PDA

View Full Version : Air Astana

bafanguy
29th Mar 2019, 21:06
Just out of idle curiosity, what's the story about Air Astana as a place for expat pilots to work ? I see very little background info online about them as an employer.

I've observed over a longish time frame that they consistently advertise for pilots. Not sure if this is due to expansion or steady attrition.

What's the deal...bad place to live/work...substandard employer...bad pay ? For an airline that advertises for pilots so consistently, remarkably little is said about them.

safelife
29th Mar 2019, 22:16
The question here is the same as with Korean or Vietnam contracts:
Why not rather fly in China, for more money, and a better rotation?

bafanguy
29th Mar 2019, 22:45
Yet Air Astana continues to operate ? Apparently someone is taking the jobs offered in sufficient numbers to keep the wheels turning. Or is the airline on the verge of shutting down for lack of crews ?

That still doesn't offer information about what the job offered involves.

Just curious...

bafanguy
1st Apr 2019, 14:37
Well, there's this. So they can't be all that short of crews in Kazakhstan at large ?:

FlyArystan Outlines Launch Plans (http://aviationtribune.com/airlines/asia/flyarystan-outlines-launch-plans/)

Nomad2
7th Apr 2019, 10:20
I work there, and it's not so bad, as long as you are ok with the Cold.

Company is solid, and expanding. It's cheap to live here. Pay comes on time.

It's quite a rigid setup, but once you get used to that, and the old Soviet way of doing things, it's ok.

Seems to usually be a three year contract, training standards are quite high.

Expect no weather, no traffic and no RT. It's very quiet.

pm me if you want more info.

bafanguy
7th Apr 2019, 11:00
Nomad2,

Thanks for the info. I'm just curious and not looking for a job (nor is any job looking for me).

I see pretty much continuous ads for pilots from Air Astana. So they're expanding and that's the reason ?

Nomad2
7th Apr 2019, 11:07
I also noted their more or less continuous ads. So, when I needed a job in a hurry, I dropped them a line.

They are one of those airlines that uses a lot of expats. Their locals seem to drift off at a fair rate, so with expats being what they are and expansion underway, their recruiting seems continuous. They also have a very nice ab initio program for locals, that puts 'pay to fly' schemes, as found in Europe, to shame.

Its an interesting place to work, in its own way.

Banana Joe
24th Jun 2019, 10:54
They have just dropped the requirement for NTR FO to just 500 hours on multi-crew aircraft. An option for those that want to transition to the A320.

alfaro
9th Aug 2019, 22:14
Hello how about the conditions for non type fo a320? How much a FO earn per month?
Thanks in advance

Fly221217
20th Aug 2019, 10:27

It's quite a rigid setup, but once you get used to that, and the old Soviet way of doing things, it's ok.

Hi Nomad. Tried to send you a private message but says your inbox is full....I d like to get some info from you as I am in the process with them !

====================================

Until you have a posting history you don't have access to private messaging and adding urls.

jklm05
31st Aug 2019, 04:34
hi all. looking for some info about Air Astana. specifically how the roster is on A320, the base, mostly layovers or turnaround, training and expenses of living in Kazakhstan. would appreciate feedback here or please pm me. thanks.

Flyer4040
13th Oct 2019, 15:00
hi all. looking for some info about Air Astana. specifically how the roster is on A320, the base, mostly layovers or turnaround, training and expenses of living in Kazakhstan. would appreciate feedback here or please pm me. thanks.
I’m in the same boat, also,I was wondering if anyone has recently gone to the screening with air Astana as a FO on A320.

thanks

CaptainGrizzly
21st Oct 2019, 08:06
Hey Nomad2, trying to PM you, your inbox is full.

manolotelo
29th Oct 2019, 11:34
Hey guys,

I´m going for interview in Nov on 4/5 any tips or where I should focus my studies, what kind of questions/Sim sessions !?? please :)
I´m TRA320 650h/900tt

thank in advance,

Telo

manolotelo
29th Oct 2019, 18:27
will have my interview with air astana in Nov and want o know what I can aspect from theme , if not asking to much :)

If you an describe by phases would be great.

Thank in advance

Telo[

aBlon
29th Oct 2019, 22:54
Guys as far as i know from italian and greek friends working there, it used to be a nice working environment + there are a lot of europeans to hang out with in case locals don't match your cultural perception.

Stabilized_Approach
30th Oct 2019, 20:49
Guys as far as i know from italian and greek friends working there, it used to be a nice working environment + there are a lot of europeans to hang out with in case locals don't match your cultural perception.
can anyone shed some light on captains pay and benifits and the roster

Nomad2
2nd Nov 2019, 07:36
Typically 7500 euros per month, with a 30,000 euro bonus after three years.

Yayo
4th Nov 2019, 13:43
Hey guys,

I´m going for interview in Nov on 4/5 any tips or where I should focus my studies, what kind of questions/Sim sessions !?? please :)
I´m TRA320 650h/900tt

thank in advance,

Telo

Hi Telo! How did it go today? I'm going to AMS this week too and I also find it hard to find any feedback... pls DM if you can

CW247
7th Nov 2019, 09:45
Did someone say the pay is €7,500 per month? Thats paying less than all the Eastern European charter companies

Nomad2
7th Nov 2019, 14:25
The pay is around 7500 euro/month.
They also give around 500US per month for accommodation.
You can add about 1000 euro/ month to that, if you complete three years, so call it more like 8500 euro/ month.
In fairness, it's not the best paid job, but it's very cheap to live here, and there's no tax. I've never saved so much!
In truth, it's not for everyone, but it's got its own good points.
Must say that there are quite a lot of expats, and mostly quite happy.

john34000
7th Nov 2019, 19:19
Hey guys,

I´m TRA320 650h/900tt

thank in advance,

Telo

Hello Telo,

How was the interview, I’m going on interview the 14th of November and I’d like to know what should I study more for the assessment.
How was it ?
You can DM me .

John

=========================

Until you have a posting history you don't have access to private messaging and adding urls.

4runner
8th Nov 2019, 16:39
The pay is around 7500 euro/month.
They also give around 500US per month for accommodation.
You can add about 1000 euro/ month to that, if you complete three years, so call it more like 8500 euro/ month.
In fairness, it's not the best paid job, but it's very cheap to live here, and there's no tax. I've never saved so much!
In truth, it's not for everyone, but it's got its own good points.
Must say that there are quite a lot of expats, and mostly quite happy.

for a Captain?????

CW247
8th Nov 2019, 22:28
No wonder they are ALWAYS recruiting. You probably can live like a king on 7.5k in Kazakhstan but you're an expat who most likely has bills, commitments and taxes to pay at home. And traditionally they always wanted high PIC time too :ugh:

Nomad2
9th Nov 2019, 07:12
To be fair, if you live somewhere expensive, the money probably isn't enough to tempt you.
If you live here though, it's plenty!
And yes, 7500/ month is for a captain.

Uberkoberking
9th Nov 2019, 12:26
what about first officers?

Nomad2
9th Nov 2019, 16:57
I think around 5,500 for expat FO. Best check with the company.

For anyone interested, who's going through an agency, it might pay to shop around. I've seen my own job advertised for the same salary, but only 50% of the end of contract bonus.

MADMAX190
9th Nov 2019, 21:16
Hi all.
Little review of my time at Air Astana for you. I've been meaning to write this ever since I left 2 years ago.

The good, the okay, the bad.
The good:
Money - even though most of the expats at AA will complain about the pay, it's actually not bad; €5500 for an FO, €7500 for a captain. They'll pay 200000 local (about €500) for your accommodation. Contrary to popular belief, you CAN find accommodation for this in Astana, but it may not be in the best area. 250000-300000 will get you something nice in the centre of town, and I'd recommend spending a little of your own money to do this. All across the former soviet union, your bills, including utilities, internet and television, as usually included in the price of the rent. Apartments are generally furnished.

Air Astana have recently introduced the option of taking a €250 travel allowance instead of using their transport, this will easily cover taxis to and from work. At the Astana base, this is an excellent development, one I wish they had when I was there. There is a complicated system for leaving work via the Air Astana transport, you often wait a long time, which can result in a 2 hour commute for a journey which should take no more than 45 minutes. I have been told that this system has become even worse in recent times, so no doubt this travel allowance option is appreciated by my former colleagues.

What the above boils down to, Kazakhstan is a cheap country, a beer will cost you about $1. You can save a lot of money there.

Commuting roster: 6 weeks one, 2 weeks off. They stick to this pretty reliably. I was asked to change my off weeks a few times, but usually it wouldn't be a problem. They give you flights anywhere in their network plus a travel allowance of €250. I got business class on their flight 95% of the time, and then used myidtravel to get home from there.

They TRY to roster you for a flight the day before your "COFF" weeks, that will finish in the early afternoon, allowing you to commute out in the evening the day before, but this doesn't always happen. They won't give any allowances for coming home, you really need to arrive back the afternoon/evening before.

