cross endorsed from the A330 to the A350 and find out just how little they are told about some of the latter's totally different systems/features.

Aviator777 - thank you. Before we indulge in a total orgy of Boeing bashing I'd suggest that the crew performance, or lack thereof, in both situations deserves close scrutiny too.

Capn Rex Havoc
6th May 2019, 07:20
Aviator - It was not an episode of Aircrash Investigation, so going into details about stab trim cut offs etc would have be way too much for the general public.

I thought it was an ok summary for the general public. It dealt with the issues of rushed certification, single system critical failure points and Boeing self certifying off behalf of the FAA.

aviator777
6th May 2019, 07:52
It was not an episode of Aircrash Investigation, so going into details about stab trim cut offs etc would have be way too much for the general public

A brief mention during the simulator scenes that the nose down inputs can be overridden would have been simple and to the point. Flick 2 switches, and turn this handle many times (with a demo).

As it stands the story implied that the aircraft was totally out of control.

Otherwise, agreed the story was a good summary.

ACMS
6th May 2019, 09:19
I didn’t watch 60 minutes and wont bother in the future.....

But from what you’ve said here, they didn’t mention the stab trim cutout switches at all?? Not ever??? You are kidding me!!!

They are central in the NNC for handling this problem and weren’t mentioned at all or demonstrated in the interests of balanced in biased reporting?
Boeing addressed this issue and reminded Max crews about it AFTER the Lion crash. Did 60 minutes mention Boeing’s response after the Lion air crash?

Now tell me 60 seconds aren’t biased and trying to win a Logie award!!

I’d place a bet that it was mentioned and demonstrated by the Pilot BUT 60 minutes edited it out to make their case against Boeing look better..........

pleased I didn’t bother to watch such crap.

Berealgetreal
6th May 2019, 12:36
How about the bit when the 737 Airline Pilot wearing full uniform in the sim fumbles through the checklist to show how long it takes to find the runaway stabiliser checklist. Not a single mention of it being a MEMORY item.

There’s no doubt the MCAS system and it’s implementation was less than ideal but ignoring all the facts that led to the Lion crash and pretending that Runaway Stabiliser isn’t a memory item is worthy of a letter from the Boeing legal team.

Smythe
6th May 2019, 13:53
Put a 40 year old FMS on a new ac, what could go wrong.

thorn bird
13th May 2019, 22:37
Found this article interesting.

Any comments from 737 guys and girls?

Ethiopian MAX Crash Simulator Scenario Stuns Pilots

May 10, 2019

Sean Broderick (https://aviationweek.com/author/sbroderick) Aviation Daily

WASHINGTON—A simulator session flown by a U.S.-based Boeing 737 (http://awin.aviationweek.com/ProgramProfileDetails.aspx?pgId=634&pgName=Boeing+737NG)MAX crew that mimicked a key portion of the Ethiopian Airlines (http://awin.aviationweek.com/OrganizationProfiles.aspx?orgId=21507)Flight 302 (ET302) accident sequence suggests that the Ethiopian crew faced a near-impossible task of getting their 737 MAX 8 back under control, and underscores the importance of pilots understanding severe runaway trim recovery procedures.

Details of the session, shared with Aviation Week, were flown voluntarily as part of routine, recurrent training. Its purpose: practice recovering from a scenario in which the aircraft was out of trim and wanting to descend while flying at a high rate of speed. This is what the ET302 crew faced when it toggled cutout switches to de-power the MAX’s automatic stabilizer trim motor, disabling the maneuvering characteristics augmentation system (MCAS) that was erroneously trimming the horizontal stabilizer nose-down.

In such a scenario, once the trim motor is de-powered, the pilots must use the hand-operated manual trim wheels to adjust the stabilizers. But they also must keep the aircraft from descending by pulling back on the control columns to deflect the elevator portions of the stabilizer upward. Aerodynamic forces from the nose-up elevator deflection make the entire stabilizer more difficult to move, and higher airspeed exacerbates the issue.

The U.S. crew tested this by setting up a 737-Next Generation simulator at 10,000 ft., 250 kt. and 2 deg. nose up stabilizer trim. This is slightly higher altitude but otherwise similar to what the ET302 crew faced as it de-powered the trim motors 3 min. into the 6 min. flight, and about 1 min. after the first uncommanded MCAS input. Leading up to the scenario, the Ethiopian crew used column-mounted manual electric trim to counter some of the MCAS inputs, but did not get the aircraft back to level trim, as the 737 manual instructs before de-powering the stabilizer trim motor. The crew also did not reduce their unusually high speed.

What the U.S. crew found was eye-opening. Keeping the aircraft level required significant aft-column pressure by the captain, and aerodynamic forces prevented the first officer from moving the trim wheel a full turn. They resorted to a little-known procedure to regain control.

The crew repeatedly executed a three-step process known as the roller coaster. First, let the aircraft’s nose drop, removing elevator nose-down force. Second, crank the trim wheel, inputting nose-up stabilizer, as the aircraft descends. Third, pull back on the yokes to raise the nose and slow the descent. The excessive descent rates during the first two steps meant the crew got as low as 2,000 ft. during the recovery.

The Ethiopian Ministry of Transport preliminary report on the Mar. 10 ET302 accident suggests the crew attempted to use manual trim after de-powering the stabilizer motors, but determined it “was not working,” the report said. A constant trust setting at 94% N1meant ET302’s airspeed increased to the 737 MAX’s maximum (Vmo), 340 kt., soon after the stabilizer trim motors were cut off, and did not drop below that level for the remainder of the flight. The pilots, struggling to keep the aircraft from descending, also maintained steady to strong aft control-column inputs from the time MCAS first fired through the end of the flight.

The U.S. crew’s session and a video posted recently by YouTube’s Mentour Pilot that shows a similar scenario inside a simulator suggest that the resulting forces on ET302’s stabilizer would have made it nearly impossible to move by hand.

Neither the current 737 flight manual nor any MCAS-related guidance issued by Boeing (http://awin.aviationweek.com/OrganizationProfiles.aspx?orgId=12083)in the wake of the October 2018 crash of Lion Air Flight 610 (JT610), when MCAS first came to light for most pilots, discuss the roller-coaster procedure for recovering from severe out-of-trim conditions. The 737 manual explains that “effort required to manually rotate the stabilizer trim wheels may be higher under certain flight conditions,” but does not provide details.

The pilot who shared the scenario said he learned the roller coaster procedure from excerpts of a 737-200 manual posted in an online pilot forum in the wake of the MAX accidents. It is not taught at his airline.

Boeing’s assumption was that erroneous stabilizer nose-down inputs by MCAS, such as those experienced by both the JT610 and ET302 crews, would be diagnosed as runaway stabilizer. The checklist to counter runaway stabilizer includes using the cutout switches to de-power the stabilizer trim motor. The ET302 crew followed this, but not until the aircraft was severely out of trim following the MCAS inputs triggered by faulty angle-of-attack (AOA) data that told the system the aircraft’s nose was too high.

Unable to move the stabilizer manually, the ET302 crew moved the cutout switches to power the stabilizer trim motors—something the runaway stabilizer checklist states should not be done. While this enabled their column-mounted electric trim input switches, it also re-activated MCAS, which again received the faulty AOA data and trimmed the stabilizer nose down, leading to a fatal dive.

The simulator session underscored the importance of reacting quickly to uncommanded stabilizer movements and avoiding a severe out-of-trim condition, one of the pilots involved said. “I don’t think the situation would be survivable at 350 kt. and below 5,000 ft,” this pilot noted.

The ET302 crew climbed through 5,000 ft. shortly after de-powering the trim motors, and got to about 8,000 ft.—the same amount of altitude the U.S. crew used up during the roller-coaster maneuvers—before the final dive. A second pilot not involved in the session but who reviewed the scenario’s details said it highlighted several training opportunities.

“This is the sort of simulator experience airline crews need to gain an understanding of how runaway trim can make the aircraft very difficult to control, and how important it is to rehearse use of manual trim inputs,” this pilot said.

While Boeing’s runaway stabilizer checklist does not specify it, the second pilot recommended a maximum thrust of 75% N1and a 4 deg. nose-up pitch to keep airspeed under control.

Boeing is developing modifications to MCAS, as well as additional training. Simulator sessions are expected to be integrated into recurrent training, and may be required by some regulators, and opted for by some airlines, before pilots are cleared to fly MAXs again. The MAX fleet has been grounded since mid-March, a direct result of the two accidents.

airdualbleedfault
14th May 2019, 04:08
How about the bit when the 737 Airline Pilot wearing full uniform in the sim fumbles through the checklist to show how long it takes to find the runaway stabiliser checklist. Not a single mention of it being a MEMORY item.

Thanks Bereal, my thoughts exactly and something that for whatever reason, seems to be glossed over repeatedly

Sunfish
15th May 2019, 01:13
MCAS caught out two crews six months apart.......and some here are pouring scorn on media attempts to explain a diabolical failure mode to an unsophisticated audience?

Matt48
15th May 2019, 01:42
MCAS caught out two crews six months apart.......and some here are pouring scorn on media attempts to explain a diabolical failure mode to an unsophisticated audience?

Not a pilot, well here goes, I would have no problem flying in the Max8 when it returns to service, you see I don't fly with 3rd world airlines so I reckon I'm safe. I wouldn't mind a 10 second chat with the pilot beforehand, though.

