PDA

View Full Version : Hawker Typhoon RB396 Restoration

andyjhatton
8th Apr 2019, 12:48
It's well worth checking out this truly unique project.
I can't imagine there will be another serious effort to get an example of this rare and historically important type flying.
We're now fortunate to have many examples of Spitfire and even Hurricane flying in the UK, but the Typhoon is one of several somewhat forgotten WWII-era types from the UK's rich aviation history.

An Internet search for "Typhoon RB396" ought to bring up the project website which contains loads of information on the project to-date and their future plans.

They've recently launched their first public crowd funding campaign to raise money for the airworthy rebuild of the rear fuselage.
This is due to commence soon at Airframe Assemblies Ltd.

BEagle
8th Apr 2019, 22:37
Indeed a very worthy project which deserves to succeed!

See https://hawkertyphoon.com/ for details.

rotorfossil
9th Apr 2019, 06:26
I think the big issue will be the Napier Sabre engine. The Sea Fury’s Centaurus is difficult enough, but the complex Sabre is something else but good luck to them.

meleagertoo
9th Apr 2019, 11:43
Whatever happened to the batch of half a dozen Tempests that was brought back to UK a couole of decades ago?
There was much brouhaha about making a flyable example out of those but it all seems to have disappeared. (States-ward?)

oxenos
9th Apr 2019, 19:52
There was much brouhaha about making a flyable example out of those but it all seems to have disappeared. (States-ward?)
Most of the ones in the states, under restoration appear to be Mk. 2 s, so Centaurus, not Sabre

Dr Jekyll
10th Apr 2019, 06:00
Whatever happened to the batch of half a dozen Tempests that was brought back to UK a couole of decades ago?

A few years ago I was visiting Booker airfield and was surprised to see the fuselage of a Tempest still with Indian air force markings visible. I decided it was probably used to provide parts or templates for the Kermit Weeks Typhoon that was under restoration there at the time.

DHfan
10th Apr 2019, 07:19
As far as I'm aware, Mr Weeks has never had a Typhoon, even a project, only a Tempest V.

DaveReidUK
10th Apr 2019, 07:59
Tempest Fugit – The Resurrection of Two of Hawkers’ Finest Fighters (http://warbirdsnews.com/aviation-museum-news/tempest-revival.html)

India Four Two
10th Apr 2019, 22:42
Thanks for that great link, Dave

There are quite a few Kermit Weeks videos on YouTube, about this project. Here’s one:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TkMPTB_zD0I
A 24 cylinder sleeve-valve engine. The mind boggles. The Tempest V must have disappeared in a cloud of blue smoke when taxiing!

oxenos
11th Apr 2019, 07:48
The Tempest V must have disappeared in a cloud of blue smoke when taxiing!

Wiki quotes oil consumption as 47 pints per hour at max cruise power, and 71/hr at emergency max power. And thats Imperial pints, not U.S.

PDR1
11th Apr 2019, 08:37
Wiki quotes oil consumption as 47 pints per hour at max cruise power, and 71/hr at emergency max power. And thats Imperial pints, not U.S.
About the same as a chipmunk then...
:\

PDR

Fitter2
11th Apr 2019, 14:17
I think the big issue will be the Napier Sabre engine. The Sea Fury’s Centaurus is difficult enough, but the complex Sabre is something else but good luck to them.

I went recently to a talk on the project. Apparently they have a zero-time engine that has been sitting inhibited since manufacture, and a company lined up to strip to component parts and rebuild. Also I gathered that modern lubricants are approved which should extend the operating life, particularly as it is unlikely to get mistreated in combat or shot at. At the same time, having had the pleasure of being driven through the air by sleeve valve engines in the past, and recalling the serviceability, rate, it would be foolish to expect a trouble-free life.

oxenos
11th Apr 2019, 17:31
About the same as a chipmunk then...

You really should not have run your Chipmunk engine up to 4,000 R.P.M.

ricardian
17th Apr 2019, 14:15
New Hawker Typhoon Documentary Film