PDA

View Full Version : Oil sample "indicating" - now what ?

His dudeness
13th Apr 2019, 08:29
Hello,

I´m just a low life pilot, so bear with me.... we operate 2 PW306C's on a Cessna Sovereign in a corporate ops and we just had a return from the oil sampling at P&Ws for one engine (R/H) showing "Indicator value is above the expected level" for the "carbon seals indicator" & the "bearing indicator", the "gearing indicator" shows "within expected level". There is no absolute values given, I take it from the legend that the next level is "maintanance action required" - we will provide another sample within 25 flight hours.

I would like to go into the discussions with our CAMO and P&W a tad more educated than I´m now.

How reliable are these methods, the sampling in your opinion ?
Lets suppose the next sampling result would be the same, would you be comfortable still operating the engine? (As we have an expanded downtime in July/August, Im looking at about another 100-120 hrs of operation before we would "like" to get the engine repaired.)
Is it possible to identify which bearing is the cause ? (the only other time I had this coming up was with a Honeywell HTF 7500 engine and they identified exactly which bearing was the issue - but as this was a brand new aircraft we got another engine and I never heard back wether this bearing really was the issue - we had an oil chip detect with this engine - the current one does not show anything yet)
Would you get both engines off, even if No1 is still reporting okay ? Both engines are now at about 3400hrs, the HSI was done at 3000hrs. We operate the aircraft since new.

Thanks,

h_d