PDA

View Full Version : spinning a viggen

nzhills
30th Apr 2019, 09:36
Hi, I'm a little unsure if this is the correct forum, but does anyone know if the Saab Viggen was cleared for spinning, and if it was did it enter n exit easily? Regards Mark

Treble one
30th Apr 2019, 11:35
Does this help?

https://www.flightglobal.com/FlightPDFArchive/1974/1974%20-%201681.PDF

typerated
30th Apr 2019, 20:13
Instead of Jags or Harriers anyone?

Dare I say Lightnings also!

http://i.imgur.com/ZPKr2kD.jpg

Lone Kestrel
1st May 2019, 10:48
Talking to a Viggen test pilot, the aircraft was not cleared for spinning by the SwAF as it was unpredictable and recovery was not guaranteed - at least one test pilot ended up in the water. However, he also stated that it was difficult to get the aircraft to enter a spin.

nzhills
30th May 2019, 09:02
Hi Lone Kestrel, thanks for this information, as I suspected, "was difficult to get the aircraft to enter a spin" being a canard. Although I did not think that spinning would have been tested.

beardy
30th May 2019, 09:08
Hi Lone Kestrel, thanks for this information, as I suspected, "was difficult to get the aircraft to enter a spin" being a canard. Although I did not think that spinning would have been tested.

What a wonderful use of 'canard'! both as a grammatical and aerodynamic term. You made my day, thank you.

BEagle
30th May 2019, 09:23
It was apparently 'canard to get the AJ 37 to spin...

I recall the first time I ever saw the Viggen - Paris Air Show 1969. What an amazing jet!

Treble one
30th May 2019, 09:28
Its sad we don't se more of the SwAFHF over this way with their Viggen/Draken/Tunnan/Lansen/Hunter, as they are a real highlight in the absence of many other jets from their era. There is apparently an issue with Pilot DA's in the UK I'm told. I was fortunate to see most or all of them expertly shown off at shows prior to this. Truly wonderful stuff.

oldmansquipper
30th May 2019, 15:49
Its sad we don't se more of the SwAFHF over this way with their Viggen/Draken/Tunnan/Lansen/Hunter, as they are a real highlight in the absence of many other jets from their era. There is apparently an issue with Pilot DA's in the UK I'm told. I was fortunate to see most or all of them expertly shown off at shows prior to this. Truly wonderful stuff.

OMS did a deal of work on the Gripen (not mentioned above) cockpit and was much impressed with the overall build quality of the jet and I was able to compare with other jets of similar ilk. Pilots (of several nations) were generally very praiseworthy of its flight characteristics etc. I note that the there were (are?) some at Boscombe. I'm sure there are people on here that have a view..

Stitchbitch
30th May 2019, 16:01
OMS did a deal of work on the Gripen (not mentioned above) cockpit and was much impressed with the overall build quality of the jet and I was able to compare with other jets of similar ilk. Pilots (of several nations) were generally very praiseworthy of its flight characteristics etc. I note that the there were (are?) some at Boscombe. I'm sure there are people on here that have a view..

Boscombe go to Sweden to fly Grippen, unfortunately this YMS was unable to go with them ;).

treadigraph
31st May 2019, 07:22
A couple of years running recently they belted NE over London on their way home from Jersey. Don't remember the Hunter but there was also a 105.

oldmansquipper
31st May 2019, 16:56
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/saab-ready-to-offer-canadian-built-gripen-fighters-t-458574/

MPN11
31st May 2019, 19:14
SwAF historic ac are regulars at the Jersey Air Display.

LowObservable
1st Jun 2019, 14:40
The Viggen inspired me to a little cartooning once.

Two ducks watch the Viggen flight display.

Duck 1: "I wish I could fly that fast"

Duck 2: "I bet you would if YOUR arsehole was on fire"