I will say, I think this job is more suitable to Europeans rather than Americans, Australians, Kiwis etc, just due to the commute time, That said, at least 50% of the expats are from South America, and they make it work.
Final note on commuting, it can be 6 weeks on, 3 weeks off, however this is not offered until you've been at the company for 5 years, and comes with a modest pay cut.

Maintenance: the aircraft are very well maintained, I never saw anyone grumble at a captain writing something up, most things are fixed promptly. It's rare to see MELs on an aircraft for more than a few days.

The okay:
Flying/rosters: you're going to fly alot! 80-100 hours per month, and most of that will be at night. If you're a night owl like me, this is good, if not, this is bad.
The various fleets do different types of flying. I think Embraer guys are often "home" most nights (days). Airbus away a little more. Boeing will have multiple days off on layovers... Air Astana count these days free of duty at outports as days off (more on this in the bad section later), Fine if you're single, or your family are in your home country, but not so good if you have moved your family to Kazakhstan.

Base: Astana: no, you 95% will not get Almaty, which is a shame, because Almaty is a nice city with lots of outdoorsy type stuff to do such as skiing and hiking. It also has a more agreeable climate, hot summers, and mild (compared to Astana) winters. Astana is a bit of a weird city. It's much more expensive than Alamty, and there isn't much to do there to be honest. However, it's modern, there are decent shopping malls, world class food (however service is generally bad), an okay bar scene, and comfortable modern accommodation.

As the second coldest capital city in the world, Temperatures regularly fall below - 30°C in winter and it's not unusual to see temperatures below -40°C (-50°F). There isn't much of a summer. It's very short, and temperatures top out at around +30°C, and this is rare. More typical is temperatures in the low to mid 20s. By late September it's not unusual to see temperatures back below freezing.

However, it is often sunny, even if it is cold.

People & Kazakh Culture:
Kazakh people are generally very nice once you get to know them, for example; my landlady was always very kind to me, often offering me cake or fruits whenever I'd see her, and always fixing things on time.

However, if you're a westerner or Latino, you'll notice that they seem rude and cold. I am told that this is an old soviet culture, where they focused on their own family, and didn't care about unknown people. This might sound normal, but it translates to not offering up the daily "pleasantries" you often see elsewhere. They won't hold a door open for you, won't thank you if you do for them, won't apologise if they bump into you or push pass you, and the cashier won't ask how you are.

On the plus side, you don't have to do any of those things either, and noone will think twice.

The level of English is not good. Outside of Air Astana itself, it's quite rare to meet someone with more than a beginner level of English. If you learn some words in Russian, or better yet, Kazakh, they will appreciate it, and sometimes even crack a smile. You can get by with only English, but a basic grasp of Russian will really improve you experience in Kazakhstan.

Whilst the religion of Kazakhstan is predominantly Muslim, you won't notice it, even during Ramadan. 27% of the population is Orthodox Christian or other, as such, pork products are not difficult to find, and Alcohol flows freely (what would a Russian speaking country be without Vodka!?!).

The Bad:
People and Culture:

I put this in the okay category as well because, outside of work, this isn't really a problem. At work...it takes some time to adapt to. The local managers, and the older local pilots, are old school to say the least! It's not unusual to receive a military style lecture for taking a command decision which your base captain/fleet manager/chief pilot doesn't agree with.

FOQA (Data monitoring), is very much used as a blame tool. You'll get phone calls and have meetings about any minor deviation from SOP. Most of the local pilots (and half the expats), are paranoid about this, and you'll notice it when you fly with them, which can become tiresome even if they are well intentioned. I'll say this, no matter how good of a pilot you are, how careful you are, you will have such meetings and phone calls to deal with during your time at Air Astana.
I think the company is trying to change this, they do CRM courses, and their manuals talk about a "Just Culture", they just haven't quite figured out what it is yet. As mentioned elsewhere on this forum, it is somewhat of a blame culture.

I believe it isn't as extreme as places like China, but Air Astana seem to think that because they are paying you, they own you, you shouldn't speak up, just do as you're told.

Rostering "quirks":
As mentioned above, days off down route are counted towards your minimum 7 days off per month (you'll never get more than this minimum). For example, you fly to Moscow, arrive at 22:30, next day is off, and you depart at 04:30 the following morning. Now you have only 6 days off remaining for that month whilst back in Astana.

Air Astana also count your 2 weeks off towards your monthly days off. This can result in you only having 2 days off for the month. For example: you have the 1st of the month off, fly until the 7th, then from the 8th - 21st you have your 2 weeks off (Contract off or COFF), you then fly from the 22nd until the 27th, have 1 day off, and fly again until the end of the month.

There is no bid system. No way of requesting specific days off, and should you try to make requests, they are almost always met with the answer "sorry, it is not possible to give requested days off". However, when the shoe is on the other foot, and Air Astana want you to change your roster, it is all but mandatory to comply...On this, don't think that you'll get something in return for helping the company out...you won't no matter how many times you do it (this problem is worldwide, not only Air Astana).

Check and training:
It's unbelievably nitpicky. There is no such thing as a good check. Debriefs are usually a lengthy critique on what a terrible pilot you are, before finally telling you that you have passed. Enough said.

First officers:I'll spell this out for FOs thinking of joining Air Astana...Don't. You won't be respected, you won't be upgraded, You will become frustrated, you will leave.
DO NOT COME TO AIR ASTANA AS AN FO! (or any other contract job in Asia for that matter).

Of all the expat FOs I knew at Air Astana, Most are still FOs or have left. This is despite advertisements of "Command upgrade opportunity in 6 months". I have NEVER heard of anyone, local or expat, getting command anywhere near this fast. I only knew of a few expats who had upgraded from FO, they all took years to upgrade. From what I am told, the upgrade process is something similar to what I imagine the selection process for NASA must be. The level of knowledge asked of you is vast (far higher than ANY line captain would have). Many fail more than once before getting through...this after waiting years to get the opportunity in the first place. Do yourself a favour...stay where you are, upgrade, then think about Air Astana once you're a captain in your home country.

There are plenty of other nitpicks but I have tried to stick to the main points, perhaps others would like to add to my list!?

Summary:

Air Astana aren't too bad as far as contracts go. The quality of life is probably better than places such as Dubai, India, or China. Generally speaking they honour the contract, they always pay on time, you get your time off, etc.

Like anywhere, you'll fly with some great people, both pilots and cabin crew. The expat pilot community is welcoming and help each other out.

Looking back on it, it was good to experience, but I don't think I'd go back.

I don't think I'd recommend it to English speaking Westerners, or Western Europeans. If you've got used to the way it's done in those countries, Air Astana will come as a backwards shock.

As always, the above is only based on my experience, and the ones I directly observed from my colleagues. Your experience may be different.

Safe Skies and good luck to you all

Nomad2
10th Nov 2019, 13:21
MADMAX190
Thanks for adding your most eloquent and comprehensive post on AA.

As a current 190 guy, I endorse it completely. I must have joined just as you were leaving. In particular, your advice about expat FOs should be respected.

I've not heard about the 250 euro alternative to the dreadful transport. I'll check it out, but I don't think this caught on.

Also, your 250 Euro travel allowance is 125 for me....it pays to check the t & c's that YOU are offered very carefully.

Really useful post!👍

MADMAX190
10th Nov 2019, 16:16
I've not heard about the 250 euro alternative to the dreadful transport. I'll check it out, but I don't think this caught on.

I saw this on one of the contracting websites. I forget which one, CAE, Sigma, Direct etc.
From what I've heard about things are being done out of the hangar now, it's even worse than when I was there (I didn't know that could be possible!). Hence a travel allowance, just get in a taxi and go home... Much better.

Try not to freeze out there my friend! And stay out of the way of uncle S...

MonarchOrBust
11th Nov 2019, 03:56
7,500EUR. Must be full of tax dodgers to make that worthwhile. Sorry.....I'll be quiet.

MADMAX190
11th Nov 2019, 04:22
Well most counties don't tax their citizens on foreign income. You pay Kazakh tax but those figures are net of tax.

MonarchOrBust
13th Nov 2019, 00:11
Lol. Sorry that's wrong. Most countries absolutely do and for sure almost every single one in Europe. Unless you are non tax resident in your home country, you still have to pay tax in your home country if the amount you have been taxed in Kazakhstan is below your normal rate in your home country. In Kazakhstan there is a 10% flat rate of tax on income. Therefore you still owe 15-35% tax on top of that depending on your citizenship and tax resident status. Is that a revelation?

MADMAX190
13th Nov 2019, 03:11
Lol. Sorry that's wrong. Most countries absolutely do and for sure almost every single one in Europe. Unless you are non tax resident in your home country, you still have to pay tax in your home country if the amount you have been taxed in Kazakhstan is below your normal rate in your home country. In Kazakhstan there is a 10% flat rate of tax on income. Therefore you still owe 15-35% tax on top of that depending on your citizenship and tax resident status. Is that a revelation?

Lol... Well, If you're unfortunate enough to be from a country that considers a maximum of 84 days "in country" makes you a tax resident, then you're right. In mine (European country) you need to live there for 6 months of the year to be a tax resident. This is true of many of the EU countries, not sure which European countries you were referring to? Is that a revelation?

