PDA

View Full Version : questions for the GOM pilots

flyingnomad
22nd Mar 2019, 16:30
I have some questions I was hoping some of your GOM pilots could answer for me as I am considering a couple of opportunities out in the gulf right now. I'm currently in fairly cush position and have gotten a bit soft with the easy life so I am just a tad nervous to consider this change.

1) what are living conditions like out there and which companies seem to have the best accommodations?
2) who has the best equipment these days?
3) Anyone know what average pay is currently for VFR? IFR?
4) Any operators that I should avoid?

Thanks folks

helonorth
23rd Mar 2019, 15:14
I have some questions I was hoping some of your GOM pilots could answer for me as I am considering a couple of opportunities out in the gulf right now. I'm currently in fairly cush position and have gotten a bit soft with the easy life so I am just a tad nervous to consider this change.

1) what are living conditions like out there and which companies seem to have the best accommodations?
2) who has the best equipment these days?
3) Anyone know what average pay is currently for VFR? IFR?
4) Any operators that I should avoid?

Thanks folks
I would stay where you're at.

Fareastdriver
23rd Mar 2019, 18:53
I'm currently in fairly cush position

Hold on to it with both hands because if you shove it you will never get it back.

SASless
24th Mar 2019, 12:23
Now that is one thing FED and I completely agree upon!

In the helicopter industry....if you find yourself in a good situation...enjoy the hell out of it....because Sunshine....it ain't gonna last for long!

Going to the GOM was never something I did.....looked at it once and laughed at the operator when I asked the HR Rep if she would work for a pay schedule she was offering to a professional helicopter pilot.

After she regained her composure she said...."No...probably not!".

When they want you to dress like a Plumber and treat you like a Uber driver....and pay you like a laborer.....and expect you to live in a house trailer with a bunch of other pilots for half your life....cooking your own chow.....there's your sign!

Robbiee
24th Mar 2019, 14:55
Now that is one thing FED and I completely agree upon!

In the helicopter industry....if you find yourself in a good situation...enjoy the hell out of it....because Sunshine....it ain't gonna last for long!

Going to the GOM was never something I did.....looked at it once and laughed at the operator when I asked the HR Rep if she would work for a pay schedule she was offering to a professional helicopter pilot.

After she regained her composure she said...."No...probably not!".

When they want you to dress like a Plumber and treat you like a Uber driver....and pay you like a laborer.....and expect you to live in a house trailer with a bunch of other pilots for half your life....cooking your own chow.....there's your sign!

So, how fat does your logbook have to be for such an awesome sounding job?

wrench1
24th Mar 2019, 15:07
I am just a tad nervous to consider this change.
FWIW: worked around the GOM for many years and it boils down to you make the experience what you want. It's not for everyone. However, unless you have some hardcore S-92, AW139, or S-76C experience, you may want to wait and see how the current business landscape works out first.

helonorth
24th Mar 2019, 19:35
And if it's something you've never done, you should probably sit this one out as far as commenting on what it's like.

flyingnomad
27th Mar 2019, 00:35
Thank you all for the responses.

If I were to make the wrong decision, which I’ve been prone to doing from time to time, who would you guys recommend I try and get on with out there? It sure would be nice to upgrade to an IFR role with an air conditioner and good equipment if I decide to fly the swamp.

muermel
27th Mar 2019, 09:15
ERA is looking for IFR & VFR captains. Wilth the current situation at PHI and Bristow, I would go with them. Although some people here might have more insight knowledge of the current state of affairs in the GOM.

https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=e4a73992-9f7c-4194-94bf-7c89dabc3fdd&ccId=19000101_000001&type=MP&lang=en_US&selectedMenuKey=CareerCenter

SASless
13th Apr 2019, 10:38
ERA's Deadhorse Base was well known for its frequent infestation of Lice......just saying!

flyingnomad
13th Apr 2019, 13:51
ERA's Deadhorse Base was well known for its frequent infestation of Lice......just saying!

this was discussed at length during the interview, and we decided that the lice wouldn’t touch a filthy baboon like myself, thus making me an asset to the company as a lice repellant.

SASless
13th Apr 2019, 14:45
ERA never did hire based upon looks!

Lt. Kije
15th Apr 2019, 13:57
Okay, so no worries there. However, I have some serious questions and staying with my cushy gig is not an option; it has been pronounced terminal and will die on August 1st.
So I need to find another one. Here are my questions and I would appreciate answers, preferably from people who have been there:

Is previous experience credited when hiring? Or does everyone start at the lowest rung? I've got about 4,600 hours in helicopters, twins, singles, flying medical, troops, news...am I Joe Nobody if I take up with Era?
I've flown AS350's, EC135's, BO105's and some other things that aren't in the Era fleet. Would I start with them in one of those?
How many helicopters per base, generally?
Is bidding for advancement out of the pool a paper exercise? Or do they want to see you and count the eyes, or something?
What are the quarters really like? Can I leave stuff there or do I have to pack out at the end of every hitch?
What am I not asking that your experience says I should?

Thanks,
~ Kije

flyingnomad
15th Apr 2019, 14:55
Okay, so no worries there. However, I have some serious questions and staying with my cushy gig is not an option; it has been pronounced terminal and will die on August 1st.
So I need to find another one. Here are my questions and I would appreciate answers, preferably from people who have been there:

Is previous experience credited when hiring? Or does everyone start at the lowest rung? I've got about 4,600 hours in helicopters, twins, singles, flying medical, troops, news...am I Joe Nobody if I take up with Era?
I've flown AS350's, EC135's, BO105's and some other things that aren't in the Era fleet. Would I start with them in one of those?
How many helicopters per base, generally?
Is bidding for advancement out of the pool a paper exercise? Or do they want to see you and count the eyes, or something?
What are the quarters really like? Can I leave stuff there or do I have to pack out at the end of every hitch?
What am I not asking that your experience says I should?

Thanks,
~ Kije

i sent you a PM