PDA

View Full Version : Why are we told the pilots' names?

Espada III
24th Mar 2019, 12:49
These days, air travel is pretty similar to bus or train travel. Book and ticket, turn up at the station/airport, get on the bus/plane/train, get off. We don't get to hear the name of the driver. On a long distance train you might get to hear the first name of the train manager/guard.

It is an anachronism that we are told the names of the pilots. Is it relevant any more? The only time I experienced any excitement at hearing the name of the pilot was when I realised that the same all female crew that had flown me from Rome to Heathrow, were about to fly me to Manchester. But can't say I would have noticed had it been two men in the cockpit.

RevMan2
24th Mar 2019, 13:10
Espada III I really think that you need to get out more often....

EEngr
24th Mar 2019, 15:55
Why are we told the pilots' names?

Because if it's HAL, I'm getting off.

Planemike
24th Mar 2019, 16:13
Espada III I really think that you need to get out more often....

Agreed............ Just because it is not common place on buses and trains does not mean it should happen on aircraft.
Usually know the name of the captain aboard cruise liners, often other members of the crew as well.

TowerDog
24th Mar 2019, 16:24
]​​ Why are we told the pilots' names?

Because we are special and the world needs to know who we are at all times.

davidjpowell
24th Mar 2019, 18:47
I like it. Captain Chris, who is a Flybe captain based at Doncaster not only speaks Yorkshire, but makes fine and clear PA announcements...

cavuman1
24th Mar 2019, 21:09
What is the difference between God and a pilot?
God doesn't think He's a pilot...

Boom, Tish, Is that my taxi already?

- Ed :E

Jetstream67
24th Mar 2019, 22:02
Because if it's HAL, I'm getting off.
If I remember correctly that's exactly what NOT to do :=

Herod
25th Mar 2019, 12:02
"I'm sorry EEngr; I cannot open that exit door"

vctenderness
26th Mar 2019, 10:07
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoIn9hkxbbI

Mark in CA
26th Mar 2019, 18:16
Maybe because it takes more training and skill to "pilot" a plane or ship than to "drive" a bus or train?

PAXboy
26th Mar 2019, 20:46
I'm guessing that it's another hand over from the days of sailing ships but, Tower Dog is probably correct.

Peter47
30th Mar 2019, 10:48
Why are we told the name of just about anyone who appears on the media? Why are (many) journalists given bylines? Why do pilots sometimes give the names of cabin crew where the complement is small? Think of your own examples.

I guess its a combination of status (cleaners don't generally get a mention) - pilots don't want to be seen as bus drivers and trying to humanise the process of flying. .

Hotel Tango
30th Mar 2019, 10:56
Tbh, most pilots rattle their name off so rapidly (because they know what their name is) that I struggle to comprehend it. May I therefore suggest that, if you wish to introduce yourself to your passengers, you enunciate your name clearly. ;)

Paul Lupp
30th Mar 2019, 20:48
What's wrong with giving out your name?
Shows a little bit of pride in your job. Coach drivers do it, guards or whatever they are now called on trains do it...
which reminds me, a year or two back I was on a SWT train before they were taken over by SWR, and the Guard was Tom Riddle...... I did ask him when he was inspecting the tickets, if he was a Lord etc etc, but apparently few people picked up on it (mostly young children)

redsnail
31st Mar 2019, 16:53
With the flight deck door closed these days, it's important for passengers (especially nervous flyers) to realise that there are real people up the front.

hiflymk3
31st Mar 2019, 17:04
I thought all pilots are called Nigel.

MarcK
31st Mar 2019, 21:30
Captain Tom, and Spot

YorkshireTyke
31st Mar 2019, 22:07
What is the difference between God and a pilot?

Psychiatrist died and went to Heaven, met at the gate by St. Peter, who said " Glad to see you, we're having a little trouble with God, he thinks he's a BOAC Captain.

( yes, it's been around for a few years, and very relevant at the time ! )

Paul Lupp
1st Apr 2019, 08:24
... and their family name (or surname) is "Speaking".

