PDA

View Full Version : Captains over 59 years of age

Beethoven
30th Apr 2019, 15:53
Could I ask how European airlines deal with pilots,more specifically captains who reach the age of 60? Done some air law study and saw that one may not act as PIC on an airline flight over the age of 59. I'm aware they can continue till 65 with another pilot under 60 but was wondering if they lose their Captain status and salary. In other words would they revert to being First Officers again? I'm sure that this can't be the case but as an aged ATPL student I'm looking at making plans and want to be armed with all the information.

kund regards,

Beet.

Mustapha Cuppa
30th Apr 2019, 19:46
Done some air law study and saw that one may not act as PIC on an airline flight over the age of 59

When did this come in? Can you quote the reference?

Cole Burner
30th Apr 2019, 20:16
Your information is out of date. Captains can continue as such until they reach the age of 65. They also no longer need to fly with a younger other pilot

Beethoven
1st May 2019, 06:38
Thanks for your replies. It appears you are correct and my info is out of date. Sourced from various (obviously unreliable) places! Maybe my googling skills need refreshing.

kind regards,

Beet

flyboyike
2nd May 2019, 00:08
Could I ask how European airlines deal with pilots,more specifically captains who reach the age of 60? Done some air law study and saw that one may not act as PIC on an airline flight over the age of 59. I'm aware they can continue till 65 with another pilot under 60 but was wondering if they lose their Captain status and salary. In other words would they revert to being First Officers again? I'm sure that this can't be the case but as an aged ATPL student I'm looking at making plans and want to be armed with all the information.

kund regards,

Beet.

Are you 58 and 1/2?

Beethoven
2nd May 2019, 12:05
No but I aspire to be.