​​​

Nomad2
13th Nov 2019, 13:07
Monarch or Bust
(I guess that'll be 'bust' then! ;-) )
I think it's only Uncle Sam that insists on its expats paying 'home' tax on foreign earnings.

I'm not a tax dodger.

In my home country, as long as you don't spend more than 90 days there, work full time abroad, and don't spend more than 30 days at a time at home, you are not elegible to pay tax. It's called being an expat.

Only an idiot would pay tax if they can legally avoid doing so.

One of the the best things about being an expat, is becoming a non-taxpayer at home.
It makes me happy every morning when I wake up!

bafanguy
22nd Nov 2019, 09:34
FYI from interview with CEO:

As for the numbers of available professional personnel, is the company suffering from a shortage of pilots and from difficulties with their training?

"The lack of commercial airline pilots is a widespread problem. We have our own Ab-initio pilot training programme, where we have trained about 300 pilots since 2009. We support it, pay for it and it is entirely an internal initiative. But, of course, attracting the required number of pilots remains a challenge."

Interview: Peter Foster, president and chief executive of Air Astana (http://www.rusaviainsider.com/interview-peter-foster-president-chief-executive-air-astana/)

Falcon0001
7th Dec 2019, 20:28
Taxation.

Taxation issues between countries are treated via Taxation Treaties. Most countries have treaties between themselves. This is to avoid double taxation.

The only exceptions are countries where there is no income tax, i.e U.A.E., Saudi Arabia, ect...

You can google most of these taxation treaties using the names of the countries involved. Most of the treaties are copy and paste of each other. Look for the Section titled Dependent Income. It is usually Clause 15 or 17 of the treaties.

Hope this help.

Winglight
18th Jan 2020, 18:12
Well, currently Air Astana has only about 32 airplanes including the new low cost part. According their business plan they wanted to have already 44 aircraft.
Captains and First Officers are flying max duty time and there is no stand by anymore but actually they don’t need as many pilots probably or it’s just it fill the places for leaving pilots and that’s a lot.
Last summer about 20-30 local first officer were leaving.
Some new guys without experience joining now but things take time and organization is poor.
i can’t suggest to fly there, as said earlier in one post, the good days are gone. Now it’s just punish and blame....

Mehul Chauhan
20th Feb 2020, 14:53
Hi i am. Joining air astana as first officer. Can u share the assessment details with me specially psychology written technical and sim assessment.

MADMAX190
20th Feb 2020, 18:13
Hi i am. Joining air astana as first officer. Can u share the assessment details with me specially psychology written technical and sim assessment.
As I said in my long review of Air Astana.
If you have any intention of upgrading DO NOT GO TO AIR ASTANA. They almost never upgrade expats, and when I say almost never, I know of 2 who managed to upgrade and only met one of those 2 personally.
However, if you are intent on applying despite this... The sim accessment itself is pretty straight forward. Engine failure at V1, One engine approach. Some dual engine manoeuvres like steep turns. Not difficult.
They'll ask you some pretty deep systems questions in the pre brief. Essentially go through the flight manual of your type and memorise ANY and ALL numbers. Not just limits and memory items. They'll ask numbers like HYD temps and pressures etc.
This study technique is also what will be required to pass their recurrent sim checks once you're in.
Oh, and this is for type rated, is non type rated, I know it's different but not sure the process.
PM me if you want more info.

Mehul Chauhan
20th Feb 2020, 19:35
Thanks so much sir for the update...
I I know I'm asking a lot but can you please throw some light and give me a detailed explanation if I may ask about Landing the first time in air astana for my sim assessment up to getting line released presently I am a senior first officer on the Airbus A320 I have 4000 flying hours and on type I have 2,000
Apologies if I have asked too much from you but your kind words will definitely help me in preparing myself mentally it will give me a broader picture
As I said in my long review of Air Astana.
If you have any intention of upgrading DO NOT GO TO AIR ASTANA. They almost never upgrade expats, and when I say almost never, I know of 2 who managed to upgrade and only met one of those 2 personally.
However, if you are intent on applying despite this... The sim accessment itself is pretty straight forward. Engine failure at V1, One engine approach. Some dual engine manoeuvres like steep turns. Not difficult.
They'll ask you some pretty deep systems questions in the pre brief. Essentially go through the flight manual of your type and memorise ANY and ALL numbers. Not just limits and memory items. They'll ask numbers like HYD temps and pressures etc.
This study technique is also what will be required to pass their recurrent sim checks once you're in.
Oh, and this is for type rated, is non type rated, I know it's different but not sure the process.
PM me if you want more info.

Bloated Stomach
25th Feb 2020, 22:46
I'm an Embraer rated FO and have an upcoming assessment with Air Astana in Amsterdam. Any tips for the assessment days? Private messages welcome.

Thanks

4M Pilot
15th Jul 2020, 21:22
Hi,
would you mind send me more information about them?
My e-mail is [email protected]
Thanks in advance!

cjpilot350
26th Jul 2021, 13:31
Hi Nomad,

I have received a reply from Air Astana to my application and was wondering if you have any information on the interview and what questions are asked?

Many thanks!

Lucifer786
27th Jul 2021, 09:12
Hi Nomad,

I have received a reply from Air Astana to my application and was wondering if you have any information on the interview and what questions are asked?

Many thanks!
What fleet are they looking for ? And I thought there was a citizenship restriction no

Scagrams
13th Sep 2021, 17:24
Hello guys,
does anyone have a rough idea of what kind of conditions they offer now? I heard it's local contract only at the moment.
Thanks!

cjpilot350
13th Sep 2021, 18:06
Hi There! I have an interview for a DEC A320 position in a few days & was also wondering what the local contract terms are?

Also any heads up on the interview content. & format would be greatly appreciated.

Mhelmyk
18th Sep 2021, 02:26
congrats cjpilot350 . I wish you all the very best.

May I know, how long is the waiting time from the application date to your interview date? thanks:ok:

cjpilot350
18th Sep 2021, 14:08
Hi There! I think fm application to hearing back fm Air Astana was a turn around time of around 6-8 weeks.

Gigi777
27th Sep 2021, 07:26
cjpilot350, I'm going to the interview too. I sent you a private message.

Lets get in touch.

---------------------------------------------

Until you have a posting history you don't have access to private messaging and adding urls. Put in an email address if you want any rapid effective response.

Flyboy_SG
3rd Oct 2021, 05:17
Must be a scam !

jadrolinija
3rd Oct 2021, 06:58
Not a scam, 3 days off in a row maximum per month, captain salary is 5500eur with all in... Not commuting job and accomodation is not provided..

desertcamel
4th Oct 2021, 08:29
Hi Jadrolinija, im guessing you fly for air astana. Do the pilots cross operates between Air Astana and their low cost Flyarystan?

Andranik974
7th Oct 2021, 16:16
Gigi777, May I know when is your screening or if you have already passed it. I am scheduled on 11 and 12 OCT.

arekpil2
7th Oct 2021, 18:29
Hi All ,
I have a screening 28-29 October in Amsterdam , could You share all topics regarding Interview and CCP test with sim please.
all the best !!!
[email protected]

pfvspnf
9th Oct 2021, 02:09
people are enjoying the extra curricular over here.

3cy3D
11th Oct 2021, 10:32
Hi guys I’m wondering about FO salary, any info about salary?

e.dogic
11th Oct 2021, 11:35
Hi all,
I have assessment coming on 29-30th Oct, DEC A320. I would very much appreciate if anyone who has attended the assessment can share any info about the process.
My email is: [email protected]
Many thanks and best regards !

cosmiccomet
11th Oct 2021, 23:01
Hi all,
I have an assessment coming on 29-30th Oct, DEC A320. I would very much appreciate it if anyone who has attended the assessment can share any info about the process.
My email is: [email protected]
Many thanks and best regards!
Me too, I have an invitation for the assessment on 28-29th, DEC.
I would appreciate it if somebody who already did it share some information.
[email protected]

Cheers!!!

cricus
25th Oct 2021, 22:37
Hi 4M Pilot, I',m Cricu! Looking for a job?

cosmiccomet
26th Oct 2021, 04:41
Hi 4M Pilot, I',m Cricu! Looking for a job?
Far away home!!! Nî hâo Cricu.

3cy3D
4th Nov 2021, 04:53
Hi guys, any update on salary and selection process?

cosmiccomet
4th Nov 2021, 08:39
Very good experience. I would give a chance to Air Astana anytime.

Nightstop
5th Jan 2022, 17:00
How’s it going there? Just read about the LPG fuel price riots. Peter Griffiths OK? I understand Internet has been shut down, so no reply expected anytime soon. Good luck Expats.

BAe 146-100
6th Jan 2022, 23:31
How’s it going there? Just read about the LPG fuel price riots. Peter Griffiths OK? I understand Internet has been shut down, so no reply expected anytime soon. Good luck Expats.

