PDA

View Full Version : 1986 (?) B737 severe pitch-up over Los Angeles with two test pilots

Centaurus
2nd Apr 2019, 05:23
Around 1986 there was a close shave over Los Angeles airport where two test pilots flying a Boeing 737 experienced a severe pitch up while approaching to land (?). The pitch up could not be stopped and was so severe that the only way the crew could reduce the effect of the pitch up was to quickly roll the aircraft steeply towards the nearest horizon. Once the nose was lowered by this method, the wings were levelled and the aircraft brought under control.

I believe the aircraft came perilously close to hitting buildings. This recovery from a nose high,wings level, unusual attitude is currently still incorporated in the Boeing 737 Flight Crew Training Manual, Chapter 7 Maneuvers - Upset Recovery.

Despite Googling for details of this incident, none have been successful. Would greatly appreciate if anyone can provide more factual details of this incident. The company I work for in Australia has long since programmed this incident in its Boeing 737 Classic full flight simulator and it is quite dramatic .

Cornish Jack
2nd Apr 2019, 16:22
737 doesn't ring any bells but the 'roll off severe pitch-up' method was used in a Tristar out of one of the US west coast airports around the date quoted. From memory, (NOT the best source, nowadays!) the saga was described in one of the 'Children of the magenta' lecture series from American Airlines. It was widely reported in the aviation media when it occured. Again, from memory, the subject aircraft got rather adjacent to terra firma at one point!!:eek:

megan
3rd Apr 2019, 01:53
This one Centaurus?

https://www.tristar500.net/library/flight1080.pdf

Wander00
3rd Apr 2019, 15:15
Just read through that - WOW! Some piloting

Blossy
3rd Apr 2019, 19:25
Absolutely first rate reasoning. The crew earns my respect.