PDA

View Full Version : New display building for our Southern Cross and the Vickers Vimy?

Dick Smith
9th Apr 2019, 03:03
I believe it is incredible that we still have the original two aircraft that were the foundation of aviation in Australia. That is, the Vickers Vimy, which his hidden in the side of a car park at Adelaide Airport, and the Southern Cross, which is at Brisbane.

Recently I walked from the International Terminal to the Domestic Terminal at Brisbane so I could go past the Southern Cross building. It is quite incredible, but hardly anyone sees either of these aircraft.

When you go to the USA, if you go to the Smithsonian there is the Spirit of St Louis, the Wright Flyer – everything is there in one central location.

Wouldn’t it be great if we could get a similar exhibition? I suppose the best place would be Canberra. Say, a big building as an adjunct to our existing National Museum of Australia, with the Southern Cross and the Vickers Vimy as the centre of the exhibition.

I would love to read everyone’s comments.

Each state will probably be parochial and insist they keep their own plane, however these are national assets. That’s why I think it would be great if they were in one display.

dhavillandpilot
9th Apr 2019, 03:41
I thoroughly agree with you. But the problem is that we would need a senior polititian that has both an interest in aviation and its history and is statesman enough to see the national benefit.

None of these qualities are abound today.

PS

i know we will never see them but Lawrence Hargraves models are all at the Deutchers Museum in Munich. These would be a perfect addition to a national collection

virgindriver
9th Apr 2019, 03:59
I think the Southern Cross should be moved a lot closer to the domestic terminal in Brisbane where people can actually see it.

The BAC has made driving there a lot more difficult as you have only one entry from town- miss it and it's a long way around to get back.

Signage must be very small or non existent too.

Deliberate attempt to stop free parking in their quest for more profits.

machtuk
9th Apr 2019, 06:53
I thoroughly agree with you. But the problem is that we would need a senior polititian that has both an interest in aviation and its history and is statesman enough to see the national benefit.

None of these qualities are abound today.

PS

i know we will never see them but Lawrence Hargraves models are all at the Deutchers Museum in Munich. These would be a perfect addition to a national collection

very true, would be great but sadly will never happen in this aviation museum desert called Australia! There's no money in it!

TBM-Legend
9th Apr 2019, 07:05
Agree that both should be in Canberra. The Brisbane Airport home for the Southern Cross is now a "secret"...

Traffic_Is_Er_Was
9th Apr 2019, 09:03
Deliberate attempt to stop free parking in their quest for more profits.
Considering there's only about 10 spaces at the Kingsford Smith Memorial, yet probably 200 just up the road at the Servo where the Airport advertise that you can wait (for free!!), I don't think they are too worried about the free parking.

Traffic_Is_Er_Was
9th Apr 2019, 09:05
Agree that both should be in Canberra
I thought you wanted people to see them?

Andy_G
9th Apr 2019, 09:16
Without a doubt, the highest patronage would be to have them smack bang in the terminals themselves. So probably not in one spot like a separate museum, people have so little time for anything past 10 seconds of concentration it seems now.
Canberra has a good example, too bad Brisbane never made an effort with this when they took over from government hands.
Im sure all would agree, gazing at these planes whilst you wait for boarding or similar, is time well spent on reflection, and imagination & wonder for the little ones.
I know when I was a kid I would always ask to go and have a look at the southern cross always before we went to the airport for any reason.

CoodaShooda
9th Apr 2019, 12:40
With respect to our southern cousins, the perfect spot for the Vimy is on top of the Fannie Bay cliffs close to its first landing site in Australia.

Its an open site with a well used road bending around two sides and adjacent to another tourist attraction, the Fannie Bay Gaol, so plenty of free parking.

Positioned in a glass walled hangar,it would be highly visible, accessible and in historical context.

I'm sure our Historical Aviation mob could be convinced to take on its care. They've already got a few bombers in their care at the museum (B25, B52 and F111) and a few older, fabric covered aircraft. And they keep growing the collection. P3 last year. F/A18 next year.

Traffic_Is_Er_Was
9th Apr 2019, 14:26
Brisbane Airport doesn't own the Southern Cross, the Commonwealth does. They're just the custodians of the memorial. They won't want it in the Terminals because it'll take up a lot of space, and the terminals at BNE are pretty crowded to start with.

Karunch
9th Apr 2019, 22:31
I understand the Vimy is so fragile that even a small move from its enclosure may place its structural integrity in doubt.

aroa
10th Apr 2019, 00:40
CS #9 is on the money..
At Fanny Bay, site of its historic arrival after the epic flight from UK.
The display facility would be cyclone proof,naturally... we dont want it flying away again, in pieces.
Great location, too...looking out over the water from whence it came.

As for any move.ex ADL, I'm sure the restoration experts from War Museum restoration Centre/ annex would be able to determine its structural integrity. It was a heavy bomber so It must have been built strong, and it s not having great loads imposed on it.

Darwin has plenty of tourists, is an aviation 'hot spot', 1942 bombing of and air battles, Hwy airstrips, and all the other arrivals Parer and co, Hinkler Amy J and everyone else. Fantastic Air Museum as well

TBM-Legend
10th Apr 2019, 02:24
If the Vimy is so fragile, then maybe it's time for some serious curatorial work to help preserve it for another 100 years... The Southern Cross looks in pretty good shape although a block of wood with a small propellor masquerading as a wind generator needs attention...