PDA

View Full Version : Cec Sly RIP

dhavillandpilot
23rd Apr 2019, 04:54
Many of the older pilots here will fondly remember doing their licence tests with Cec Sly..... Examiner of Airmen with the DCA/CASA. A bloody good bloke and a real ‘Aviator’ when that meant someone who had done it all the hard way. R.I.P. Cec.

FLYING OFFICER CECIL SLY DFM

12 Dec 1926 - 16 Apr 2019
Aged 92 years

Sadly we regret to advise the passing of a great colleague and loyal friend Cecil Sly.
Cec went into care recently, however his health deteriorated and he passed away Tuesday last.

An interesting career is highlighted in the following material.

1947: Joined the airforce No. 1 Flying Training School Point Cook.
1950: Graduated from No.2 Course, No. 1 FTS
1950: Joined 76th Squadron in Williamtown.
October 8 1950: Joined 77 Squadron, Initially in Japan.
October 12 1950: 77 Squadron based in Korea (Initially Pohang Base) Flying Mustangs
March 20 1951: Shot down by ground fire and rescued by American 3rd Air Rescue Squadron from behind enemy lines.
April 26: Transferred to Meteors while still in Korea
Nov 1951: Returned to Australia
July 1952: Left for Malta. Joined 78 Wing/76 Squadron. Flew Meteors and Vampires
July 1955: Completed Flight Instructors Course at East Sale.
1956 - 57: Instructed at Uranquinty.
Feb 19 1957: Completed his last flight in the Air Force in a Winjeel.

Medals
Distinguished Flying Medal
Australian Active Service Medal With Korean Clasp 1945 - 1975
British Korean Medal
United Nations Medal Korea
Australian Service Medal with Japan and Middle East Clasp 1945 - 1975
Australian Defence Medal
American Air Medal
Korean Ambassador For Peace Medal

Cecil's post-service was mainly a long duration with DCA as Examiner, then various General Aviation jobs including tourist tours and flying DC3 (with colleague Jack Curtiss)

The funeral for Cecil will be conducted
Wednesday 24April at 12 noon
Wilson Funerals,
Cnr Barrenjoey Road and Darley Street,
Mona Vale NSW

thorn bird
23rd Apr 2019, 05:40
A true honourable gentleman and a great aviator,
RIP Cec.

The current crop at you know where could do well to emulate him.

TinKicker
23rd Apr 2019, 06:03
My logbooks show that I have had many interactions with Cec over the years, from examiner of airmen, through to authorised testing officer and as the 'skipper' on DC-3's. From licence tests, through various rating issues and renewals, as well as training authorisations and many flights on the DC-3 to varied places, Cec was always the consummate professional aviator and gentleman.

RIP Cec, blue skies and tailwinds.

Tinkicker

LeadSled
23rd Apr 2019, 08:13
Folks,
Another one of the good guys gone.
Anybody want to bet that the current mob at CASA will be as fondly and appreciatively remembered as Cec will be, a friend and mentor to so many.
An honourable officer and gentleman, and a b----y good stick and rudder man.
Vale.
Tootle pip!!

B717FO
23rd Apr 2019, 09:08
A great honest gentleman, and a very good aviator. Will be fondly remembered by many, who have been fortunate to fly with him.

zanthrus
23rd Apr 2019, 10:11
RIP Cec.

I second all said on here, Cec was a gentleman and he will be missed by many.

thorn bird
23rd Apr 2019, 10:32
"Anybody want to bet that the current mob at CASA will be as fondly and appreciatively remembered "

Don't know about fondly remembered Leadie, more likely a good turn out to piss on their graves but.

ACMS
24th Apr 2019, 05:00
RIP Cec.

His lives on through his 2 sons in QF....

FL235
24th Apr 2019, 05:10
Another one of the good guys., even if he did send me back for some revision before granting my CPL flight test on Feb 15, 1967.

An easy flight to remember, Cec wanted you to prove your ability, and took advantage of the fact that the only A/C serviceable when we came to do the test was the club Victa - aerobatic!

I swear he gave me the controls in the " unusual attitudes on basic instruments, recovery from" when we were going up, inverted, with the throttle closed.

Too few like him left - RIP

ACMS
29th Apr 2019, 11:10
Passed on this thread to the Boys and they are touched.

thanks to all for their thoughts...