Don't expect a reply from these jokers anyway, everyone fails selection That’s after their compass testing and 1 hour interview about how you would cope living in bases in the middle of nowhere.

Bloated Stomach
24th Jan 2022, 15:22
Anyone have some latest information on the assessment process? Preferably Embraer crew.

estigma81
14th Feb 2022, 17:07
no one is able to share info of the assessment???
Cmon guys...
Lets make this ****ty covid times a bit more easier for those unemployed....

kg737
7th Mar 2022, 19:59
13000+ hrs ex 737& 330 capt here.
What are the ac in their fleet?
Where is the training done?
Do they hire non type rated - n then bond them?
In need of a job, 2 years almost out of pay....running low on reserves. Any help appreciated.

Cupcakecartel
11th Mar 2022, 12:34
Sent ya an email, [email protected] just in case went to your spam cheers!

Andreslo752
1st Apr 2022, 15:31
Me too, I have an invitation for the assessment on 28-29th, DEC.
I would appreciate it if somebody who already did it share some information.
[email protected]

Cheers!!!

Hello greetings I have confirmed asessmen but I don't have a date, someone could give me information to prepare myself thank you I just know it will be soon what page to study from

Tarishvin87
14th Apr 2022, 15:22
Hey guys , appreciate to those who has information on the assessments for Air Astana . Please email me at [email protected] and appreciate the help 🙏👍

BAe 146-100
15th Apr 2022, 13:27
They do constant screenings, unfriendly people like robots during the screening process - generally feels like a waste of your and their time, high fail rate. You may have a chance if you come from a so called high standard airline to work in the middle of nowhere in KZ…….

The Flying Possum
15th Apr 2022, 17:31
Disclaimer: I went there with an open mind and no expectations.

So this is the latest update, will keep it short and sweet.

High fail rate is confirmed, no one from the latest one passed.

Clearly is some show they are running for their management for them to see they go out and seek (imagine they get to go out for 2 weeks time, get meals and accommodation paid, and they don't really hire anyone)

What's the package you may ask? (skipper position) Around 5k USD basic, nothing else included, hourly rate is 15 usd and 20 usd above 85 hour. Yes you read it right, I think is around the same rate for a real bus driver.

Interview ain't even hard, except the COMPASS math portion where is really important for you to be able to know how to clear 4x+26=21y and know the value of y, I guess 21 wasn't the correct answer.

Sim aint an issue, the tech interview aint an issue, and the panel interview either....from 10 you fail 10? This is two latest batches.

Rest my case, don't really bother wasting your money traveling to IST if you are next for that one. Unless money ain't an issue and you are willing to spend 1.5k/2k USD on airfare and you want to play with the simulator for a while, then by all means go ahead, you will get at least 2-3 days free accommodation from them, and a fake smile with a fake speech, which will make you feel warm butterflies in you tummy, and think this is it!

Oh yeah forgot to mention, the TRI kid has 1.5 hours as a Captain, and 4k total experience, and he will try to roast you. A 29 years old and in charge of deciding who gets it or who doesn't, which clearly no one was good enough.

So as General Akbar used to say....IT'S A TRAP!!

BAe 146-100
16th Apr 2022, 16:47
⬆️

Completely 100% true, that was the general consensus on the day. A bit of a paid holiday for the recruitment team out of KZ , they make it known to you that they definitely need pilots and if you do good in the sim they will take you….

Unless you want a free sim, but actually depending on where your flying in from its not actually free because they don’t pay the ticket - then go. But the screening is so easy apart from the compass, the sim profile is literally entry level which obviously when your being told before the sim if your sim is good we will take you its quite easy to figure out the whole process is bs and just a time wasting exercise.

i guess after they fail most groups, they then report back to the hr team in Astana that the people weren’t good enough this time round and once again they go out back on the road for another lot of assessments…

Also it usually takes around a month or longer for your result to come too…, avoid

Flaperon777
16th Apr 2022, 23:21
By what I read they are only looking for first officers at present and that too khazak citizens only. Correct me if I’m wrong please.

Bloated Stomach
30th Apr 2022, 18:30
A well organised assessment day which is conducted fairly. I can’t comment on the previous opinions but I have found the assessors very professional. The standards required are high and if you meet them, you’ll be offered a job. Good luck.

BAe 146-100
1st May 2022, 10:02
There’s a difference between high standards and unrealistic standards, they seem to expect the world when the majority of guys who turn up haven flown for the best part of 18/24 months. No doubt it was professional and well organised, but for the majority of guys who turn up it will be a waste of time due to the high failure rate, so unless your mr super pilot if you have other options the whole thing is pretty pointless.

ia1166
1st May 2022, 12:32
There’s a difference between high standards and unrealistic standards, they seem to expect the world when the majority of guys who turn up haven flown for the best part of 18/24 months. No doubt it was professional and well organised, but for the majority of guys who turn up it will be a waste of time due to the high failure rate, so unless your mr super pilot if you have other options the whole thing is pretty pointless.

Or maybe they can cherry pick the best pilots, because the recruitment pool is overflowing

Recruiters have been under pressure to employ pilots pre covid, but now not so much. Standards have been raised.

The Flying Possum
1st May 2022, 12:34
I had to bite my tongue to even reply to the previous message, "if you meet the standards" and "good luck"? Good luck is for unprepared people, to leave it to the odds.

As you mentioned, no one said that it wasn't professional or well organized.

"Cant comment on the previous opinions" Yes you can, we commented what the interview was all about, which he is not sharing.

BAe, I don't think is about being super pilot at all, or even the 18/24 months gap, there was TRI guys, with lots of hours and years of experience, even with a gap, those guys are golden.

As we mentioned before, the interview ain't even hard.

You ran an interview where there was a total experience of more than 90k hours combined, between guys with a gap and no gap of flying and still not good enough? I don't buy it, sorry.

BAe 146-100
1st May 2022, 20:45
You ran an interview where there was a total experience of more than 90k hours combined, between guys with a gap and no gap of flying and still not good enough? I don't buy it, sorry.

This playing with experienced pilots will come to haunt them in the future when they actually need people because the guys you treated like they weren’t worthy would have found better jobs and won’t consider your random KZ bases, local currency payments anyway!! Good luck to them rather …..

ia1166
1st May 2022, 23:22
This playing with experienced pilots will come to haunt them in the future when they actually need people because the guys you treated like they weren’t worthy would have found better jobs and won’t consider your random KZ bases, local currency payments anyway!! Good luck to them rather …..

If by experience you mean hours, it doesn’t equate to a good pilot demonstrating his ability in a sim session. I’ve seen plenty of high hours pilots and it doesn’t make you a good pilot. And there are plenty of pilots with inflated hours in their log books out there.

The recruitment pool is full of pilots, so they can cherry pick. Times have changed

Bloated Stomach
2nd May 2022, 10:08
Like any airline, Air Astana need to see a certain standard. Having thousands of hours does not automatically entitle you to a job. You could have development areas in your CRM or your general handling skill. As part of the presentation, you are told about the areas that are assessed and these combined can paint a picture on an individual’s ability. I agree that being away from an aircraft for 18 months to 2 years is going to fade skills. But as a business, an airline is looking for candidates who can complete an OPC at their standards in minimal time. Unfortunately, Pilots have not invested in their time during the pandemic. There have clearly been a diminished set of technical and non technical skills.

High failure rates are being reported in various airline assessments. I don’t believe any airline invest in assessment days to purposely fail people. Anyone inclined to believe this is clearly bringing emotions rather than logic.

BAe 146-100
2nd May 2022, 11:02
High failure rates are being reported in various airline assessments. I don’t believe any airline invest in assessment days to purposely fail people. Anyone inclined to believe this is clearly bringing emotions rather than logic.

Its supply and demand, and it has to be expected when you have a surplus of pilots on the market currently. The whole point that we are trying to make is Air astana do constant screenings, your not telling me that no one is good enough or sometimes no one passes that week? How many pilots do they actually need versus the quality of people they are failing is something we do not know, all I can say is what i saw on the day is very similar to The Flying Possum

Atrboeingairbus
2nd May 2022, 15:01
Does anyone have an idea of salaries for the Airbus fleet? Hours per month?

Thanks in advance.

BAe 146-100
2nd May 2022, 20:42
Does anyone have an idea of salaries for the Airbus fleet? Hours per month?

Thanks in advance.

They should give you the salary scale if you ask the HR girl, they are very quick to email you back and respond to any questions before the screening, only when you finish you will be waiting for a month or longer with no contact to see if you were lucky to be “good” enough for them…

ia1166
2nd May 2022, 23:45
I doubt its lucky to be good enough. More depends on your previous experience.

And by that i don’t mean hours, more your previous employment.

BAe 146-100
3rd May 2022, 00:03
I doubt its lucky to be good enough. More depends on your previous experience.

And by that i don’t mean hours, more your previous employment.

So that backs up what I'm saying, why invite said people in big numbers only
to fail them based on said experience/employment in combination with a fairly straightforward screening? My guess is just to make up the numbers for the hr departments world tour.

ia1166
3rd May 2022, 08:23
To see you in the sim.

