PDA

View Full Version : PMI COURSE

glenb
11th Apr 2019, 05:15
Hi All,
Is anyone aware of an online course or similar that has been designed to meet the MOS requirements for Principles and Methods of Instruction (PMI), cheers. Glen

Duck Pilot
11th Apr 2019, 10:03
Not aware of any online courses, I’m currently studying to do the exam and using the FAA Flight Instructor’s Manual. Haven’t got a link for it however it’s free to download if you can find it online, google search.

As far as practice exams go, try https://www.practicecyberexams.com/

RUMBEAR
11th Apr 2019, 11:29
I haven’t kept up to date with the introduction of Part 61 but they’re was a big difference between a PMI course ( which included something like 12 hours minimum classroom instruction) and sitting the exam. One was required as classroom instruction for the issue of a grade 3 instructor rating. The exam was required for the issue of a grade 1 instructor rating. An online PMI would seem to be an inappropriate delivery method of this type of course. There needs to be a reasonable level of interaction required due to the course content.

Doesnt really answer the question, just my thoughts!

Runaway Gun
12th Apr 2019, 05:40
I second Duck Pilot's suggestion. Keep in mind there may be two or three questions relating to CASA publications (it's open book).
Otherwise, score above 90% on the cyber exams, and you are ready.

roundsounds
12th Apr 2019, 11:47
CASA FIR information sheet (https://www.casa.gov.au/file/205506/download?token=l3-q_IiN)

As well as passing the PIRC you must meet the educational requirements (that means you must either hold a tertiary qualifcation in teaching or a certifcate IV in training and assessment, or complete an approved course of training in principles and methods of instruction)

The Exam (https://www.casa.gov.au/standard-page/pilot-instructor-rating-common-examination-pirc)

Runaway Gun
13th Apr 2019, 12:25
That glossy brochure does indeed mention having to complete an approved course, yet according to the CASA website, the pre-requisites for the exam is simply:

"As the PIRC is an examination leading towards the award of a Flight Instructor Rating, the candidate is required to hold a PPL or higher grade of licence before he/she may be permitted to undertake the examination."

roundsounds
13th Apr 2019, 15:53
That glossy brochure does indeed mention having to complete an approved course, yet according to the CASA website, the pre-requisites for the exam is simply:

"As the PIRC is an examination leading towards the award of a Flight Instructor Rating, the candidate is required to hold a PPL or higher grade of licence before he/she may be permitted to undertake the examination."

CASR 61.1185 also says:
“(4) The applicant must also:
(a) have completed an approved course of training in principles and methods of instruction;
or
(b) hold a Certificate IV in Training and Assessment; or
(c) hold a tertiary qualification in teaching.”

Runaway Gun
13th Apr 2019, 20:32
Forgive my confusion then, but to sit the exam, do you have to have completed a course if you don’t hold a Cert 4?

They let me sit the exam with only self study.

roundsounds
14th Apr 2019, 09:00
Forgive my confusion then, but to sit the exam, do you have to have completed a course if you don’t hold a Cert 4?

They let me sit the exam with only self study.
seems like you can sit the exam, but you must satisfy the requirements of 61.1185 prior to sitting the flight test.