Surely you have heard the announcement
"This is YOUR Captain Speaking"

I'll get my coat......

pax britanica
1st Apr 2019, 09:13
I would add that on SW trains or railway- different letter same problems guard often give their name and sometimes a bit of a chatty introduction and I think its rather nice to have a personal touch- after all many peopelw e interact with daily wear badges and since pilots are either shut away or have their backs to you why not give their names.

When I lived in Scandinavia (Sweden ), my colleagues us to test me on where the pilot was from because of their accent or name , I do not know if it is still the same but back then the cabin crew om international flights were usually from the point of origin but the pilots could be from any of the three Scandi countries so going to LHR from Arlanda the CC were like Swedish but the pilots could be Danish or Norwegian, prompting the inevitable comments about are they sober-if Danish and are the competent if Norwegian in line with the usual like did like relationship among neighbouring countries.

not sure about only giving first name for the flight crew but thats me being old fashioned I am sure

maggot
1st Apr 2019, 09:17
Speaking is a very common last name for many captains and FOs at my airline

vctenderness
2nd Apr 2019, 08:49
With the flight deck door closed these days, it's important for passengers (especially nervous flyers) to realise that there are real people up the front.

What as well as the Nigel’s?

SamYeager
2nd Apr 2019, 11:12
I have to say that I struggle to understand the OP's dislike of being told the pilots' names whilst not being worried about being told the lead flight attendant's name. The lead flight attendant then frequently mentions the first names of their staff in their subsequent PA. Personally I have no problem with either of these practices. To answer the OP my best guess is that staff are told to present a welcoming and friendly face to passengers and that this is part of SOPs.

parabellum
2nd Apr 2019, 11:14
It is very impolite to commence any kind of discussion, briefing, lesson, general information, with people you don't know, without first introducing yourself. Manners maketh Man.

Cymmon
2nd Apr 2019, 15:15
Old adage, thank you for flying with xxx airways if you've enjoyed your flight my name is Nigel if you didn't enjoy your flight my name is Fred have a nice day.

Max Angle
3rd Apr 2019, 22:06
No idea to be honest, most passengers couldn't care less I suspect. Never used to bother at my previous airline but current employer (BA) seem keen on the idea so I tow the line.

Hartington
5th Apr 2019, 21:21
I seem to remember several flights with US carriers where names were not announced. Announcments started "From the flight deck......."

Hotel Tango
6th Apr 2019, 10:59
I seem to remember several flights with US carriers where names were not announced

"hi from the flight deck folks....." is indeed the norm in the US. However, on some occasions I have heard the F/A give the captains's name in her welcoming p/a. It differs, even within the same company.

From an early age I decided to keep a basic log of all my flights. When given, I included the captain's name in my records.

hiflymk3
6th Apr 2019, 16:55
York Apten seems a popular name for airline pilots.

Helol
6th Apr 2019, 17:00
On a BA flight the other day, we were introduced to 'Gary' and First Officer XX (can't remember his name).

PAXboy
6th Apr 2019, 19:56
As I understand it, not using surnames for cabin crew is to prevent unwanted attention and some do not use their own name. Perhaps, in the age of untrammelled social media, flight crew are feeling the same way.

AviatorDave
18th Apr 2019, 20:07
These days, air travel is pretty similar to bus or train travel. Book and ticket, turn up at the station/airport, get on the bus/plane/train, get off. We don't get to hear the name of the driver. On a long distance train you might get to hear the first name of the train manager/guard.

It is an anachronism that we are told the names of the pilots. Is it relevant any more? The only time I experienced any excitement at hearing the name of the pilot was when I realised that the same all female crew that had flown me from Rome to Heathrow, were about to fly me to Manchester. But can't say I would have noticed had it been two men in the cockpit.

It is a matter of courtesy to introduce yourself as a pilot. It is not about bragging or big pilot egos.
I am wondering if the average flyer still merits that courtesy though.