Not all 10k hour captains are the same. P2f LCC guys may not be the same as ex Dragon Air.

BAe 146-100
3rd May 2022, 08:42
And vice versa, I heard a whole bunch of ex VNA stay at home pilots weren’t good enough either….

The Flying Possum
3rd May 2022, 15:17
Scroll up, I already put how it goes and how much they pay.

The Flying Possum
3rd May 2022, 15:31
Making rough numbers of their fleet to what they actually have in house of manpower doesn't make any sense. Now, once again the sim session is peanuts,

One HYD sys overheat? for a session?

Next session

Engine stall, no need to even shut it down....

Now a year ago, a person that they grabbed and joined was done via Skype interview, no COMPASS test...low hours, so ia1166 is this the selection we are talking about? Yes I agree that someone with 25k hours doesn't mean you are a great pilot, we all know that, but for that you have a career behind you, and no not everyone let their skills fade away, some they kept current, some they kept going to their sim every 6 month and doing their homework.

I say everything has been covered in the post and we should leave it at this. The fact is, if someone had posted how it is, I wouldn't have spent a freaking penny flying to them to do an interview where I was certain and confident enough to know I could go through this "selection" non made it, and non has made for the past weeks, That is the fact. This aint a hard assessment, besides the math part of the compass, and even someone that said that was easy for him (if its true) didn't even make it either.

BAE and I put the warnings here of investing on going for an interview, in this time, not everyone can just throw away 2k USD in airfare thinking they wont be able to make it. If I have read all of this before, trust me I wouldn't have bothered at all. But yeah ia1166, sending a 29 year old kid with 4k hours to make a selection of pilots says a lot.

ia1166
4th May 2022, 12:02
Making rough numbers of their fleet to what they actually have in house of manpower doesn't make any sense. Now, once again the sim session is peanuts,

One HYD sys overheat? for a session?

Next session

Engine stall, no need to even shut it down....

Now a year ago, a person that they grabbed and joined was done via Skype interview, no COMPASS test...low hours, so ia1166 is this the selection we are talking about? Yes I agree that someone with 25k hours doesn't mean you are a great pilot, we all know that, but for that you have a career behind you, and no not everyone let their skills fade away, some they kept current, some they kept going to their sim every 6 month and doing their homework.

I say everything has been covered in the post and we should leave it at this. The fact is, if someone had posted how it is, I wouldn't have spent a freaking penny flying to them to do an interview where I was certain and confident enough to know I could go through this "selection" non made it, and non has made for the past weeks, That is the fact. This aint a hard assessment, besides the math part of the compass, and even someone that said that was easy for him (if its true) didn't even make it either.

BAE and I put the warnings here of investing on going for an interview, in this time, not everyone can just throw away 2k USD in airfare thinking they wont be able to make it. If I have read all of this before, trust me I wouldn't have bothered at all. But yeah ia1166, sending a 29 year old kid with 4k hours to make a selection of pilots says a lot.

funny you should mention engine stall. I presume at take off? Its one of the most resit procedures that I know. You may think you did ok but i suspect on my experience this is generally poorly handled. Its a good sim assessment abnormal. As is simple HYD abnormals, RNP approaches OEI, Certainly if I was planning a sim assessment Eng Stall at rotate would be high on my list. Sort the wheat from the chaff so to speak.

How do you know how other peoples sim went? You weren’t there. Mostly I have never seen a pilot accurately describe his own sim check. The assessment is made from the back, not the front. A 29 yr old with 4000 hours? Who knows. I would have to see him in the sim. I wouldn’t be surprised that a pilot could be more than capable at this level, if he was trained properly from the start.

I could tell you some things I have seen from guys with 10K hours that would shock you. As I have seen some 1000 FOs who were extremely good.

I would also tell you that everyone thinks he is Chuck Yaeger. Unfortunately the reality is somewhat different.

I am sure this airline is cherry picking the best. They can now. Its a buyers market.

How about stating that the selection is of a high standard, and only attempt it if you are confident. Blaming the airline for failing their sim check seems a bit sad

BAe 146-100
4th May 2022, 12:26
I am sure this airline is cherry picking the best.

How about stating that the selection is of a high standard, and only attempt it if you are confident. Blaming the airline for failing their sim check seems a bit sad

The hours versus skill debate has been done to death. No one failed the sim check, it was a doddle with not even a single complex failure or single engine, where you had flown before was a major dealbreaker, the people who they invited with a average cv never were gonna get further and it was just to make up the numbers for the recruitment tour, any pilot can make up their minds whether they want to attend or not after that. Of course they can do as they please and im sure they have good reason to keep doing screenings all over the world trying to find the new Sully who would just love to be based in Shymkent !!

ia1166
7th May 2022, 13:12
The hours versus skill debate has been done to death. No one failed the sim check, it was a doddle with not even a single complex failure or single engine, where you had flown before was a major dealbreaker, the people who they invited with a average cv never were gonna get further and it was just to make up the numbers for the recruitment tour, any pilot can make up their minds whether they want to attend or not after that. Of course they can do as they please and im sure they have good reason to keep doing screenings all over the world trying to find the new Sully who would just love to be based in Shymkent !!

What a post.

Anybody who walks out of a sim check and declares it a doddle is either lying or naive. Every sim I have done i have always felt I could have done better. But anyway, the end result is you failed the sim check. Move on, nothing to see here.

Joining an airline involves joining a team. Sounds to me like the airline dodged a few bullets here, due to the 29 year old TRI who you degrade here, but i would have to say maybe he saw through you, so good job.

BAe 146-100
7th May 2022, 17:05
This thread is for people to get real info from guys who went to the screening, your sure quick enough to throw stones yourself…..

Bloated Stomach
8th May 2022, 15:06
I did the assessment recently. I’m not going to go into much detail as it’s unfair to the whole process and I feel everyone should have an equal playing ground but I’m happy to guide you in the right direction.

There were 7 candidates from all over the world on the day including myself.

Day one consisted of a technical interview and a simulator assessment. The technical interview is around the aircraft you are typed on. I would suggest that you learn all your systems and limitations.

The simulator exercise is a 4 hour loft. On one part of the loft you will be PF and the other PM. The assessment will start with general handling followed by a radar vectored raw data ILS with a considerable crosswind component. Out of 7 people, 4 people went around as they were unstable. It wasn’t an easy raw data but they are looking for a sensible approach and leadership.

The next part of the loft exercise will be a short route where you will deal with an abnormal situation in an already busy exercise. It will be a busy exercise because as part of your planning, you will more than likely have an MEL item that will increase your workload in the flight. The MEL item will cause it’s own considerations and problems. On top of that, you’ll now have more to deal with and it is up to you how you go about managing the situation. Do you continue or do you turn back? That is your choice. Treat it as a real flight.

You will then swap and repeat the exercise but with a different situation. It’s a long simulator assessment and we were allocated 4 hours and used the whole time.

The second day consists of a compass test and an interview. I won’t go into much detail about the compass test as there is lots of information on this website. It hasn’t changed and is pretty straightforward. The interview is mostly about your simulator assessment and questions regarding the actions and decision making. Be honest about the assessment and you’ll be fine. The HR questions are more about you and how you will adjust to life in Kazakhstan.

The assessment is not a walk in the park as previous individuals have mentioned on this thread. It is challenging and one of the longest simulator assessments I have done. It included a complicated scenario with an already limited aircraft.

Use your CRM and decision making framework to handle the situation. You may be paired up with a candidate who will not have flown for a while. Think about what you would do if your simulator partner makes a mistake.

Feedback is provided within 2 weeks and I heard back a few days later. Out of 7 people, 4 passed and 3 failed. Each stage of the assessment must be passed at the required standard. I’m afraid you must pass the compass stages as well and although some may disagree whether knowing 4x + y = 12 is necessary, it is Air Astana’s playground and their toys. They set the rules and you either accept them or move on.

Good luck and be prepared.

nicoli
8th May 2022, 17:30
That’s really odd,

I had a completely different assessment this winter in EPST, with absolutely zero technical questions, a simulator session in a FNPT extremely easy with no failures and if I remember correctly the assessors were Boeing rated so not familiar with Airbus.

But with group exercises being the main part of the day.

I had also the feeling that they were not really looking for pilots.

Scagrams
14th May 2022, 03:54
That’s really odd,

I had a completely different assessment this winter in EPST, with absolutely zero technical questions, a simulator session in a FNPT extremely easy with no failures and if I remember correctly the assessors were Boeing rated so not familiar with Airbus.

But with group exercises being the main part of the day.

I had also the feeling that they were not really looking for pilots.

That's weird.

​​​​​​I passed the assessment more than two years ago and it was EXACTLY what Bloated Stomach described

thedoctordrei
20th May 2022, 18:42
Hello! I'm about to take on the Air Astana assessment and would like to know, if you have done it, prepared the compass test. I read on this thread that the math portion is tough. What other parts were there? Anyone can go into a little bit more detail?
Any help would be appreciated! Many thanks :)

rockytan
8th Jun 2022, 23:29
high standard airline to work in the middle of nowhere in KZ……
😆

galileo66
11th Jun 2022, 12:24
nice review.

