PDA

View Full Version : $108,000 in CASA fines – who paid?

Dick Smith
11th Apr 2019, 03:59
The CASA 2017/18 financial report states that there were administrative fines of $108,000.

Does anyone know of anyone who actually paid one of these fines, what it was for, and how much it was?

Seeing this is a rumour mill, possibly someone could post what the “rumour” is!

no_one
11th Apr 2019, 05:35
Drones are where the big dollars for CASA are these days... eg:
https://www.casa.gov.au/media-release/fine-drone-flight-over-sheeran-concert

and there are lots of people who have been given the pay this $500 fine and we will drop the matter or go to court and deal with the XX penalty units and strict liability.

dhavillandpilot
11th Apr 2019, 05:47
I coped at $1,000 for mis using one word in an ad, (my instead of the) even though my lawyers said it was ridiculous

thorn bird
11th Apr 2019, 22:57
Considering the tens of thousands of strict liability "offences" dream't up by CAsA,
$108,000 seems a paltry amount, especially when weighed against
local councils take for parking infringements and State government
receives from traffic offences.

Maybe there's just not enough aviators left to fine.

I always imagined that moving aviation regulations into the criminal code was a
revenue focused "Thought bubble" by some bureaucrat. Strict liability was to circumvent
a normal legal process, "administrative" fines were to discourage aggrieved defendants
from AAT proceedings.

Who decides in CAsA who to fine and who to prosecute?

Considering they took a miscreant to federal court for the heinous crime of not producing his logbooks in a timely manner, which they lost, because the judge couldn't figure out how that had anything to do with safety, despite CAsA's QC's eloquent submission that it would rain aluminium if the judge didn't find for them. The defendant represented himself, couldn't afford a lawyer.

One wonders why CAsA expended thousands of dollars in legal fees rather than just fining him? I guess that depends who you have pissed off in CAsA.

I ponder how Australia could ever consider giving an independent government corporation the power to write their own legislation, investigate criminal breach of that legislation, circumvent due process, decide the penalty and apply the sanctions, all with absolutely no accountability or legal scrutiny from anyone.

Everything is fine in Australia, there is a fine for everything.

dhavillandpilot
12th Apr 2019, 02:48
In my case the letter stated pay $1,000 now and no court proceedings alternatively go to court and get a $10,000 fine.

Not what I'd call equitable or fair, but hey you cannot Buck city hall unless you have very deep pockets.

As Dick has said many times get out of General Aviation, only problem is it is like a drug very addictive.

Dick Smith
13th Apr 2019, 14:01
Is the rumour true that the major Australian Airlines have never been fined?

If they have been how can they keep it a secret.

My Board was responsible for introducing the Administrative fines system.

I was told told it would only be used against the weak.

Also was the fine minimum increased so the Airlines received a definite message?

thorn bird
13th Apr 2019, 21:45
I think you know the answer to that Dick.

One of majors was found on several occasions to have incorrect load data,
For a GA operator that would have lead to a "hostile Audit" and the business
shut down.

LeadSled
14th Apr 2019, 06:57
I coped at $1,000 for mis using one word in an ad, (my instead of the) even though my lawyers said it was ridiculous

Can you tell us any more about the "facts and circumstances".
On the face of it, I agree with your lawyer, but most crumble at the thought of the cost of fighting CASA in the courts, where the court fascination with "Aviation Safety" tips the balance way in CASA's favor, before you even start.
The recent Angel Flight matter is a case in point --- the defense never had a chance.
Tootle pip!!.

aroa
15th Apr 2019, 00:40
Sometimes you can get lucky ...i
In my final court appearance..second time round for the same thing (photograhy) different times ( think on that!!) the word was major fine and/or the calboose !!.
While I am aware lawyers talk shop with each other for 'deals', there was a lawyer magistrate issue here and his comment was , and fabulous ray of sunshine for me...;this is at the lowest end of the satety scale', low fine and that was it.
The large CAsA entourage were **** faced !!

What a far cry from the original court case, CasA ambush witness, treatise on how PPLs are the big killers etc etc. ( You needed a shovel) And outright LIES from the Prosecutor.
Like i keep saying...with the mentality of some these CAsA people who must win at any cost , lies, defamatory statements and any old bull**** will do. !!

Nothing has changed since, except further train loads of rubbish, but something better happen...and soon.

Dick Smith
15th Apr 2019, 03:22
Aroa. What was the safety issue they were addressing?

Andy_RR
15th Apr 2019, 05:43
It is indeed very satisfying to watch a government solicitor's office prosecutor eat dirt in a magistrates court although if it is 100% successful the fig leaf can slip a little and the magistrate can become extremely hostile and unfriendly too!

aroa
15th Apr 2019, 23:47
Dick. In one word NONE. They just collected invoices and cheque butt copies to prove I had engaged in the 'commerce' of photography* ( using an aircraft.)
Not only did the paperwork sleuths bullsh*t to the clients, on complaint they later lied to the Minister that they had never done so.
* It was a hit job involving a competitor company. ie Corruption and cronyism.

And to illustrate the mind set of the bastards in this dreadful 'organisation' after my initial court case, a round-robin email was sent to those involved in the successful 'hit', listing Fine totals.." For your amusement"
I kid you not.
Paul Phelan,(retd) the only serious and long tern investigative aviation journalist the country has ever had, who wrote articles about CAsA buggery, Reg 206, photography and etc, at first didnt believe that could be true.
I emailed him a copy.
As I keep saying, with the disgusting CAsA monolith... NOTHING will change until there is either a Royal Commission or Judicial Inquiry into the whole stinking mess
And the rot does go right to the top, and I have the proof after decades of FOI and etc.

Statements by OP GlenB regarding what CAsA has done are right on the money.
Its how CAsA were, are and always will be unless something can be done.