PDA

View Full Version : Engineer Flying Experience?

AirfixPilot
4th Aug 2002, 11:38
Something earlier today reminded me of that Engineering (Officer?) who was sat on a wooden crate in one of the 'Illuminated Tubes' when he jumped the chocks on an engine test and did an impromptu circuit. Made it back because of a good talk-down from a member of the two-winged master race, coupled with some flying skills he gained whilst on a UAS.

Currently, UASs put loads of non-commited guys through the system who don't make it through OASC because they fail on apptitude tests or other areas. Not that I'm trying to re-light the UAS yes/no question, but Engineers and other ground branch students, sponsored or otherwise, aren't even given the opportunity to take advantage of the training system that is already in place at these units.

Besides the fact that there is no training provision made for sponsored ground branch students at present, (of any description, regardles of what the hierarchy might say), surely it is slightly short-sighted to just accept that because they are not under the pilot/nav canvas, they either do not have what it takes or that it is just not necessary.

How many of you aviators have had a point of contension with your unit EngO that could've been avoided if he had a better understanding of what the guys in the air really have to contend with?

Reminds me of complaints regarding bad procurement descisions, with kit having switches in stupid places etc etc. Surely some experience is better than none at all?

(Fire away!)

teeteringhead
4th Aug 2002, 12:02
Excellent idea, but not a new one. Many years ago, only slightly before my time, Eng Os with the aptitude got flying courses and one tour! By my time in training, they got their wings before becoming engineers (which explains some senior engineers with wings). I suppose these days if they had the aptitude, they wouldn't be allowed NOT to be full-time pilots.

But the UAS idea is good, probably for other branches too; I think I heard that civvy ATCOs get a chance of a PPL as part of their training - same good logic. Why don't we?

Talking Radalt
4th Aug 2002, 13:06
Every time a Death Banana gets airborne on a training trip it has about 30 seats going spare.
I am always asking the engineers, drivers, medics, squippers, PTIs, dentists, (oh yes, definitely the dentists) firemen and even adminners if they want to come flying.

All they have to do is say yes.

:(

canberra
4th Aug 2002, 14:00
fantastic idea! what about the back seats that go spare at valley? on the subject of air traffickers getting back seat trips the satco at gutersloh when i was there was always getting trips. he even managed to get one in a draken on a sqn exchange. but none of the other controllers ever did. mind you they didnt like the satco so were probably glad to get him out of the tower!

the funky munky
4th Aug 2002, 21:32
Interesting point. During my apprenticeship our entire apprentice year went up in a Chinook, 30+ lads and lasses, on reflection our instructors realised that it could have made for a very messy headline if the A/C had crashed. The practise was largely discontinued thereafter. Good policy to fly em if you fix em though, couldn't agree more.

teeteringhead
5th Aug 2002, 06:37
Everybody should get the chance to fly during RAF training - it might just remind them of what the RAF is about! (These days I should probably call it "core business").

Some years ago I was talking to a Navy mate who was on exchange at Cranwell - he was amazed that flying was not an ESSENTIAL part of IOT. "Nobody would EVER be commissioned in the RN without having been to sea - even if it was only a day trip".

A lesson to be learned.......?

A and C
5th Aug 2002, 18:54
A long time ago I was a ground engineer for a major airline and the fact that I had a PPL and IMC rating helped no end when you had to offer an aircraft for service with a defered defect It ment that if for instance the WX radar was U/S I would take a quick look at the TAF,s and if the forcast was for CB,s then swap the aircraft on to another service.

Now as an ATPL holder i find myself as the engineers preferd pilot when it comes to C of A airtests.

I think that the more that you can get the engineers into the air then the better service you will get from them , and if you can get them into one of the (very cheap) service flying clubs lso much the better.