I did the assessment recently. I’m not going to go into much detail as it’s unfair to the whole process and I feel everyone should have an equal playing ground but I’m happy to guide you in the right direction.

There were 7 candidates from all over the world on the day including myself.

Day one consisted of a technical interview and a simulator assessment. The technical interview is around the aircraft you are typed on. I would suggest that you learn all your systems and limitations.

The simulator exercise is a 4 hour loft. On one part of the loft you will be PF and the other PM. The assessment will start with general handling followed by a radar vectored raw data ILS with a considerable crosswind component. Out of 7 people, 4 people went around as they were unstable. It wasn’t an easy raw data but they are looking for a sensible approach and leadership.

The next part of the loft exercise will be a short route where you will deal with an abnormal situation in an already busy exercise. It will be a busy exercise because as part of your planning, you will more than likely have an MEL item that will increase your workload in the flight. The MEL item will cause it’s own considerations and problems. On top of that, you’ll now have more to deal with and it is up to you how you go about managing the situation. Do you continue or do you turn back? That is your choice. Treat it as a real flight.

You will then swap and repeat the exercise but with a different situation. It’s a long simulator assessment and we were allocated 4 hours and used the whole time.

The second day consists of a compass test and an interview. I won’t go into much detail about the compass test as there is lots of information on this website. It hasn’t changed and is pretty straightforward. The interview is mostly about your simulator assessment and questions regarding the actions and decision making. Be honest about the assessment and you’ll be fine. The HR questions are more about you and how you will adjust to life in Kazakhstan.

The assessment is not a walk in the park as previous individuals have mentioned on this thread. It is challenging and one of the longest simulator assessments I have done. It included a complicated scenario with an already limited aircraft.

Use your CRM and decision making framework to handle the situation. You may be paired up with a candidate who will not have flown for a while. Think about what you would do if your simulator partner makes a mistake.

Feedback is provided within 2 weeks and I heard back a few days later. Out of 7 people, 4 passed and 3 failed. Each stage of the assessment must be passed at the required standard. I’m afraid you must pass the compass stages as well and although some may disagree whether knowing 4x + y = 12 is necessary, it is Air Astana’s playground and their toys. They set the rules and you either accept them or move on.

Good luck and be prepared.

galileo66
11th Jun 2022, 12:27
hi bro. I will attend the assessment on July 2nd. I am looking for info as well.

it seems to be hard but not impossible. Please would you mind sharing info you find?

im concern about the compass which looks challenging.

my best wishes for you bro.

Hello! I'm about to take on the Air Astana assessment and would like to know, if you have done it, prepared the compass test. I read on this thread that the math portion is tough. What other parts were there? Anyone can go into a little bit more detail?
Any help would be appreciated! Many thanks :)

Tarishvin87
3rd Jul 2022, 02:18
Honestly don’t bother, they just love failing people without any reason.

cefey
24th Jul 2022, 18:19
Honestly don’t bother, they just love failing people without any reason.
I can't comment on AirAstana specifically, but being part of the recruitment team at another airline (we had a high failure rate as well), I can honestly say we never tried to fail anyone. Indeed, we always try to help people, give them the benefits of the doubt, a second chance, etc.
All recruitment is subjective and not always fair, that's true. But I doubt many airlines go shopping around for pilots and fail them for fun.

xfr
9th Aug 2022, 15:35
Is the next series of interviews going to be held on the end of this month or the start of September?

Kaizee
14th Aug 2022, 15:56
Guys,

Any tips on what software/application for study guide for aptitude test, advance compass test and what are the questions for Air Astana pilot interview?

Your help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Kaizeé

Jeddah
15th Aug 2022, 20:44
Hello everyone,

I am also looking for tips on which application or website for SHL test and compass test that you advice me to use to help to prepare for it and what are the questions to expect in the interview? What is the interview process?

Thank you in advance

BAe 146-100
16th Aug 2022, 20:13
It’s a giant time wasting exercise, don’t go to it thinking they are gonna actually hire you, its better to treat it as a lottery or a sim practice session

Ilyushin76
17th Aug 2022, 12:01
I did start off with the recruitment process but their stingy documentation requirements (some of which doesn't exist where I come form) put me off. Explaining things to their HR was well, unfruitful. Hence gave up on the idea altogether.

Besides, from what I've heard from my sources, their preferences are locals any day. Like BAe 146-100 righly states, take it is a ''assessment'' of an assessment to evaluate yourself and to prepare for a better airline.

Ilyushin76
17th Aug 2022, 12:01

Agreed !

Ilyushin76
17th Aug 2022, 12:04
funny you should mention engine stall. I presume at take off? Its one of the most resit procedures that I know. You may think you did ok but i suspect on my experience this is generally poorly handled. Its a good sim assessment abnormal. As is simple HYD abnormals, RNP approaches OEI, Certainly if I was planning a sim assessment Eng Stall at rotate would be high on my list. Sort the wheat from the chaff so to speak.

How do you know how other peoples sim went? You weren’t there. Mostly I have never seen a pilot accurately describe his own sim check. The assessment is made from the back, not the front. A 29 yr old with 4000 hours? Who knows. I would have to see him in the sim. I wouldn’t be surprised that a pilot could be more than capable at this level, if he was trained properly from the start.

I could tell you some things I have seen from guys with 10K hours that would shock you. As I have seen some 1000 FOs who were extremely good.

I would also tell you that everyone thinks he is Chuck Yaeger. Unfortunately the reality is somewhat different.

I am sure this airline is cherry picking the best. They can now. Its a buyers market.

You forgot to mention the most important determinant - The applicant's NATIONALITY :D

BAe 146-100
17th Aug 2022, 15:36
They discriminate on nationalities and your CV, seems everyone they took came from Qatar, Emirates, Wizz Air etc… They are really big on where you last flew and the reputation that airline has, so not being funny if your cv is not exactly filled with their perceived “quality” then all you will be doing is making up the numbers like I have said previously, and they make it obvious during the interview part.

BAe 146-100
23rd Aug 2022, 12:33
Haven’t you read any of this thread?? All the info you need is on here and it is recent.

Sharklet
2nd Sep 2022, 08:30
Applied yesterday and received an e-mail this morning to provide a bunch of documents. Read through this thread and saw that F/O pay was circa €5.500 from 2019. Is this still the case? Does anyone have an update on T&Cs for F/O?

Yes, I also read that F/Os should not think of applying to this gig, but since I've been out of flying for 30 months....

cosmiccomet
12th Sep 2022, 08:13
Simulator assessment.

3 pilots per day. In my case, we were 2 Captains and 1 FO.
2 examiners, 1 A320 TRE and 1 B767 TRE.
Briefing; the examiners were really nice during all the assessments.
JUST FLY AS YOU USED IN YOUR LAST AIRLINE.
A320 Knowledge assessment. Each candidate is asked 5 or 6 questions individually taken from a questionnaire database.
My questions were:
1) Ice Accretion definition.
Icing conditions definition.
Slippery when wet, QRH.
2) Loss of Braking memory items.
3) Unreliable Speed memory items.
4) CAT 3A/B minimums.

Simultor session brieging.
The sim session is divided into 2.
1) Maneuvers
They will position the aircraft at 10.000 ft MSL and they will give you 5 minutes for warm-up. Turning, accelerating, descending, etc.
No Autopilot, no auto thrust, no FD.
The A320 TRE after the warm-up will be instructed to maintain 10000 ft, HDG, SPD 250.
Then he will request to turn to a certain heading, during the turning he could request to reduce or increase the speed.
Another turn, request to climb or descent with 1000 FTM.
After 5 to 10 minutes of turns, climbs/descents, acceleration, and declarations, the TRE will terminate the exercise and he will reposition the aircraft for the ILS raw data.

The reposition will be at 8NM with an intercept angle of 30°.
Be ready for minimum visibility and low ceiling.
I could see only the approach lights at DA. The RL was seeing at 100 ft.
No PAPI. I had a SINK RATE caution and I went around.
I did it again with Flap Full. Full landing.

LOE.
Flight: Schipol-Brussels
DD ITEM: auto thrust inoperative.
148 pax, no cargo, 4 CC+2pilots.
Wx, EHAM is 3000 mts / OVC 008.
Brussels, 1500 mts/ OVC 006.
The aircraft is positioned at the holding point.
You should do all your briefings as your previous operator.
Normal TO, at 4000 ft GEN # fault.
I was accelerating (NADP 1), so I delay the initiation of the ECAM until clean-up.
The GEN reset did not work, the APU did not start.
The examiners want to see your resolution process, I did T-DODAR.
We chose to return to EHAM, better weather, home base.
I transferred the control to the FO, and I did the comms with the Pursuer, Pax, and Company. All the comms and announcements were not shortened.

I did the FMGS programming, the FO reviewed, and the briefing. ready for the approach (ILS).

2 miles before the FDP/FAF, the GS failed. We reported to the Tower, and it was confirmed. So I requested to be taken out from the approach for reprogramming, briefing, and back to the approach.

The FO had an engine stall during take-off.

Good luck.

smallkid1234
14th Sep 2022, 15:16
The assessment was biased. Do not go..

BAe 146-100
14th Sep 2022, 21:32
The assessment was biased. Do not go..

As several of us have said on this thread….

its a waste of time for about 95% of people who turn up…

Bloated Stomach
14th Sep 2022, 22:45
As several of us have said on this thread….

its a waste of time for about 95% of people who turn up…

The high failure rate is due to poor aptitude. People need to stop blaming others and look into themselves. Get some feedback from friends or colleagues. If it’s not your flying ability, it could be your technical knowledge or your personality. Airlines cannot afford to play games in assessments. If they could, they would hire all of you.

smallkid1234
15th Sep 2022, 23:15
Unprofessional 2000 hrs command TRI on 320 Type will choose whether u get the job or not. :Ot is a waste of time.. Go for other airliness interview.. I say again,, go for OTHER airlines itvw not this.

azoff
12th Oct 2022, 01:01
Good information

Kirka.kirkovitch
28th May 2023, 10:39
Any updates about assesment? Thank you

FlyingFlight
11th Jun 2023, 08:39
I understand that there has already been some info on T&C in Air Astana. But I was wondering, for anyone who has started from 0h, how is the progress within the company. Do you get better roster, less standbys, smaller chance of a call on standby, and an increase in salary?

DreamlinerB
14th Jun 2023, 01:59
I understand that there has already been some info on T&C in Air Astana. But I was wondering, for anyone who has started from 0h, how is the progress within the company. Do you get better roster, less standbys, smaller chance of a call on standby, and an increase in salary?

I am looking for any recent updates for informations such as this , if you don't Have you been invited for an interview recently , Anyone recently in selection process, I appreciate any answer

regards

FlyingFlight
26th Jun 2023, 20:29

Or maybe any info on time to upgrade, that would be appreciated

joeyr
27th Jun 2023, 07:40
For what it's worth, I worked there from 2010-2018 as an F/O (foreigner) on the Boeing fleet and I was upgraded to CA after 5 years

FlyingFlight
29th Jun 2023, 13:52
Thanks man, things could've changed now, but much appreciated

joeyr
29th Jun 2023, 14:59
FlyingFlight, I made a typo with the years that I worked there it was from 2010 until 2018 (8 years). Good luck if you decide to go!

DreamlinerB
12th Jul 2023, 18:58
I will really appreciate any recent feedback regarding the latest interviews and assessment done by air Astana, If I received any i could exchange it with the ones i have done , Got many such as Wizz , Rayanair , And some good references My email :[email protected]

always remember guys , that the more you help others the more you will have in the future this favor gets back to you by others

all the best for all

nihaal71
14th Jul 2023, 08:29
Hello everyone!

I took part in the assessment in one of the recent events.
The Examiners were thorough professionals and made you feel at ease, having said that the standards they would want you to perform are high! Understandably so!
The technical interview was specific to your aircraft, things you need to know in your day to day operations ( memory items, limitations, philosophy)
They give you the chance to find answers if you cannot recall.
Sim Check was straight forward and as described in the earlier posts.
compass the next day can be practiced online and the hr interview was quite straight forward too.

Good Luck!

DreamlinerB
17th Jul 2023, 14:52
nihaal71
Thank you for your Valuable feedback

Sorry to ask this question , But i am looking to know the general pass rate .

Did you made it ?

wishing for you the best in advance

regards

kai11
10th Sep 2023, 03:44
Any updates about assesment? Thank you

dirtyredhat
13th Sep 2023, 21:28
Any idea on pay for Capt? Thanks

Barlos
1st Oct 2023, 14:08
Could you share more info about life as an expat in Air Astana? Where were you based? Salary and bonuses? Rosters and layovers?

Luray
15th Nov 2023, 16:33
Applied through their website few days ago experienced NTR FO, received negative response today.
"After careful revision of your application we have to inform you that this time we are not able to proceed further on selection process due to No ATPL or ATPL theory"
Thats weird coz I do have atpl exams and enough hours to get ATPL after sim check.

Capt.crash
16th Nov 2023, 12:17
Received a similar response last week, "After careful consideration of your application we have to inform you that this time we are not able to proceed further on selection process". Type rated FO with 3k hours on type, wondering if my nationality has anything to do with it.

Luray
24th Nov 2023, 13:56
I wrote their support and surprisingly they commented why my application was rejected and adviced to apply again after which it was approved. Does anyone know if they bond or charge for TR?

9xenjoyer
25th Nov 2023, 04:28
Does anyone know if they bond or charge for TR?

AFAIK you have to deposit 11000euros when you join to cover for TR which they will return after 5 years. If you leave before you can forget it.

alphasierra20
29th Nov 2023, 14:49
Does anyone have been call for sélection recently? I’ve sent my document and everything is ok. Now I wait for the next step of the process.

BAe 146-100
4th Dec 2023, 09:50
Why are people still wasting their time on these amateurs..

hothighhumid
7th Dec 2023, 05:40
Because they're one of the very few that are accepting applications for inexperienced NTR without nationality requirements! If you don't have a strong passport there's not a lot you can do right now except P2F maybe...

Galiver
7th Dec 2023, 17:52

Totally agree!

Galiver
7th Dec 2023, 17:55
I wrote their support and surprisingly they commented why my application was rejected and adviced to apply again after which it was approved. Does anyone know if they bond or charge for TR?

Why was your application rejected?

Luray
8th Dec 2023, 04:49
Why was your application rejected?
Is was my mistake. While filling initial application there was a dropdown list with type of current license - I selected CPL, but there was also an option which i missed CPL+Frozen ATPL.

hothighhumid
11th Dec 2023, 08:03
Any non-experienced NTR invited for their assessment?

Phoebe01
12th Dec 2023, 03:02
Does anyone have been call for sélection recently? I’ve sent my document and everything is ok. Now I wait for the next step of the process.
Did you hear anything from them yet? I have applied but have not heard back ?

Phoebe01
12th Dec 2023, 03:05
have you heard back from them yet

Kostas2001
15th Dec 2023, 20:17
Just applied with them for NTR low hours position. I haven’t heard back from them and expect a negative response, but the comments here make me scared for a potential interview anyways. Will they be considerate that we just graduated ?

Phoebe01
15th Dec 2023, 23:29
Just applied with them for NTR low hours position. I haven’t heard back from them and expect a negative response, but the comments here make me scared for a potential interview anyways. Will they be considerate that we just graduated ?

I was thinking of emailing to ask when I can expect to hear back. No sure if I should. I really hope to hear something positive. It’s so hard to land a job with low hours I think they would consider low hours if they posted the job?

Mathieu.L
19th Dec 2023, 20:53
Hello everyone,

I applied 4 days ago for an NTR F/O low hours and I received an email from them this morning saying that my application was approved and that I had to send them the mandatory documents within the required timeframe.

I'd like to know if anyone knows the cost of the TR? The salary of a junior F/O?

Does anyone know the best way to prepare for the assessment (website, books etc...) ?

Does anyone have a date for an interview yet?

thank you very much for sharing guys!

do not hesitate to contact me on Watsapp +33 6 47 76 23 52

Mathieu.L
20th Dec 2023, 09:12
Hi guys
I applied 4 days ago for a non type rated first officer (low hours) position and I just got an answer from them saying that my application has been approved and that I must send them all the mandatory document within the required timeframe.

I have a question regarding a document, what they want exactly when they said vaccine passport?
Does anyone know the best way to prepare for the assessment ? (website, books etc..)
Has anyone with the same profile as me been given a date for an assessment?
Can someone tell me the cost of the type rating?

Thank you very much for sharing!
Don't hesitate to contact me on WhatsApp : +33 6 47 76 23 52

aviatoryunzy
28th Dec 2023, 11:31
For their First Officer non type rated with low time position, anyone knows if they are strict with the age limit of 34 years, or if they would hire candidates a few years above 34?

Sheikimran
15th Jan 2024, 14:33
Got approved for screening.

Any tips any suggestions for preparation.

joaquimdcampos
16th Jan 2024, 12:57
Got approved for screening.

Any tips any suggestions for preparation.

What kind of answer did you get?

joaquimdcampos
16th Jan 2024, 12:58
What kind of answer did you get?

Luray
17th Jan 2024, 08:09
Been in contact with their HR for NTR FO position. They requested a lot of papers that I never heard of. Flight school report and recommendation. Number of ATPL exam fails. Flight instructor comments.
I graduated 15 years ago.

Sheikimran
17th Jan 2024, 08:19
Yes there is lot of documents we need to submit.
I started my process around October and got approved after 90 days.

Basically you need to give ATPL theory certificate obviously which shows no of attempts and percentage.

And try to get letter from your flying school like no of attempts you take to complete IR and CPL skill test.

If your fresher no need of that. Or else get recommendations letter from your current organisation. Even if that’s not related to aviation.

