PDA

View Full Version : October Airline sponsorship @ Jerez

window-seat
2nd Aug 2001, 02:43
Does anyone know which airline is planning to send 10 sponsored students to jerez for the course starting 1st of October?

Could it be BA, tagging a further 10 onto the back of their full August class?

:confused:

mattince
2nd Aug 2001, 03:09
Sorry but could someone please give me a website for the flight trainer in Jerez? I have searched for ages on the net but can't really find anywhere. I am currently intending to go to Oxford early next year but would now like to find out whats at Jerez and how much it costs.

Thanks.

window-seat
2nd Aug 2001, 03:25
Try www.baesystems.es (http://www.baesystems.es)

The course costs E80,400 which works out at about £49,500 at the mo. compaired to something like £53,500 for OAT.

However, the BAE course includes everything including air con. accom. with en-suite, and three meals a day! (oh yeh, and a massive swimming pool with sun terrace)!

QUERY
2nd Aug 2001, 03:42
Window-Seat or have you a company-SEAT?,
It seems you're 'well-connected' with, or even working for, BAE so why don't you just ask them, or simply tell us the answer, instead of wasting our time and advertising for them on this site?

Le-Slat Disagree
2nd Aug 2001, 12:24
Query,

I must say, that's a little harsh! Window-seat has obviously done his research on a huge investment he is about to undertake. Futher more, he's offering his knowledge to others who could be making similar decisions.

Window-seat's question is a good one, I'd like to know. I also agree with the statement's he's said.

Le-Slat

window-seat
2nd Aug 2001, 16:06
Maybe I could suggest a discount from Mary Jo, following all the ADVERTISING[/B] i'm apparently doing for them! :D

If the flying does'nt work out, perhapse i'll try a Marketing Degree! :p

floridian falcon
2nd Aug 2001, 16:21
Being in a similar situation to 'mattince', and having done quite a bit of homework on the various integrated courses, I ask a question to those who are going to Jerez or who are currently there.

Q. What was the deciding factor in making you choose Jerez over any of the other schools?

It would be great to know why others are choosing Jerez over others before I fly out there to check them out. After all £50k has to be spent wisely.

Look forward to hearing your comments.

Safe flying

FF :p

Le-Slat Disagree
2nd Aug 2001, 16:44
floridian falcon

All the flying schools have there plus's & minus's but here's how I made my decision (but not in any particular order!!)

1. Spain has a nice climate
2. Oxford's airspace is very crowded i.e. singles & twins in the same circuit.
3. Jerez is fairly quiet, but you get some jet interaction (737's MD83's etc)
4. Payment is in Euro's - Last two months saved over £2000 just because the euro is so weak.
5. VAT on accommodation & food only (not training) @ 7%
6. Good opportunity to 'get away' from any distractions.
7. Excellent facilities at Jerez - really top class.
8. Price is all-inclusive of food and accommodation.
9. Some people may say BAe holds no weight in the name (may be true - may not be too!!)
10. If it's good enough for BA, Airtours, Air Lingus, etc etc It's good
enough for me!
11. Aircraft maintenance facilities are excellent & the aircraft are in excellent condition.
12. Received very positive reports from current & past students.
13. Did i mention the weather??!!
14. Not good to finish on 13 points, food seems good too!

Anyway there are probably one or two more reasons, that I can't think of right now. Maybe I should go into marketing!! But seriously, when spending this amount of money it's worth doing the research. I believe BAe will bring the best out in me - but that's not to say the other schools wouldn't do such a good job. It is a tough decision - and I hope this information will help you.

P.S. This has been written from my opinion, and what I believe, I could be wrong!!

Happy flying

Le-Slat :cool:

EggBeta
2nd Aug 2001, 19:02
Problem with BAe in Jerez is that thewy don't offer modular flight training. Does anyone have any knowledge on when they will offer this. I have e-mailed them several times and but they haven't responded. About 6 months ago they told me by the start of 2002, but as yet nothing?
With OATS putting up flight training costs, it now seems like a no brainer to go down to Jerez. null

VFE
15th Aug 2001, 14:29
Rang Jerez today to confirm that I am on the October 1st course. No mention of the phantom airline - has anyone else heard anything?

Any airline sponsored folks out there who have been told they may be going to Jerez to train in October?

VFE.

Le-Slat Disagree
15th Aug 2001, 14:52
Congrats VFE!!

So that's two of us confirmed :D

I think two others had also signed, so that's all the self sponsors, unless the 'Airline' has delayed their course.

I've sent you an e-mail.

Cheers

Le-Slat

window-seat
15th Aug 2001, 16:41
I spoke with BAe yesterday,

My name is down for the 1st & 29th, dependant on the airlines plans. Guess I'll just aim for the 29th and if the 1st becomes avaliable thats a bonus!

