PDA

View Full Version : Any WACs on airservicesaustralia?

hiigaran
7th Apr 2019, 16:03
From what I've seen so far, WACs aren't provided through the AIP publications on airservicesaustralia.com. Anyone know where I might be able to download PDFs of them, or otherwise view them electronically on a tablet running Ubuntu? I know iPads and Android tablets have apps, but I use neither, and ideally I'd like to have just the maps with no unnecessary add-ons or interfaces.

CaptainMidnight
8th Apr 2019, 01:23
From what I've seen so far, WACs aren't provided through the AIP publications on airservicesaustralia.com.
I believe they are copyright to Geoscience Australia. The bulk of what is on them is their data, and Airservices just provides the aeronautical information for the overlay.

I recall one of the local map provider used to sell them as either .jpg or ,pdf on CD, but its been a few years and I can't recall who it was.

hiigaran
8th Apr 2019, 07:10
Just looked around on their site. Haven't seen anything specifically mention WAC/World Aeronautical Chart, even from this page (http://www.ga.gov.au/cedda/maps/279). However, I did come across a list of pages labelled International Map of the World, or IMW, which looks like the WAC. Two problems with this: First, I don't know if it would contain all the information a WAC would have, and secondly, it mentions on each individual page the following message:

The International Map of the World (IMW) series is no longer maintained, and printed copies of this map are no longer available.

So this looks like it would be completely unsuitable for navigation purposes, or at least legally, I'm not sure. I mean, you probably could use it, but I'd rather not make an assumption.

Here's a page of the Adelaide IMW (https://ecat.ga.gov.au/geonetwork/srv/eng/catalog.search#/metadata/78314), if interested. Also, I can't tell if the map in the download link is misaligned, or if it's just conforming to the Earth's curvature. Seems like the latter though.

ScepticalOptomist
8th Apr 2019, 08:20
Send me a PM with your email address - Iíll send you something you may find useful.