RevMan2
19th Apr 2019, 06:22
As I understand it, not using surnames for cabin crew is to prevent unwanted attention and some do not use their own name. Perhaps, in the age of untrammelled social media, flight crew are feeling the same way.
Commented on the waitress’s starkly Scandinavian name at an American (small chain) steakhouse. “Oh no” she said “that’s my Bugaboo Creek name. My *real* name’s Jo-Ann...”
But back to topic - A380 captain introduced himself by name, I asked the purser if perchance his dad’s name was Klaus and had he worked in the cargo control centre in Frankfurt. Yes and Yes and please come up to the cockpit after landing where I met someone I knew as an ankle-biter. Rather cool

Twiglet1
19th Apr 2019, 07:45

So 1980's - its Rupert nowdays

vctenderness
19th Apr 2019, 08:48
It can all lead to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OBZf0QdKdE

pulse1
19th Apr 2019, 09:49
I was on a Dan Air flight once and the flight attendant included the captain's name in almost every announcement. I am sure that there was something going on there. It went something like this:

Captain xxx has just switched off the seat belt lights ........
Captain xxx has just switched on the seat belt lights......
Captain xxx has just started our descent into ..... etc.

Private jet
19th Apr 2019, 13:43
The old wisdom says that "If you are over the age of 25 and have to wear a name badge at work then you have probably made a serious vocational error..."

ShyTorque
19th Apr 2019, 14:10
Why shouldn't a pilot tell you his name? You were keen enough to write yours down for him when you booked the flight...

Herod
19th Apr 2019, 20:33
Why are you told the pilot's names? Because the pilot has the microphone, and you don't.

InSeat19c
18th May 2019, 17:34
I like hearing the names of the crew as it makes it more professional somehow and just a 'nicer' experience, however, in the social media age I wonder if it results in them being contacted online by random passengers.

magruder1980
19th May 2019, 06:20
The old wisdom says that "If you are over the age of 25 and have to wear a name badge at work then you have probably made a serious vocational error..."

Well that takes out all the US Senior Military all of whom seem to wear name badges...............................

businessair75
19th May 2019, 21:53

Thats clearly Bullsh*t. My ex is a purser/cabin manager at the big orange airline and earns well in excess of 30K per annum, substantially more than many office based roles. Such an outdated and elitist view.

simufly
19th May 2019, 23:21
[QUOTE=Private jet;10451286]The old wisdom says that "If you are over the age of 25 and have to wear a name badge at work then you have probably made a serious vocational error..."[/QUOTE
Mmmm. Which old wisdom is that then?. From your tag are in the private sector, perhaps an airline wannabe ?

Most airlines require a name tag.

simufly
19th May 2019, 23:26
It can all lead to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OBZf0QdKdE
Clarence is a good friend, Roger I new in an old company. Both good guys. Victor the F/E sadly passed last year.

Eric T Cartman
20th May 2019, 10:35
On a BA Viscount, Aberdeen to Glasgow, in 1980, I heard "Your flight crew today are Captain Beaky & First Officer Sid" followed by a giggling fit from the cabin crew .... ( Google the name if you don't understand ;-). )

TLDNMCL
20th May 2019, 11:26
I had to go to Montreal on a training course, on boarding, the crew names were announced and I heard a familiar name from my light blue days. I asked one of the cabin crew if I had heard correctly, as I knew the familiar name had gone on to become a Captain on said airline; "Is he up front?" "No, he's one of the senior stewards, why do you ask?" After explaining the light blue background, we were invited up to the pointy end for an extended in-flight visit (before 9/11) where we were greeted by a rather foxy and very informative lady F/O. The senior steward involved kept my colleague and me rather well supplied with red wine for the rest of the trip too. 😊

PAXboy
20th May 2019, 17:19
I had this once in South Africa. The Cpt had been my nephew's Best Man a few weeks earlier! So I sent a short written message forward and then had a jump seat ride for the rest of the internal flight and the landing!