PDA

View Full Version : Employment in Germany despite training abroad

marcs001
6th Apr 2019, 13:10
Hi people!

This is my first post and I hope there's no similar thread here as I could not find any.

I'm from Germany and I will start my journey becoming an airline pilot at the end of this year or beginning of 2020. But I'm not sure yet where I wanne do it. I actually prefer an integrated course but would be open for everything else that is sensible.

As the title says I'm wondering how my chances for an emplyment at a German Airline like TUI, Condor, Cityline etc. (as a German) would be if I made my training abroad (I'm really interested in Bartolini Air as its a lot cheaper than German flight schools).
I am asking cause I've talked to a few future FO's who recently finished their training in Germany and got employed there as well and they told me they don't know anyone in their Typ-Rating courses or in generell that made their training abroad. I'm sure there's no official requierement that says you have to complete your training in Germany but it worries me that it seems like there are no hired flight studends at German Airlines who made their trianing abroad. Of course I'm not sure if thats the actual case in 100% of the times but there might be a preference.

By theway, I would have no problem at all to be working for a none German Airline or abroad but I'm afraid to limit my options once I've completed the training as I would of course prefer German airlines first.

Does anyone have an answer to my question or personal experiences regarding this topic?

Thank you very much in advance!
Kind regards, marcs001

youngretired
6th Apr 2019, 19:17
Don’t worry about foreign ATOs. Airliners have their own evaluation methods to filter the stream and they do it well. It really doesn’t matter where you got your license for almost (exceptions applies) all airlines.

You should be more worrying about the quality of the training you get. Not the reputation of the ATO but the skills you’ve achieved will let the airliners hire you and if you chose to go modular path, chose your first ATO (where you’ll get your PPL) wisely and try not to go some cheap and (too) fast place.

sekmeth
7th Apr 2019, 07:42
Your chances are good!
im dutch, did my training in the Netherlands, and found myself passing two selections for German airlines (and 1 Austrian with a german base) in 1 month. (Eurowings, Sunexpress and Laudamotion).
I decided for Germanwings (via the Eurowings assessment), many in my class are from foreign FTOs, what we do all have in common is that we did it integrated but that could very well be a coincidence
in the past I also attented the TUI germany selection but I was unsuccessful.
all said, who knows how the situation is in 2/3 years. All I can tell you is that these opportunities all came along in the past 3 years

marcs001
7th Apr 2019, 10:23
Thank you very much for your replies that helps a lot!

So would you say even if I didn't get a job in Germany right away after collecting a decent amount of flight hours and gaining years of experience flying for an airline abroad the chances coming back to a German airline will not depend on the location of the ATO but more on everything that happens after?

Thanks in advance!
marcs001