PDA

View Full Version : water for pilots

skorpov
18th Apr 2019, 15:22
Good day everyone

I'm working for an ACMI company and we'll be flying for a low cost airline for few months in Europe.
Unfortuntely they're giving us only one 33cl bottle of water even during 9h flights...which with turnaround etc are quite a lot of duty time.
and for sure not enough to drink.

So far i remember isn't there a regulation about this? shouldn't they provide us way more to hydrate?

thanks for everyone helping out

Intruder
18th Apr 2019, 20:05
You could bring your own water...

Mr @ Spotty M
18th Apr 2019, 20:43
How do they get that past security then, l ask?

Denti
18th Apr 2019, 22:10
How do they get that past security then, l ask?

Only a problem in the UK. In most of the rest of Europe, in line with current EU security regulations, crew can bring water (and other fluids) through staff security channels when on duty.

That said, working for a LCC we do get 2 liters of water per duty and as much tap water as we want, mostly used to brew tea or coffee.

TowerDog
18th Apr 2019, 23:54
Miami Air?
Ask the purser for a cup or a bottle of water whenever needed.
If he, or she refuse, talk to operation and mention flight safety, whatever.
Been there, done that, those problems solved themselves after a while, but pretty sad really.

flyboyike
19th Apr 2019, 12:14
Miami Air?
Ask the purser for a cup or a bottle of water whenever needed.
If he, or she refuse, talk to operation and mention flight safety, whatever.
Been there, done that, those problems solved themselves after a while, but pretty sad really.

I doubt Miami Air has any airplanes that can stay aloft for 9 hours...

TowerDog
19th Apr 2019, 13:47
I doubt Miami Air has any airplanes that can stay aloft for 9 hours...

He didn’t say 9 hours non-stop..

flyboyike
19th Apr 2019, 15:30
Only a problem in the UK. In most of the rest of Europe, in line with current EU security regulations, crew can bring water (and other fluids) through staff security channels when on duty.

That said, working for a LCC we do get 2 liters of water per duty and as much tap water as we want, mostly used to brew tea or coffee.

He can also buy drinks inside of security (granted, he shouldn't have to), but it is what it is.

Intruder
19th Apr 2019, 16:11
Bring in an empty bottle if necessary, and fill it at a fountain or sink.

back to Boeing
20th Apr 2019, 18:46
Bring in an empty bottle if necessary, and fill it at a fountain or sink.

Or just insist your employer follows their duty of care and you are provided the water you require.

Rendy
27th Apr 2019, 16:59
There is regulation only saying that the operator should describe in the company manual how the nutrition is ensured (Part-ORO FTL). There is not any specification about volume of water per flight hour etc. Some airlines don’t even provide any water onboard and have just a source of water in the crew room (barrel, tap) and it’s still legal.

Uplinker
12th May 2019, 21:35
If all your pilots went on strike over this, water would be forthcoming.

Don’t be bullied into accepting bad Ts and Cs.

CW247
23rd May 2019, 12:47
Agreed with Uplinker. Just one single 4 hr strike over water will make the headlines and threaten a PR disaster of monumental proportions. Which airline is this?

Twiglet1
23rd May 2019, 14:15
ORO.FTL Think it only says how the break should be ensued not what crews get in the break.
But food (and water) is fuel.

SOPS
23rd May 2019, 14:25
I’m ashamed how low this industry has sunk when it can’t even supply pilots water . They expect you to operate for 9 hours on what???? I’m also ashamed that we, as a group accept s$$t like this. When will we say .. enough?

tomuchwork
24th May 2019, 19:37
Standard for sure with Europe's biggest low cost. No water, no crewfood. Need to bring everything by yourself. Yes, normally (except UK, because they are always weird, but Europe is getting slowly used to them, now they leave anyway ^^) in Europe it is ok to bring your own water with you as a crewmember. Nobody at security will challenge you. OR - you bring the empty bottle and fill it in the crewroom(UK).

Agree, low cost really hit rock bottom IF it is to much to provide some water to your pilots. Well, modern aviation. They really like to remove the last tiny bit of glamour from aviation. Mission accomplished - congratulations. BUT - they want their pilots to be proud about their company AND communicate that to the public world(various company memos refer, as well the "uniform regulation"(that you have to buy your own uniform and then wear it with pride - lol)). Hell no.

Uplinker
28th May 2019, 09:26
Does the head office have water dispensers, or safe tap water? I bet it does.

ALL the workforce should have access to drinking water - especially aircrew; who work in a dry environment.

Get the Union on the case.