PDA

View Full Version : Security certificates

radeng
18th Apr 2019, 21:24
I have a credit card with MBNA. Until January 1, had not trouble logging into their website. Since then, I invariably get a warning that the security certificate is invalid. I removed the MBNA website from the list of favourites and re-booted the computer, as advised by MBNA:: no change. I don't want to ignore the security warning, though, in case it has some validity.....
My wife has the same ISP as me , and she does not have the problem. Any ideas as to the answer? Is it possible that there's a virus of some sort on my computer that Norton has missed?
Thanks in advance
Radeng

Saab Dastard
19th Apr 2019, 08:13
What browser and what OS? What's the URL you are using when you see the warning? Can you look at the details of the warning and see the certificate detail?

radeng
19th Apr 2019, 08:43
Internet Explorer, Windows 7, https://mbna.co.uk or https://www.mbna.co.ukCertificate detail >>>The security certificate presented by this website was not issued by a trusted certificate authority.<<<

Helix Von Smelix
19th Apr 2019, 10:41
which version of IE. It pains me to suggest you try another browser.
All ok with MS Edge browser on Windows 10, and Chrome.

PJD1
19th Apr 2019, 11:57
Just tried the links with IE11 on Windows 10 and they work without any warnings, also working with Firefox. Not sure if it will help but you could try clearing your browser cache and cookies.

PJD1
19th Apr 2019, 12:07
Another thing to try, in Internet Explorer go to Tools - Internet Options, click on the content tab and then click "Clear SSL State". This should clear ant cached SSL certificates that might be out of date.

andytug
19th Apr 2019, 17:14
Also... check the clock on your computer is correct, if wrong can be a sign the Bios backup battery is goosed, and wrong time plays havoc with security certs.

Saab Dastard
19th Apr 2019, 18:54
In addition to the above, ensure that you have the latest security patches for IE11 & Win7 - sometimes additional certification authorities are released as security updates for IE.

I checked that those links are fine in IE11, FF 66.0.3 and Chrome.

SD