Have you guys, VFE & Le slat, returned your contracts and paid deposits yet? I am dissapointed at the exchange rate at the moment, the course is working out at a good Grand or so more than it was when I was first ready to convert cash! Will probably convert the deposit for now, and pray that the Pound recovers a bit before changing any large amounts. :(

Le-Slat Disagree
15th Aug 2001, 18:53
Window Seat

Yes, paid the deposit, and yes I'm £1,300 down in the the last two weeks :mad:
However, I saved £2,000+ since April so still getting a reasonable deal, but not as good as two weeks ago. I've taken the plunge and frozen my exchange rates for 16 months so it can do what it likes now (probably the £ will strengthen & Euro weaken) but at least it's fixed.

Hope to see you on the 1st chap. I could get used to this sunny weather! :cool:

Le-Slat

VFE
15th Aug 2001, 20:28
Hi Window-Seat,

Yup - paid the deposit and returned the contract and have been confirmed to start on the 1st.

So would I be right in thinking that there are four self-sponsorers gauranteed on the 1st Oct and the rest are subject to the airline?

You guys ain't the only ones to be dissapointed at the recent fall in the exchange rate. The course as it stands today is now just under £51k. This is a depressing price hike and I am praying that something happens in our favour soon! :mad:

I was planning to change the whole lot but now I am beginning to think that may not be the best option afterall. On the one hand we get the amount set and we have peace of mind that it is going to be fixed but on the other hand, as was pointed out earlier in the week, it could all change next week and we could've made the wrong decision. Tricky one really - I am not an expert on these things and it seems (from what I can gather from those who are!) that it is all a gamble. :(

Great. :rolleyes:

VFE.

FlyingGiraffe
17th Aug 2001, 15:52
VFE, Le-Slat Disagree and window-seat...

Looks like it's us four for the 1st then... just got a call from Michael @ Jerez this morning to confirm I'm on!!! :D :D :D

Contract being couriered over today... hopefully not by dilapidated donkey... so should get it early next week.

Just gotta decide what the bloody Euro's gonna do over the next 14 months now. :confused:

Have you guys had any thoughts about how you're gonna get down there? Driving? Flying? I dunno... cycling??!

--FG
(too excited to carry on sorting the house out today... time for a swift half down the local I reckon!)

window-seat
17th Aug 2001, 16:46
Hi guys!

Yep, I've spoken to mike this am, and my contract is on it's way too... (at last)! :eek: I can now make some proper plans (though i've got to suffer a week in Zante first) :D At least I'll get a start on the sun-tan!

Trying to work out all the financial exchange details at mo, which as you all know is a bit tricky to say the least...(must be something we can do to strengthen the pound for a few weeks)!
:confused:

I was thinking of driving but have decided to fly, it sounds like we would be better of looking into part shares in an old wreck once out there.....(can we get 4 onto a moped)! :D Perhaps we can let the sponsored types buy one and scav the odd lift?

Don't thing we will need much anyway, it's all ground-school till we come home at xmas. All our uniform, books etc are provided and there is access to computers if you need it.

All you need to take:-

1) underware (though not compulsory)
2) a couple of T shirts
3) some jeans
4) a beech towel
5) speedo's!
6) footy kit & tennis bat!
7) sun cream
8) beer money :D
9) passport (& driving licence)

Anything i've forgotten? Any one looked into mobile phone options?

Cheers!

VFE
17th Aug 2001, 19:56
Hey hey hey!! :)

Seems like we've got a good bunch of us here - can't wait to meet up! Spoke to Le-Slat-Disagree the other day and he sounds like a top bloke too!

As for travelling there??

I am swimming. :D

FlyingGiraffe
17th Aug 2001, 19:59
Hi window-seat -- must be a good news day today or summat!

The only obvious thing missing off your list is something like a pullover or jumper... according to Mike it can get down to 5 degrees over winter! Admittedly not exacly arctic conditions but still....! :)

I think flying down there is the only sensible option for me - I spoke to a guy in Malaga the other week who drove his family down. He reckons 11 hours for France, 11 for Spain plus whatever in the UK. He said it wasn't easy and he had the luxury of a convertible Beemer!

Don't know if you've been down there or not, but most of the cars seemed to be local jobs (either hired or bought - I'd guess the latter)... with the obvious exception of the black Z3 and the silver Elise!!

Not looked into moby options yet... I might just keep the Orange contract I've got and see how the bills turn out after a month or two.

I've got the email address of one guy down there already, so I'll drop them a note asking what the basics are...

Le-Slat Disagree
17th Aug 2001, 20:46
Chaps! What a day!

306 has gone this morning, home PC went this afternoon, and tonight, I'm out selling my body :p

Things seem to be coming together at last. I'm planning on flying out of STN. Last time I spoke to Mary Jo, she said we need to be out there for the 26th Sept, for intros etc. I'll confirm that next week though. Glad to hear you are all on board for the 1st. Seems to be a great bunch so far

FlyingGiraffe, I've dropped you an email.

Guys - Dont forget your shades! :cool:

Le-Slat