PDA

View Full Version : Getting a job in Europe

arc698
3rd Apr 2019, 13:04
I'm currently working at a US regional airline, have dual US/Irish citizenship and thinking of converting my license to EASA. I only have ~500 hours of multicrew time, remaining 1400 hours or so all piston. Just wondering if I converted my license to EASA if I'd have any shot at a job in Europe or UK?

DJBowl
4th Apr 2019, 00:10
Yes, most of the Loco would happily take a look at you and most are recruiting. Whats your rating? 320 or 73 would be a massive advantage.

arc698
4th Apr 2019, 01:37
Yes, most of the Loco would happily take a look at you and most are recruiting. Whats your rating? 320 or 73 would be a massive advantage.

Great! Unfortunately my rating is for the Embraer 145 :(

hans brinker
4th Apr 2019, 03:15
I'm currently working at a US regional airline, have dual US/Irish citizenship and thinking of converting my license to EASA. I only have ~500 hours of multicrew time, remaining 1400 hours or so all piston. Just wondering if I converted my license to EASA if I'd have any shot at a job in Europe or UK?

You cannot convert your license, you would have to do the 14 theoretical exams, and your PPL, CPL ME/IR exams. Since you already have practical experience, the theoretical part will be the hardest, and take at least a year of full time study. I did both, but the other direction, started in the EU and now in the USA, if I look at the working conditions in the EU now I am happy I moved here....

boxmover
4th Apr 2019, 09:31

Ask your self why you want to move to Europe, if it’s for strong personal reasons that’s fine. But before starting the process find if you would be better to wait a while and get some command time.

If it’s because life sucks at a US regional stop and think hard.

The US pilot market is hot at the moment and the retirement bulge will keep it decent for quite a few years. In 3 to 5 years you should be able to be in a decent paying long term airline. Most people agree that for well established pilots the US is a better place to work than Europe.

In conclusion think hard and don’t over react to the suckage of life as a regional pilot.

LW20
6th Apr 2019, 22:22
Boxmover is right. The European pilot market is probably the sh.... one in the world. Stay in the US. The future there looks much better than here. A lot of airlines expanded fast, the competition is hard and not so many airlines can call themselves heathy. The bankruptcy of Air Berlin, WOW, Germania, Monarch, BMI, etc. put a lot of pilots on the market. As soon as the oil price will move a little bit up, everything will get much worse.

Council Van
7th Apr 2019, 07:28
If you want to fly in Europe get a job in the USA with UPS and bid to be based permanently in Cologne.

bringbackthe80s
8th Apr 2019, 07:12
If you want to fly in Europe get a job in the USA with UPS and bid to be based permanently in Cologne.

Forget lunch on a San Diego beach, fly night freight in Cologne! What a dream!

-just kidding-