PDA

View Full Version : Too many adverts = slow site loading

BEagle
24th Apr 2019, 21:25
Of recent days there seems to have been an increasing number of bandwidth-hungry adverts on PPRuNe which is causing slow page loading (Win10 + IE11) and 'slow running script' errors. My Internet speed is 110 Mbps, so it's not a slow connection issue.

Excessive advertising will kill the goose which laid the golden eggs of PPRuNe.

Any chance you can curb the excesses of your advertisers?

IBobi
24th Apr 2019, 21:36
Please try dumping your site cookies!

BEagle
24th Apr 2019, 21:56
What does that mean, how is it done - and why should it be necessary?

IBobi
24th Apr 2019, 21:59
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=clear+cookies+ie11

:)

BEagle
24th Apr 2019, 22:39
That didn't make any noticeable difference - apart from forcing me to 'accept cookies' and to log back in again.....

There's a noticeable delay waiting for the right hand side adverts to load before I can scroll down. Once upon a time PPRuNe didn't allow moving graphic adverts, if I recall correctly? But now that the website has become so infested with advertising, site performance using IE11 is suffering.

PEI_3721
25th Apr 2019, 12:25
Similar on iPad.
Even with Ad Block on preventing the display of adverts, but apparently does not stop ads loading slowly in background.
Having selected a forum from the menu and viewed, and then returning the menu, the menu position does not go to the last view - instead it reverts to the top of the menu page whilst waiting for the ads to reload.

Pprune is slowing down; posts load before the mast-head with a surreal overlay with see through effects.
And we still have the ‘jumping’ scroll, seeking the advert listing opposed to the last published post as soon as the screen is touched.

Cooking the Goose - slowly.

Andrewgr2
26th Apr 2019, 06:58
Even worse are the full page ads purporting to be satisfaction surveys from your ISP which have no means of closing them other than closing the PPRune tab and opening a new one. This problem on an iPad. Surely this sort of intrusion shouldn’t be permitted?

yellowtriumph
26th Apr 2019, 11:14
Even worse are the full page ads purporting to be satisfaction surveys from your ISP which have no means of closing them other than closing the PPRune tab and opening a new one. This problem on an iPad. Surely this sort of intrusion shouldn’t be permitted?

I view Pprune on an iPad and never get any sort of surveys popping up. I get ads down the RHS but never anything visually intrusive or anything preventing me from viewing the forum and threads etc.

Alchad
26th Apr 2019, 11:44
I view Pprune on an iPad and never get any sort of surveys popping up. I get ads down the RHS but never anything visually intrusive or anything preventing me from viewing the forum and threads etc.

Exactly the same for me, no surveys and adds down RHS only, and loading speed is no issue and I'm on 15mbps download speed which is much less than the original poster. I'd suggest that it's a settings issue, For IPad, have a look at this link and see if it helps

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT203987

For Windows, try a Google search "how to get rid of pop ups, Win 10, IE11" you'll find various suggestions. ALTERNATIVELY, change to Win 10's Edge browser which I think has replaced IE11 as Microsoft's recommended browser, or try Firefox.

Regards

Alchad

ShyTorque
26th Apr 2019, 11:47
I've had to stop trying to use PPRuNe on my iPad mini because the adverts continually cause it to crash. So if I'm away from home, I'm effectively off the air.

IBobi
26th Apr 2019, 17:26

It is not permitted. And it likely isn't coming from PPRuNe. Try clearing your browser cache, clearing your PPR cookies, and running your malware scanner.

And if you see it again, do screen shot it and PM me.

simmple
26th Apr 2019, 19:47

same for me
Occasionally happens that many times I give up reading the site

BirdmanBerry
26th Apr 2019, 19:52
Switch to Chrome and add the browser helper Ghostery and Privacy badger. You'll have control over everything and it's made my experience so much better on lots of sites.