Once your approved for screening they will check their slot availability and they will confirm with applicant.

The interview will be 2 days.
day 1 sim check
day 2 Compass test, CPP and Panel Interview.

You will get hotel accommodation for 3 days and flight tickets in Air Astana to ALA.

Phoebe01
17th Jan 2024, 23:52
How long after you submitted all the paperwork did you get approved for assessment?

Assedo
18th Jan 2024, 02:33

Thank you for the update! Was your screening 90 days after you sent your documents, or took you 90 days just to hear back from them after you sent the documents in?

Luray
18th Jan 2024, 16:59
I wish you good luck Sheikimran!

pilothash
21st Jan 2024, 20:36

Basically you need to give ATPL theory certificate obviously which shows no of attempts and percentage.

And try to get letter from your flying school like no of attempts you take to complete IR and CPL skill test.

If your fresher no need of that. Or else get recommendations letter from your current organisation. Even if that’s not related to aviation.

Once your approved for screening they will check their slot availability and they will confirm with applicant.

The interview will be 2 days.
day 1 sim check
day 2 Compass test, CPP and Panel Interview.

You will get hotel accommodation for 3 days and flight tickets in Air Astana to ALA.
Hello did you attand interview

pilothash
21st Jan 2024, 20:38
Hello,

Is sim check on a320 or b737

Ilyushin76
24th Jan 2024, 15:47
Been in contact with their HR for NTR FO position. They requested a lot of papers that I never heard of. Flight school report and recommendation. Number of ATPL exam fails. Flight instructor comments.
I graduated 15 years ago.

And they seem to be pretty stingy about the paperwork, some of which may not exist in other countries. Gave up on applying after I got the feeling that he HR coordinator was more of a a drill sergeant rather than a HR professional. :D

User0648
24th Jan 2024, 19:31
How long did it take for you guys to get an answer from them, after sending the documents?

i have send them 1.5week ago and havent got a response yet.

gallitosoto2
25th Jan 2024, 20:36
Hello Guys, I went for the screening process In Amsterdam a few months back.. I have two opinions:

Yes, it took for me around 2 months to get a response from them after I submit all my documents. Some of the documents needed to be reviewed and sent them back again for review. This is the longest process..

After documents reviewed and approuved I got my screening dates after 1 month..

Screening process: 3 days in Amsterdam pay by AA. (I paid my flights from my home base to Amsterdam round trip.)

Once your screening dates are confirmed, they will share a syllabus for the LOE (Flight plan, charts..)

As comments before, 1st Day screening:
-Group Interview: Introduction, previous company experience, and review of Simulator LOE.
-Panel Interview: Personal interview, 6 questions, (2 memory items, 2 limitations, 2 systems questions For TR.)..
-Simulator the most important process, DECISION MAKING.. Yes, first some minutes to get warm up with some basic manuevers, steep turns, climb, descent, speed, ILS raw data no A/T.
During my LOE, HYD 2 Fail, Ámsterdam to Brussels. We decided to continue to Brussels due weather and passengers for connecting flights and AME in Brussels available. Once manual gear extended, F3, during ILS, the localizar frequencies fail. We descontinue the approach and request vectors RNP approach. (Remember DODAR, TEST, Comoany and PAX announcements..)
Sim instructors play different ATC company flight numbers.(EX: Air Astana 123 or Air Astana 321 to check your flight managment).
We call PAN PAN and gave us 8 sequence for landing. DO NOT RUSH! Request holding until all checks are done. 10 kts tailwind landing..

2nd day screening: COMPASS, I think this is the most important. Go to LatestPilotJobs and pay for the full COMPASS test training. I prepared 2 months before, (Memory, maths, ATPL questions, coordination and psychologist test.
-Late afternoon, HR interview, chief pilot and HR..(Why I continue to Brussels instead of Amsterdam, CRM questions and any emergency we got in our career.. NEVER SAY NO.. Explain one or two issues you had and why resolve it!

As humble opinion the presentation also helps. Wear a nice suit for the screening process.

After screening, only 1 pass from 4. Yes it’s difficult but if you study you can make it!

Yes, upgrades are posibles depending on your performance..

I flew Captian on E145 and 190 for several years then 777 for a Chinese company as FO, and yes was the worst experience because the Chinese.

Even for FO, AA is a good place to start for NTR, any questions my WhatsApp +918431433809.

Good flights!

AdPuca
26th Jan 2024, 09:38
Hi all,

Is someone invited for a NTR low hour cadet pilot assessment?

Pilot Rosa
26th Jan 2024, 20:05
Any non-experienced NTR invited for their assessment?

I applied yesterday evening, today morning I received a email that my application was approved and they requested a bunch of documents.

Im NTR low hour pilot (cadet level)

jr0720
27th Jan 2024, 11:58
Anyone here has gone through the NTR low hour pilot assessment?

Galiver
1st Feb 2024, 07:24

I applied yesterday evening, today morning I received a email that my application was approved and they requested a bunch of documents.

Im NTR low hour pilot (cadet level)

After you have spent weeks and massive energy to provide the documentations they require (if at all possible to provide them all), they will then reject the application.

BAe 146-100
2nd Feb 2024, 00:27
As been said on this thread countless of times, do not waste your time with this outfit!!! Don’t say you haven’t been warned when you just get rejected after sending a boat load of documents or doing a good assessment then failing.

They were getting away with these shenanigans when there was no jobs during the pandemic but no one really needs to put up with their world tour anymore.

Hirako
5th Feb 2024, 14:42
As been said on this thread countless of times, do not waste your time with this outfit!!! Don’t say you haven’t been warned when you just get rejected after sending a boat load of documents or doing a good assessment then failing.

They were getting away with these shenanigans when there was no jobs during the pandemic but no one really needs to put up with their world tour anymore.

Hey,

Stop this, let people make their own choices.
You've warned us, which is appreciated.
Thanks for your valuable feedback, but move on bro.

Didn't you mention you've already invested enough time in A.A.?

Peace

Adindeys
12th Feb 2024, 16:27
Hey
Did anyone face this on multiple basis , first when I applied my application was rejected, then got approved, I got told that I’m on standby list for assessments and then eventually they invited me for assessments on a 3 day notice , which I was unable coz there was no way i could refresh my sim knowledge. Then got told to wait for next assessment and have been waiting since then . Last week I got a mail saying that now my application is rejected for school performance (I have an 89% avg cpl-ir passed in first attempt just for info ) .

how are they able to reject my application now if they were going to assess me earlier ?

do let me know what I could do to maybe sort this or if you know someone whom I could contact .

Regards

rudestuff
12th Feb 2024, 18:21
how are they able to reject my application now if they were going to assess me earlier ?They gave you a chance, you rejected them. You had an expensive lesson in not being fussy.

Adindeys
12th Feb 2024, 18:25
They gave you a chance, you rejected them. You had an expensive lesson in not being fussy.
cmon , 3 days and they tell you to come to Helsinki ,self paid , I live in India … you’re telling me this is a lesson , that’s hilarious, it’s being unrealistic 🤷🏻‍♀️

605carsten
12th Feb 2024, 23:06
cmon , 3 days and they tell you to come to Helsinki ,self paid , I live in India … you’re telling me this is a lesson , that’s hilarious, it’s being unrealistic 🤷🏻‍♀️

welcome to aviation, fairly normal behaviour

9xenjoyer
13th Feb 2024, 06:12
Take the L and move on.
Read a few pages of this thread & you might get an idea of the show that's going on. If I'm right they have been open to apply since 2019/20. For a small airline, I wonder how many pilots they need or if its that hard to find qualified pilots especially after covid. Either their standards are so astronomically high that only a few manage to get hired all these years or.....

AngryZoomerCaptain
25th Feb 2024, 17:46
Hello guys,

Whomst got an assessment date before the end of the year ? I got my docs approved but it seems there is no availability until far, very far in the future.
By the way I see a lot of hate regarding Air Astana but one of my FO’s used to work there and he loved it. 🤟

Richard_
25th Feb 2024, 22:19
similar situation got an email saying keep an eye out for september etc..

Yahe
1st Mar 2024, 06:14
Hi,
I have been invited for interview in end of April. any source to practice?

User0648
1st Mar 2024, 20:29
Hi,
I have been invited for interview in end of April. any source to practice?

When did you apply and for what position?

Yahe
2nd Mar 2024, 14:03
When did you apply and for what position?
I applied about 3 months ago for Type rated first officer.

Durggypilot
13th Mar 2024, 14:50
Wonder if they let UK pilots to join?

luganao
15th Mar 2024, 23:38
"Wonder if they let UK pilots to join?"

Why not the CEO is British and BAE Systems is a major shareholder.

aebr
18th Mar 2024, 09:45
Good day Guys,

Anyone may confirm for us if there is an English test or not, please

Thank you

Seyha
28th Mar 2024, 06:36
hi,

low time non type, submmted required docs on 15 Mar 2024, how long should we get a reply from the airline? your comment would help

Yahe
12th Apr 2024, 19:07
At least 2 months, if your docs are accepted.