PDA

View Full Version : Foreign English proficiency is required for FAA ATPL?

Hyakushiki
22nd Apr 2019, 01:56
Hi guys,

Now I am planing to enroll a course for FAA ATP/CTP and A320 type rating in U.S.
I have a question about obtain FAA ATPL based on foreign license.

I hold Japanese CPL(ME), IR, 1st class medical right now, but I don't have English proficiency yet.
So, my questions is do I need a Foreign English proficiency when I obtain a FAA ATPL?

Refer to FAR Sec. 61.153 (d)(3)(ii), foreign license holder who wants to obtain FAA ATPL is required have a license which contains no geographical limitations.
ttp://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgFar.nsf/FARSBySectLookup/61.153

Does anyone know this "contains no geographical limitations" provision means that Foreign English proficiency is required or not.:confused:

Please help.

MarkerInbound
22nd Apr 2019, 16:48
No. In the FAA system the person issuing your certificate determines if you can speak and understand English. Your FAA certificate will only say you are "English Proficient" and not say anything about a particular level. The guidance for the person issuing your certificate says

"English Language Requirements. Early in the process of issuing a U.S. pilot certificate, that is on the basis of a foreign pilot license, the FAA aviation safety inspector (ASI) (Operations) or an FAA aviation safety technician (AST) must determine whether the applicant can read, speak, write, and understand the English language."

You are using your Japanese license to fill the requirement that you hold a commercial license before you get an ATP.

Hyakushiki
24th Apr 2019, 12:08
MarkerInbound;

Thanks for information.:)

My understanding is I don't need English Proficiency issued by Japanese authority when I enroll a course for ATP/CTP and type rating based on foreign license,
however, I need to attend FAA FSDO before starting course to take a English ability inspection by FAA ASI or AST.

Is my understanding correct?:confused: