PDA

View Full Version : Loganair Recruitment Day.

DesertDash
5th Apr 2019, 16:25
Good afternoon everyone.
Does anyone have up-to-date information or personal experience of the format for the Loganair pilot recruitment day, and what to expect for the interview and simulator profile?
Many thanks in advance.

appfo09
5th Apr 2019, 20:24
Hi DesertDash

Could you please specify what exact documents you have submitted in regards to your application. How long did you have to wait until you got an answer from them? For which position are you applying for?

Thank you!

plane-driver
6th Apr 2019, 11:01
Hi DesertDash

Could you please specify what exact documents you have submitted in regards to your application. How long did you have to wait until you got an answer from them? For which position are you applying for?

Thank you!
details on website just cv and cover letter if I remember

Ken Scott
25th May 2019, 18:27
I have an assessment day coming up with Loganair, are there any pilots currently or recently with them who could give me a few details on rosters? Is it mostly day trips returning to base or are there frequent Night stops? What is a typical day like? I'm interested in S340 out of CAX. Any good info please PM.

n.dave
25th May 2019, 21:44
3 to 1: 30-45 minutes interview, about yourself, what you know about the company, how to overcome obstacles, life experiences etc.
2 exam papers. Verbal and numbers. Hard!
SIM assessment around 30 mins. You will be paired up and take turns as PF and PM. More experience pilots, expect engine failures!!! Fun! The SIM is sh1te. We did East mids dav. Eng failure enroute and return back to base.
Paperwork checks from one of the HR.
Sandwiches at the end🥇. They monitor your engagement with future colleagues. Be nice and Smile. 😎
Good luck

James Ken McIntosh
26th May 2019, 00:16
Anyone here attending the recruitment day on the 12th of June?

Meet up and keep contact before then?

Ken Scott
26th May 2019, 12:50
Thanks n Dave. I’ve looked at the sim on Tayside Aviation’s website, it does indeed look a bit Home flight sim. I understand that Loganair don’t have their own training facilities but do the S340 TR in Stockholm.

Burger81
28th May 2019, 07:51
As per above, it’s a very relaxed day. The assessment team are all genuinely nice and friendly guys and do what they can to put you at ease from the start.

The sim there is an Alsim ALX generic TP setup, but there’s no requirement on the day to use the Prop or Fuel levers, only the torque.
I didn't find the sim that bad tbh... I guess it depends what you’re used to, but would certainly recommend getting a few hours in it for some prep beforehand.

Good luck.

PalacePilot
28th May 2019, 15:10
3 to 1: 30-45 minutes interview, about yourself, what you know about the company, how to overcome obstacles, life experiences etc.
2 exam papers. Verbal and numbers. Hard!
SIM assessment around 30 mins. You will be paired up and take turns as PF and PM. More experience pilots, expect engine failures!!! Fun! The SIM is sh1te. We did East mids dav. Eng failure enroute and return back to base.
Paperwork checks from one of the HR.
Sandwiches at the end🥇. They monitor your engagement with future colleagues. Be nice and Smile. 😎
Good luck

Afternoon,

Got an interview in June. Just wondering what the verbal and maths test was like. Could you direct me to what kind of maths they asked so I can prepare.

Thanks

PP

James Ken McIntosh
10th Jun 2019, 20:46
Hello anyone attending the assessment date on the 12th in Dundee?

Ken Scott
12th Jun 2019, 21:21
Any feedback on today?

Ross Andrew
13th Jun 2019, 18:07
Has anyone any further information regarding the Maths and Verbal/English tests? Anything on the types of questions they asked? Were there any tech questions or was it all personal?

Hogos
13th Jun 2019, 23:02
I did the test few months ago, don't worry about the written test, maybe they don't even look at it.
Of course, my advise is try to do your best, but it's not a crucial step for the overall evaluation.

The interview was really nice, the assessors were very nice to talk with, very relaxed and easygoing.

Focus on the sim, that's what i found hard, and the reason why I failed !
I literally went blank, because it's a generic sim, (com / nav boxes are touch screen), and I was facing something new.
I don't want to justify or blame the sim, but being unfamiliar with it, it's increased my workload, deteriorating the overall performance.
Just for example, there were a big difference between QNH and 1013, I got confused for a while about where the STND bottom was located, and I busted the altitude by 500'.
The aircraft is a turboprop, so expect to climb very fast.

Before the departure, the PM should ask for the ATIS and departure clearence, and then PF have to brief the PM.
Expect failures or issues, (just a reason to come back),

Some times the issue is not a very evident event, like for example an engire failure, infact it could be flap not going up, (eg. you activate the switch, but nothing happen), and you should be paying attention to it, they are looking for your situational awareness.

I didn't reckognised it and I exceeded the max flap speed.
So, yes, it was my fault, my performance hasn't been the best one, but also the lack of familiarity of the cockpit / aircraft played a big role.

I hope this can help !
Best luck guys

Ross Andrew
14th Jun 2019, 13:42
Hi Hogos, thanks for your response, sorry to hear you were unsuccessful. I tanked my Flybe interview this week, I was far too negative in the actual interview, said some silly things. I assume you dind't go up to Dundee prior to the assessment for some practice on the Sim?
It doesn't surprise me that the Sim is a little more challenging than normal as the approaches flown will be at smaller airports, lots of proceedural Non-precision I would think. And with smaller aircraft and limited to an extent diversion airports safety is paramount.
I'll make sure I book some hours in Dundee if I'm lucky enough to get an assessment day.

I wouldn't like to completely dismiss the written part, I imagine if they were border line to giving me the job that is something that could sway the tide. Do you remember anything about the written tests? Whats sort of numeracy questions were they? I would imagine reading from performance charts? Working out descent mileage etc?

Hogos
14th Jun 2019, 22:29
Hi Hogos, thanks for your response, sorry to hear you were unsuccessful. I tanked my Flybe interview this week, I was far too negative in the actual interview, said some silly things. I assume you dind't go up to Dundee prior to the assessment for some practice on the Sim?
It doesn't surprise me that the Sim is a little more challenging than normal as the approaches flown will be at smaller airports, lots of proceedural Non-precision I would think. And with smaller aircraft and limited to an extent diversion airports safety is paramount.
I'll make sure I book some hours in Dundee if I'm lucky enough to get an assessment day.

I wouldn't like to completely dismiss the written part, I imagine if they were border line to giving me the job that is something that could sway the tide. Do you remember anything about the written tests? Whats sort of numeracy questions were they? I would imagine reading from performance charts? Working out descent mileage etc?

I remember roughly logic sequences (eg. complete numbers series), images (like the cube unfolded / folded), and math (calculation about proportion, eg.3 guys own an activity, according to this ratio 5:3:2. How much should the first guy receive from the others, in order to have the same share for everyone.)

Do not expect to finish it, it's almost impossible, and I know few guys there, nobody finished it.
So there's no reason to rush, or to be afraid about.

Ross Andrew
15th Jun 2019, 11:58
Ok great, I think I know the sort of thing you are talking about. They do them for aptitude going into Air Traffic, I think they are made so you cant do them all, you are supposed to try and make sure what ones you do you do correctly rather than try and get lots done and make mistakes.

Do you or anyone else have any specifics on the questions they asked at interview? Was there a technical section?

At Flybe they had personal first followed by a short section of tech questions, 4 or 5.
Reading a JEP plate, looking at the go around, anything you would note etc. Essentially briefing that.
They asked what Q stood for in Dash8 Q400, quiet.
What would you look for when trying to fly maximum range, they were looking for minimum drag.
Asked about the engines, who made them, how they work.
Asked about critical engines, how they work, doe sthe Dash 8 have one?

As far as personal went.

Tell me about your flying career to date?
Why Flybe? Why now? Why did you leave your previous position?
Tell me about a time you had to take control in a cockpit?
Tell me about a time you showed good communication in a cockpit?
Tell me about attention to detail in a cockpit?
Tell me about a time you had to make a critical decision in a cockpit?
Tell me about SOP's, why do we have them, can you deviate from them?

Are these the sorts of questions you can expect at Loganair?

James Ken McIntosh
15th Jun 2019, 22:11
Ok great, I think I know the sort of thing you are talking about. They do them for aptitude going into Air Traffic, I think they are made so you cant do them all, you are supposed to try and make sure what ones you do you do correctly rather than try and get lots done and make mistakes.

Do you or anyone else have any specifics on the questions they asked at interview? Was there a technical section?

At Flybe they had personal first followed by a short section of tech questions, 4 or 5.
Reading a JEP plate, looking at the go around, anything you would note etc. Essentially briefing that.
They asked what Q stood for in Dash8 Q400, quiet.
What would you look for when trying to fly maximum range, they were looking for minimum drag.
Asked about the engines, who made them, how they work.
Asked about critical engines, how they work, doe sthe Dash 8 have one?

As far as personal went.

Tell me about your flying career to date?
Why Flybe? Why now? Why did you leave your previous position?
Tell me about a time you had to take control in a cockpit?
Tell me about a time you showed good communication in a cockpit?
Tell me about attention to detail in a cockpit?
Tell me about a time you had to make a critical decision in a cockpit?
Tell me about SOP's, why do we have them, can you deviate from them?

Are these the sorts of questions you can expect at Loganair?

I was a different case, they gave me another chance

what say asked was

what’s the definition of CRM

whats the difference between fatigue and tiredness

Ross Andrew
16th Jun 2019, 11:46
You had a second opportunity with Flybe? Or are those questions that Loganair asked you?

Hogos
16th Jun 2019, 14:30
I got very Hr based questions, about my background, why I want to be a pilot, which characteristics should a pilot have, what would you do if the captain doesn,'t follow the SOP, ecc.

No technical question, nor airplane related. I got only a question asking what do I know about Loganair.
So, go there prepared about a bit of history (Wikipedia).
Be relaxed, they have been very easygoing on the intervew, (we ended up talking about music at the end).

Ross Andrew
16th Jun 2019, 17:41
Awesome Hogos, thanks man

James Ken McIntosh
17th Jun 2019, 11:11
For the ones who already done the assessment

How long did it take for you to find out your result?

James

Hogos
17th Jun 2019, 14:43
For the ones who already done the assessment

How long did it take for you to find out your result?

James

Sorry maybe you sent a PM to me, I always have my mailbox full.
For me it took 10 days

=======================

Until you have a posting history you don't have access to private messaging and adding urls.

James Ken McIntosh
20th Jun 2019, 13:32
If you’ve done APS MCC or an MCC/JOC in a 737 or A320

i suggests doing couple sessions in a generic ALS Simulator

people trip on the usage of the Avionics and layout

thats was my case as PM role where I got confused with the coms/ and setting standards on the Altimeter.

Went blank and lost my SA due to cockpit familiarity.

However the simulator briefing pack is quite vague compared to other Airlines, which doesn’t help.

reccomendation

practice the simulator assesement in that particular type of simulator

Goodluck!

Ross Andrew
21st Jun 2019, 17:50
Did you manage to get any Sim assessment prep in at Dundee before you went?

James Ken McIntosh
21st Jun 2019, 23:22
Nope, I'd maybe ask them if you can do a sim prep there. Would help. I went to CRM, but their set up on a Citation so handles much differently to a king air.

Did you get the job?

Brexoff
21st Feb 2023, 15:50
Anyone got any up to date info?

I’ve been invited for an assessment in Dundee. The email says: Interview, sim assessment and psychometric tests.

No mention of any technical exams etc.

Any help / advice would be greatly appreciated :)

jr6565
21st Feb 2023, 19:24
Would anyone mind sharing how people are getting interviews - speculative emails haven't got me anywhere so far.

Brexoff
21st Feb 2023, 19:37
Would anyone mind sharing how people are getting interviews - speculative emails haven't got me anywhere so far.

I sent a speculative email with a CV attached and got a reply about a week later (Exp FO with a couple of thousand hrs TP)