PDA

View Full Version : Who needs MCC?

Grivation
4th Aug 2002, 09:00
Right - I've provided a fair bit of info to people on this forum over the last couple of months but now I have a request!

Could we have a list of which employers require the MCC as part of the application requirements -

The Boy Lard
4th Aug 2002, 09:03
Grivation,

Its my understanding that if you dont have it you wouldnt get past the paper sift at application stage!

Or maybe that was just clever marketing by my FTO......?

TBL:confused:

Freak On A Leash
4th Aug 2002, 11:53
Seems like every European airline - not necessarily air taxi - requires the MCC.Why?Maybe because then the airlines "get away with" a couple of hours less in the sim, and with so many pilots available this in turn saves the airlines money:mad:
Personally I think this is a major conspiracy, but it is claimed that the MCC course ups safety...:confused:
It strikes me a bit odd that the FAA hasn`t imposed a similar course...oh yeah - that`s right - they don`t restrict up and coming pilots as much.
That my 10 cents , just getting a bit out of the thread there too;)

Grivation
5th Aug 2002, 06:44
OK so how about companies that don't require the MCC. I can think of at least two straight away -

Easyjet
KLMUk

any more?

The Boy Lard
5th Aug 2002, 08:05
I dont know about KLM but I do know that EasyJet only hire "newbies" if theyve been through CTC which in itself is an MCC plus some.

The only freshly qualified ATPL to be taken on by Easy who didnt go through CTC was Tony Underwood.

This straight from the burger filled mouth of an Easy Captain who I BBQ'd with last week!

Cheers

TBL:cool:

worzel
5th Aug 2002, 09:04
The following Airlines are CAA appoved to offer MCC with Type Rating Conversion Courses.

Air 2000
Atlantic Airlines
Britannia
bmi
British European
KLMuk
Monarch
TNT

I would assume that there are actually a lot more, however my info is slightly out of date. It would follow that these Airlines do not require MCC as employment criteria because they provide it. This is probably not the case though, as removing applications without MCC is an easy way to create a smaller pile of CV's on your desk.

As mentioned in another thread....Yes MCC is a sham.

worzel

Wee Weasley Welshman
5th Aug 2002, 09:50
Some airlines have a policy that new hires will complete a company MCC course bundled into their initial training. Certainly I joined Go without an MCC. However the exact situation fluctuates with time and between airlines.

The MCC is a useful little course particularly if done on a proper motion jet sim. I know they don't teach you how to handle it but that doesn't stop you learning... Can make all the difference when you get to Airline Sim Check time and its supposedly the first time your hands have laid themselves on a set of thrust levers and a big heavy yoke....

moggie
7th Aug 2002, 08:22
Donīt forget that the MCC course syllabus is a MINIMUM spec. You can add to it if you wish and for around 70 quid per hour, 4 extra hours doing the jet handling that you will need for your selection ride is great value for money.

Remember the following:

1) the FNPTs used for MCC do not need to have motion and so most don't (cheaper to build) so for maximum value from your time, I suggest looking for one that does. Also, most are VERY simple devices, offering minimal reality - look for one based a "proper" sim or at least a high quality FNPT2.

2) the CAA will not permit hand flying on the MCC so any hand flying has to be in addition to the MCC. We wish it was not so but rules are rules.

3) You will probably have your selection test flight on a jet sim - so do you really want to do your MCC on a King Air?

4) Ask around - find out (on this forum) who provide GOOD MCC courses - a lot is down to the dedication and enthusiasm (and experience) of the instructors.