PDA

View Full Version : What Radar does the Tornado GR.1 use ?

spade2070
1st May 2019, 05:59
I am currently researching for a book, and I couldn't come across any information about the Radar on the Tornado GR.1, if anyone could help me out, that would be great.
Thanks

wub
1st May 2019, 07:28
Texas Instruments GM/TF. Photos here:

https://www.jetartaviation.co.uk/2014/02/tonka-norfolk-land-shark-the-mighty-fin/

spade2070
1st May 2019, 09:10
Would you have a link to more information by any chance ?

wub
1st May 2019, 10:35
Sorry, I don’t

Timelord
1st May 2019, 11:07
Two radars: Ground Mapping Radar gives a picture in the rear cockpit used for weapons aiming and navigational fixing. Terrain Following Radar gives a picture in the front cockpit and sends signals to the autopilot for automatic terrain following,

Martin the Martian
1st May 2019, 12:24
Wasn't the Texas Instruments item imaginatively called the Tornado Nose Radar (TNR)?

golfbananajam
1st May 2019, 13:32
wasn't the original blue circle product?

hat coat etc

wub
1st May 2019, 13:48
wasn't the original blue circle product?

hat coat etc

That was Blue Fox for the F2/3

camelspyyder
1st May 2019, 13:58
That was Blue Fox for the F2/3

Blue Fox was the SHAR FRS1 radar.

Foxhunter was the F3 radar (but Blue Circle was on the F2 initially)

wub
1st May 2019, 14:36
Blue Fox was the SHAR FRS1 radar.

Foxhunter was the F3 radar (but Blue Circle was on the F2 initially)

DOH! Senior moment, 😐

spade2070
2nd May 2019, 01:51
Great that helps, and any idea what the names of these radars were ? Was it really called the Tornado Nose Radar by Texas Instruments ?

Timelord
2nd May 2019, 10:50
No. Known in RAF service as Ground Mapping Radar (GMR) and Terrain Following Radar (TFR) . They no doubt had ARI numbers but they were never used.

EAP86
3rd May 2019, 10:42
Wasn't the Tornado TFR the similar to that fitted to the F111 (AN/APQ-110)? Researching that might lead to more information.

EAP

ShyTorque
3rd May 2019, 10:49
Isn't this all in the wrong tense?

diginagain
3rd May 2019, 11:49
Isn't this all in the wrong tense?
The same question has been asked over on Arrse. It seems the OP - based on the Indian subcontinent - is writing a book on 'modern' military aircraft.

Fat Fairy
6th May 2019, 15:43
I thought I'd save myself until I could be useful.

The Tornado Nose RADAR was a two part system with some shared components. The Ground Mapping RADAR, ARI 23274, and the Terrain Following RADAR, ARI 23273

As a GR1 Techie, we used the ARI numbers on job cards, and pretty much nowhere else. All other communication was in GMR/TFR terms.

FF

tucumseh
7th May 2019, 03:05
The main utility of ARI numbers is they indicate Intellectual Property Rights. This is of little use In-Service, but quite important elsewhere if the correct support is needed. As Shy Torque said, past tense, as all that stopped long ago. There are countless cases of MoD spending years competing upgrades, wondering why only one company would bid; not realising that citing the ARI number was sufficient reason for single tender.

The Blue Circle reference was always a bit unfair. MoD had put its eggs in one basket when deciding to replace many front line radars in one go, only for the Falklands to kick off before development had finished. SHAR FRS1 went south with 6 of the 8 B Models fitted. Production was initiated with a year still to go on development. Sea King was the same. Lynx slightly less so, but the LRUs weren't truly interchangeable.

Old Ferranti hands will tell a different story on Foxhunter. Their contribution sat on a shelf for years waiting for the GEC bits.

If the poster is from India, the Indian version of Blue Fox was the Mk1. They were not allowed Mk2.

Davef68
7th May 2019, 09:24
The Blue Circle reference was always a bit unfair....

Old Ferranti hands will tell a different story on Foxhunter. Their contribution sat on a shelf for years waiting for the GEC bits.

Wasn't it inaccurate as well, in that the ballast fitted to the first F2s in lieu of radar was lead rather than concrete?

made people smile though