PDA

View Full Version : SKY News: A WW2 Fighter Jet which was shot down...

rolling20
30th Mar 2019, 15:47
Sky covering the excavation of a Hurricane shot down on 26.8.40 over Fobbing Essex. The title was a WW2 Fighter Jet. Who do they employ to do their research, appalling.

dook
30th Mar 2019, 15:54
They are journos, not known for their knowledge.

India Four Two
30th Mar 2019, 16:30
A Hurricane is similar to a Typhoon, so I can understand the error! :E

treadigraph
30th Mar 2019, 16:41
A Tempest in a teacup...

chevvron
30th Mar 2019, 17:00
I've been watching the bottom line of their news reports on telly; at least one spelling or grammar mistake every day.
In any case, they're all so young they probably never heard of a fighter aircraft with a piston engine.

Allan Lupton
30th Mar 2019, 18:36
It's a lost cause but in journalese we don't have aeroplanes, sometimes abbreviated to 'planes, any more as they are all called jets now.
When I and the jet engine were young even the national newspapers employed aviation people as their Air Correspondents but one would think that such folk were discriminated against these days. I refer to people such as Arthur Narracott and Arthur Reed of the Times and Teddy Donaldson of the Telegraph

treadigraph
30th Mar 2019, 20:40
On-line article (https://news.sky.com/story/amp/hurricane-war-plane-unearthed-near-thames-estuary-11679592) seems rather better...

Allan, I think Bill Waterton wrote for one of papers too after he left Gloster?

VX275
31st Mar 2019, 18:27
They are journos, not known for their knowledge.

The really frightening thing is number of Jurnos who go into politics.

DaveReidUK
31st Mar 2019, 19:52
I think Bill Waterton wrote for one of papers too after he left Gloster?

He was aviation correspondent for the Express until they fired him, allegedly for his constant criticism of the industry.

reynoldsno1
1st Apr 2019, 00:31
I've been watching the bottom line of their news reports on telly; at least one spelling or grammar mistake every day.
Not just Sky News - just about all of the MSM.

megan
1st Apr 2019, 00:41
allegedly for his constant criticism of the industryAs a read of his book "The Quick and the Dead" will attest, and not without good reason it would seem.