Bend alot
15th May 2019, 02:03
Not a pilot, well here goes, I would have no problem flying in the Max8 when it returns to service, you see I don't fly with 3rd world airlines so I reckon I'm safe. I wouldn't mind a 10 second chat with the pilot beforehand, though.
Netherlands + United States = 583, still to be exceeded by a Third World airline/s.

Berealgetreal
15th May 2019, 02:09
Nobody here is saying MCAS was a great ideal that was well implemented.

Some are saying it’s hard to judge until the reports are out. Others are also adding that the trash that 60 minutes rolled out deliberately left out the fact that Runaway Stabiliser is a memory item.

If you don’t know the memory item you should at least know what the page number is!

Where I work if you don’t know a memory item you fail the sim session or line check. Some clown fumbling a checklist isn’t an accurate representation of what I would see in my workplace and suspect the same for the opposition.

Some on the forum will in the near future be flying a max so have more than a passing interest in the matter. To us it’s pretty real.

Bend alot
15th May 2019, 02:54
suspect the same for the opposition.

Strange word to use!

We do not know if 60 Minutes is aware of memory items, that my have been deliberately omitted by the "actors".

Bend alot
16th May 2019, 04:41
Pilot - Sam Graves may do the next 60 Minutes show.

57:50 mark - AoA's explained.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?460584-1/faa-ntsb-officials-testify-boeing-737-max-aircraft-safety

HarryMann
1st Jun 2019, 23:00
For so many to keep complaining that this situation was straightforward and instantly recognisable trim runaway, thus just a matter of applying standard memory item...
is a bit disingenuous when post after post and pilot after pilot here have acknowledged it doesn't necessarily manifest as such. And certainly not at altitudes and flight regimes one might have the time to see it for what it was... or in fact, for what it wasn't !

Petropavlovsk
2nd Jun 2019, 04:15
Cash for Comments on "60 minutes" therefore hardly reputable.
Wait for the final reports.
A far more interesting story might be researched on the fatal Air Niugini B737 ending up in the Lagoon, with accurate analysis in regards to crew training and checking. A follow up on the Air Niugini B737 doing Singapore to POM week before last and apparently doing an auto land after six attempts to land. instead of going to Cairns. Final reports still required.
According to Cairns Post newspaper Air Niugini are seeking to replace Cathay on the Hong Kong to Cairns route, when Cathay withdraw in October.

QuarterInchSocket
2nd Jun 2019, 07:53
For so many to keep complaining that this situation was straightforward and instantly recognisable trim runaway, thus just a matter of applying standard memory item...
is a bit disingenuous when post after post and pilot after pilot here have acknowledged it doesn't necessarily manifest as such. And certainly not at altitudes and flight regimes one might have the time to see it for what it was... or in fact, for what it wasn't !

relative to the first prang, your point is valid. However, for all subsequent ops exhibiting practically identical symptoms - I believe it SHOULD be straightforward, and caught early having already happened.
Due diligence I believe would see professional pilots study as much as can be studied both about the accident and on the manufacturers reaction by way of the fcom bulletin. I am left wondering if the ill fated Nigerian Air pilots briefed the possibility of the runaway stab situation during the taxi takeoff briefing. Stick shaker at unstick (liftoff) would be a good indicator that a possible ‘runaway’ stab exists.

just my opinion, I don’t consider myself neither right or wrong

Bend alot
2nd Jun 2019, 13:46
relative to the first prang, your point is valid. However, for all subsequent ops exhibiting practically identical symptoms - I believe it SHOULD be straightforward, and caught early having already happened.
Due diligence I believe would see professional pilots study as much as can be studied both about the accident and on the manufacturers reaction by way of the fcom bulletin. I am left wondering if the ill fated Nigerian Air pilots briefed the possibility of the runaway stab situation during the taxi takeoff briefing. Stick shaker at unstick (liftoff) would be a good indicator that a possible ‘runaway’ stab exists.

just my opinion, I don’t consider myself neither right or wrong
Have Nigerian pilots recently had run away trim issues?

But I guess Nigeria is a state in Africa, and Ethiopia just a city of said state.

QuarterInchSocket
2nd Jun 2019, 14:46
yep, i deserve that. apologies!

MakeItHappenCaptain
2nd Jun 2019, 22:12
But wait! According to the QF72 report on Channel 7 last night, this Airbus incident should have been a warning about the Max8! (Seems 60 minutes also were also deficient, lacking the discovery of the new “Death Dive” technical term...)

Shipwreck00
15th Jun 2019, 05:09
How does a regulator like that loose sight, take their eye off the ball. Pretty obvious that if you let airlines make those type of decisions it will be all about money. Think local ring any bells