PDA

View Full Version : New Qantas Sim Building

hestonfysh
14th Apr 2019, 09:52
Heard today the company have been forced into building a new simulator building because of a new roading project into the domestic terminal impacting the current structure. Construction to begin later this year to be ready by 2021.

This will be a significant investment. How will the training department handle the downtime whilst the simulators are being dismantled, moved, reassembled and calibrated?

dragon man
14th Apr 2019, 10:12
It’s another reason why the 747 is finished, they won’t want to move a sim for 6 aircraft and a short time.

Beer Baron
14th Apr 2019, 10:20
How will the training department handle the downtime whilst the simulators are being dismantled, moved, reassembled and calibrated?
Fortunately they have a training centre in Melbourne with a 787, 330 and 2 737 simulators. I expect they will cease selling space in these sims for the duration of the move and will need to buy time in other operators sims. Apparently Fiji Airways are getting an A330 simulator which is likely to be under utilised.

Global Aviator
14th Apr 2019, 11:50
Hmmmm which Asian country do they already use for the 787? Pretty sure there’s 737 sims to...

Going Boeing
14th Apr 2019, 13:21
You forgot to ask who’s paying?

my understanding is that the road project is so essential that the cost to Qantas for replacement of the Simulator/Emergency Procedures Centre, & the Catering Centre is only 15% of the total cost. The NSW Taxpayers are bearing most of the cost.

Buster Hyman
14th Apr 2019, 14:21
I expect they will cease selling space in these sims for the duration of the move

Well, there goes Tigers Flight Training plans! :rolleyes:

hotnhigh
14th Apr 2019, 22:52
It's not as if moving the sim building has come out of the blue. It was probably first pencilled in 1993. And Alan's been all over it, having only replaced the dunny rolls in the sim building during his tenure. Apparently there is some cheap land at Dixon fields out past Penrith. Perfect location for a new training centre. And considering how well the setup in Toowomba has gone, perhaps the same stream leaders can be involved there.

The Nemesis
15th Apr 2019, 06:05
Beer, Don't bet on that. A few other operators have already approached FJ looking for any spare A330 slots they may have when the center is up and running.

maggot
15th Apr 2019, 07:38
So where will.it actually be?

I had heard a rumour (long ago) it was to be in Alexandria somewhere

TBM-Legend
15th Apr 2019, 08:06
New building and environs and other upgrades and still the hordes aren't happy. Is it something in the Oz psyche that makes for the emphasis on the negative of everything??

Global Aviator
15th Apr 2019, 08:31
Nah just upgrading the ‘flight experience’ sims, finish base check and do a session with the punters.

All part of the next gen EBA...

Of course prior ‘flight experience’ instructors will be CSAA approved.

Going Nowhere
15th Apr 2019, 12:17
Apparently the new building is going in the carpark next to the Catering building near QCC.

morno
15th Apr 2019, 13:55
New building and environs and other upgrades and still the hordes aren't happy. Is it something in the Oz psyche that makes for the emphasis on the negative of everything??

Agree. Who’d want to work in such a place with such negative people.

Going Boeing
15th Apr 2019, 20:49
Apparently the new building is going in the carpark next to the Catering building near QCC.

Yes, that’s where I’ve been told it’s going. There has been a vehicle drilling for soil test samples in that carpark.

Was also told that the catering building will be demolished as part of the project.

gordonfvckingramsay
15th Apr 2019, 22:06

Go easy morno, there is almost nothing to be positive about with QF these days.

dr dre
15th Apr 2019, 23:30
Go easy morno, there is almost nothing to be positive about with QF these days.

The dozens of new recruits starting each month and which will continue indefinitely into the future, a lot of whom have come from other major airlines must tell you the exact opposite. Why would they leave command positions at major airlines to restart their careers again if there weren’t overwhelming positives there compared to the rest?

Maybe it would pay for some to discover what the world outside their little bubble is like and that things aren’t that bad where they are?

LeadSled
15th Apr 2019, 23:45
TBM Legend,
Yes!!
Tootle pip!!

maggot
16th Apr 2019, 00:34
Yes, that’s where I’ve been told it’s going. There has been a vehicle drilling for soil test samples in that carpark.

Was also told that the catering building will be demolished as part of the project.
Adjacent king st, beside the powerplant, the cage or the western side of the catering building? Carparks abound!

Australopithecus
16th Apr 2019, 03:09
I heard adjacent to the powerplant, dangerously close to the campus. There goes the neighbourhood.

Transition Layer
16th Apr 2019, 03:47
*yawn* Not again Morno...:rolleyes:

maggot
16th Apr 2019, 04:29
I heard adjacent to the powerplant, dangerously close to the campus. There goes the neighbourhood.
Post Sim beers at that bar on the street then!
Finally a reason for the street falls into place

Australopithecus
16th Apr 2019, 08:52
See? Genius is never appreciated in its own time. In a few short years we’ll be smiling on AJ's foresight in creating the whole post-sim libation precinct. No?

SandyPalms
16th Apr 2019, 09:40
How many streets, bars and coffee shops will it have? Will it have a pulpit? Will it be called the “Alan Joyce commemorative centre for excellence in pilot ****”? C’mon, these are the important questions.

maggot
16th Apr 2019, 09:55
I'm easily pleased - happily drink to that after a Sim

See morno some things are looking up!

Australopithecus
16th Apr 2019, 10:10
Sandy, I like your suggested moniker. Only make it “shoite” for a more authentic ring to be sure, boyo.

yeah, Morno. Its not all doom and gloom over here. Sometimes its doom and sarcasm.

Transition Layer
16th Apr 2019, 11:01
I’d much prefer it named after the greatest aviator ever to wear a white hat...RCdC!

SandyPalms
16th Apr 2019, 11:06
The centre for outdated overzealous discrepancy?

morno
16th Apr 2019, 18:27
I'm easily pleased - happily drink to that after a Sim

See morno some things are looking up!

At least someone is. Honestly, the amount of unhappiness and negativity I see on this forum from Qantas drivers, anyone would think you were hard done by.

morno
16th Apr 2019, 18:28
*yawn* Not again Morno...:rolleyes:

Could say the same about Qantas pilots whinging and whining.

ScepticalOptomist
16th Apr 2019, 20:56
At least someone is. Honestly, the amount of unhappiness and negativity I see on this forum from Qantas drivers, anyone would think you were hard done by.

Meh, it’s the internet - it’s full of people venting. Don’t make the mistake of thinking they represent ALL of us.

Life is good.

Transition Layer
17th Apr 2019, 00:02
Well apart from the “lost decade” (JQ) and subsequent reduction in the size of the fleet which has seen wide body commands blow out to almost 25yrs seniority...everything is awesome! But still no one leaves so it can’t be that bad :}

gulliBell
17th Apr 2019, 14:14
Hmmmm which Asian country do they already use for the 787?

There's a 787 sim in China....I know because I was the first bunny to drive it! Very slick.

Street garbage
20th Apr 2019, 06:54
Morno, all is can say is it's a great place to work, with a lot of great people on the operational side...it's just that it could be so much better.