PDA

View Full Version : The Golden Spanner

Talking Radalt
3rd Aug 2002, 22:47
Saw the original of this in a civvy aero-engineering newsletter but the message is the same.

At a certain Squadron's annual Christmas dinner, the engineers were asked to nominate a recipient for the "Golden Spanner" award, for the pilot they felt showed best understanding of the engineering behind the flying. That year it was a close run vote, which turned out to be a tie between Flt Lt X, a quiet chap with a reputation for asking simple questions, and Flt Lt Y, a loud bloke with a reputation for giving complicated answers. It was down to the WO Eng to decide the winner, which he did by asking them both a simple question...

"What oil lubricates the main engine accessory gearbox?" he asked.

Flt Lt X pondered for a short while then replied, "I have no idea"
"Sure?" asked the WO.
"Yes" said X
"Not even a guess?" continued the WO
"No" concluded Flt Lt X :o

The WO turned to Flt Lt Y...

"OX 31!" declared the pilot without prompting :rolleyes:
"Are you sure?" asked the WO calmly.
"Yes"
"So if you were down-route and had to do a top-up on the main gearbox, a safety critical part, you'd use OX31?" the WO enquired.
"Yes!" was the confident reply. :D

"Actually...it uses OX32" said the WO, who then turned to the assembled Squadron and announced,
"Gentlemen, this year's winner is Flt Lt X!" which was greeted with raptuous applause from the engineers.

Later, a cleary aggrieved Flt Lt Y cornered the WO alone at the bar.

"OI!" he started "Why'd you give the award to X? He didn't even answer!" :mad:
Slightly put out at the intrusion the WO replied "But your answer was wrong, the answer was OX32 and you said OX31"
"Yeah but I was close! Flt Lt X didn't know and wouldn't even have a guess!"

The WO smiled, put down his pint and turned to look at Flt Lt Y.

"Exactly";)

the funky munky
4th Aug 2002, 21:21
My compliments on the tale , never a truer word has been spoken. Now before we get into another Eng V Driver slanging match, it reminds me of a couple of MTPs I know. Very quiet and soft spoken but very switched on.