PDA

View Full Version : Two Cathay Pacific captains lose eyesight during flights

Typhoon Surfer
24th Apr 2019, 03:51
Two Cathay Pacific captains lose eyesight during flights, sparking investigations by Hong Kong’s Air Accident Investigation Authority

Front page news in the SCMP today.
Any connection between the two incidents? No aircraft type mentioned. Possible Toxic Air syndrome again?

(Sorry, not allowed post the link)

Steve the Pirate
24th Apr 2019, 04:51
The article I read stated the aircraft types, so probably unrelated causes. Concerning nonetheless.

STP

HEALY
24th Apr 2019, 05:14
Happened on two of our longest 2 crew duties on the network . Fatigue , dehydration, tiredness. All result in loss of vision

ozziekiwi
24th Apr 2019, 10:06
Two Cathay Pacific captains lose eyesight during flights, sparking investigations by Hong Kong’s Air Accident Investigation Authority

Front page news in the SCMP today.
Any connection between the two incidents? No aircraft type mentioned. Possible Toxic Air syndrome again?

(Sorry, not allowed post the link)

https://www.tellerreport.com/news/--%22two-cathay-pacific-pilots--experiencing-blindness-during-flight-----under-investigation%22-.HkbwvxdT5N.html

Bit more info here not sure about the 'driving' though ?

Ozziekiwi

unitedabx
24th Apr 2019, 13:19
https://www.tellerreport.com/news/--%22two-cathay-pacific-pilots--experiencing-blindness-during-flight-----under-investigation%22-.HkbwvxdT5N.html

Bit more info here not sure about the 'driving' though ?

Ozziekiwi

That article is SO poorly written it cannot be taken as any form of authoritative reporting.

Jackschitt
24th Apr 2019, 15:43
They couldn't see themselves working anymore!

unitedabx
24th Apr 2019, 21:35
They couldn't see themselves working anymore!

Both ate the chicken ???
Also heard from my usual source that the head of CX PR Dept has been "moved on" after the cabin crew sackings and pilot blinding press reports. The CEO's performance on BBC Radio was very poor trying to explain the recent sackings. Very unconvincing.

main_dog
24th Apr 2019, 23:40
Can’t see what the problem is.

Amber Vibes
25th Apr 2019, 05:17
Sounds like they may have been so fatigued or dehydrated that they didn't have enough oxygen to produce Rhodopsin. Human beings need more O2 at night to produce Rhodopsin for night vision...

A350HK
25th Apr 2019, 06:54
Can’t see what the problem is.
We couldn't see that coming!

ACMS
25th Apr 2019, 07:33
Some of you guys are very one Eyed......:}

petrichor
25th Apr 2019, 08:00
Eye hope they’re ok.

Steve the Pirate
25th Apr 2019, 08:42
Let's not lose sight of the big picture, which is, of course, that the company is to blame for everything.

STP

VR-HFX
26th Apr 2019, 07:52
HK Air Accident Investigation Authority investigating...the blind leading the blind springs to mind.

boocs
26th Apr 2019, 13:16
The comments here are all so short sighted that you can’t see the wood for the trees!

b.

unitedabx
27th Apr 2019, 00:34
Can we not look at this issue thru tinted glasses but rather from a different angle.

ACMS
27th Apr 2019, 14:12
Yeah fun’s over, how about we spare a thought for our two colleagues.....

ok.

flatfootsam
27th Apr 2019, 16:40
VR-HFX: How would you know? The AAIA was established 7 months ago, the Chief Inspector is an expat with an impressive background in air accident investigation so where’s your where’s your evidence?

VR-HFX
28th Apr 2019, 02:18
FFS- More a tongue-in-cheek dab at the CAD and the DG who was in the role until DS arrived. Hope he can navigate the politics as well as his NZ PM has been doing recently. I wish him luck. Cheers.

White None
28th Apr 2019, 10:46
Yeah fun’s over, how about we spare a thought for our two colleagues.....

ok.

Elderly SchoolMa'am Much! Hilarious Mate. I'm sure all wish them well - If it was me I'd be joining in.

Steve the Pirate
28th Apr 2019, 12:53
If it was me I'd be joining in.

I'm not sure I could see myself going that far. :E

STP

MENELAUS
28th Apr 2019, 16:36
Aye aye. 😎😎😎😎

flatfootsam
29th Apr 2019, 02:25
FFS- More a tongue-in-cheek dab at the CAD and the DG who was in the role until DS arrived. Hope he can navigate the politics as well as his NZ PM has been doing recently. I wish him luck. Cheers.

Well, now you put it that way, it makes a lot more sense.

The CAD prior to sept 2018 opened 1.7 cases per annum, the AAIA are opening one per month, without access to the MOR database...that tells you all you need to know.

Cheers