PDA

View Full Version : Bristow HelicoptersCareer Open Days – Tuesday 16 April and Wednesday 17 April

berlioz
29th Mar 2019, 10:01
Bristow hosting another recruitment seminar. Link for details:

http://prod-app-01.bristowgroup.com/_assets/filer/2019/03/18/bhl_careers_open_days_leicester.pdf

LZ

Has anyone ever attended one of these?

Are this worth? Or just spend the money to go there and talk to some guys and in the end nothing????

I would like to get feedback by someone that has been to one of these or by people that work at Bristows.

Thanks

helicrazi
29th Mar 2019, 10:03
Bristow need pilots, they are obviously willing to take on an initio with a CPL and IR pilots. If you are low hours and looking to get your first job, why wouldn't you attend?

berlioz
29th Mar 2019, 10:12
Thanks for the reply

But didn't Bristow just fired a bunch of pilots? Doesn't make much sense to make pilots redundant and after going to the market looking for new blood. Unless these pilots were too expensive and they are looking for less expensive blood that would accept anything.

And why having a meeting? Shouldn't be easier just to ask for EOI and then call a couple of guys interview them, put them in a simulator and make them a job offer?

DonQuixote23
29th Mar 2019, 10:42
Someone I know went there the last time and later got called to an interview. He held an IR but it was expired. So yes, I believe it is well worth it to attend.

aa777888
29th Mar 2019, 10:43
A local CFI just got hired by them. So they are looking for people and accepting at least some with relatively low hours.

tu154
29th Mar 2019, 11:01
Companies lose contracts, they let pilots go. Companies win contracts, they hire pilots. That’s the industry. There is no security.

Think of events like these like a preliminary job interview for both parties. You can meet them and see if you like what they say. They can meet you and decide if they want to progress to a formal assessment. One of the problems of getting hired in the North Sea is trying to stand out among a sea of CVs. This can be one way of making yourself known and making your case for being hired. Selection processes are expensive and resource intensive. This is one way of narrowing the field and making it more likely that people who make it to interview will get through selection.

It’s entirely possible that there will be “and then nothing” for several reasons. Maybe they don’t like you. Maybe you have less skills and experience than the next guy. Or more experience and they want none. Or maybe you are round and they happen to want square today. There are no guarantees.

SASless
29th Mar 2019, 13:59
In the days before HR Departments created their Fiefdom within their companies....Chief Pilots and Chief Engineers did the hiring and Admiin did the paperwork.

Pilots and Engineers usually got hired after getting the Nod of a current employee or some other trusted source who knew the applicant (who usually was encouraged to apply by that same trusted source).

Now days....it is a computer or some other arbitrary impersonal administrative procedure that creates a list for HR to work from.

That is a terrible way of dealing with Humans and a really ****ty way of doing business.

Teaching Point. here.....show up IN PERSON whenever and however possible and present yourself to the Company Reps.

If there is a Pilot or Engineer (depending upon which profession you are looking to hire on into) make sure you spend your time with them as they are the ones with the experience and knowledge to assess your individual qualifications.

Until the Industry gets back to the old way of hiring.....Humans are going to suffer from the HR crap.

fijdor
29th Mar 2019, 14:30
In the days before HR Departments created their Fiefdom within their companies....Chief Pilots and Chief Engineers did the hiring and Admiin did the paperwork.

Pilots and Engineers usually got hired after getting the Nod of a current employee or some other trusted source who knew the applicant (who usually was encouraged to apply by that same trusted source).

Now days....it is a computer or some other arbitrary impersonal administrative procedure that creates a list for HR to work from.

That is a terrible way of dealing with Humans and a really ****ty way of doing business.

Teaching Point. here.....show up IN PERSON whenever and however possible and present yourself to the Company Reps.

If there is a Pilot or Engineer (depending upon which profession you are looking to hire on into) make sure you spend your time with them as they are the ones with the experience and knowledge to assess your individual qualifications.

Until the Industry gets back to the old way of hiring.....Humans are going to suffer from the HR crap.

Totally agree with this comment. this "where do you see yourself in 5 years from now" or any other not related questions to the job is useless.

JD

212man
29th Mar 2019, 14:40
Out of interest, what nationality are you? I had an impression you might be Portuguese, but your profile says country of residence is CA. If the former, you may find Brexit concerns will mean BHL will shy away from hiring EU nationals right now, and if CA is Canada then you won't have a right to work in the UK anyway. If none of the above and you are British, then ignore me!

berlioz
29th Mar 2019, 15:55
Out of interest, what nationality are you? I had an impression you might be Portuguese, but your profile says country of residence is CA. If the former, you may find Brexit concerns will mean BHL will shy away from hiring EU nationals right now, and if CA is Canada then you won't have a right to work in the UK anyway. If none of the above and you are British, then ignore me!

Hello 212man

Maybe we have meet somewhere near Kampala or a bit more to the North.

I don´t care about BREXIT, i´m just wondering about this new way of meeting people. In the old days as referred here people would look at your CV ask around if someone knew you and that´s it....only in the final stage you would go there to meet the chief pilot for a chat.

I´m just curious about this. How effective it is.

Safe flights to all

Sir Korsky
29th Mar 2019, 16:59
Hello 212man

In the old days as referred here people would look at your CV ask around if someone knew you and that´s it....only in the final stage you would go there to meet the chief pilot for a chat.

The experienced pilot pool just isn't available anymore. Lots of the old hands have retired or given up or gone elsewhere. There are lots of new names turning up in CV piles and plus the lucrative UK government contracts ensure they look as far and wide on the diversity spectrum as possible. All this is combined with Brexit and continued uncertainty. Don't wear cologne will you. Nothing worse than that up your nostril in an enclosed space. That'd be my first CV to the shredder.

HeliMannUK
29th Mar 2019, 18:27
I attended one of these last year in London.

Had a chat with the CP and some other hopefuls like myself. They want to get a feel for what is out there it would seem, I never got any thing back from them but then again I found myself on the NS with another company 1 month later. Go figure!

My IR had expired with very limited ME experience, no NS experience.

I am now a true believer in right place right time followed by Who you know not what you know but the latter didn't apply for me.

SASless
29th Mar 2019, 18:33
If none of the above and you are British, then ignore me!

Oh...that is so unfair!

Some others might like to be able to ignore you!:{

berlioz
29th Mar 2019, 22:04
I am now a true believer in right place right time followed by Who you know not what you know but the latter didn't apply for me.

I think you´re absolutely right......Nowadays...if you´re lucky to be in the right place at the right time...you´re in......

Glad that in the end it worked out for you and you´re in the NS.