PDA

View Full Version : GPS help anyone??

moo
20th Apr 2001, 20:23
Hi peeps, does anybody have any ideas of the disadvantages/advantages of the commercial air transport industry ditching of the ADF/NDB, VOR/DME/RNAV, INS (and even the ILS) systems in favour of a universal GPS system?? I¢m doing a project, and a mix of opinions or any ideas on the subject would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Cheers

moo

Noggin
20th Apr 2001, 20:35
GPS is universal however its not so good at the Poles, as it was never intendid for use there. What do you check it against if you remove the other systems? It can be switched off, downgraded and interfered with, all your eggs in one basket is never a good idea.
GPS is no substitute for an INS, but together they can be complementary.

G - HIGH
20th Apr 2001, 22:29
I was thinking a buying a GPS soon. There's quite a few to choose from and they're not cheap either. On that note, can anyone recommend a particular make or model - (The less expensive the better).

Thanks to who ever replies.

PanicButton
21st Apr 2001, 00:21
I would recomend Garmin GPS´s. If you know one of the handhelds you know them all. And you can connect the newer models to your PC and download/upload between them! Check out the Garmin homepage! :)

------------------
Nothing to see here, just making use of the internet!

ickle black box
21st Apr 2001, 01:38
GPS is owned by the US military. All the signals your own personal gps device picks up, come from their sattelites. You don't have an inherrent right to be able to use these signals, it's just the the US allow you to (by not encrypting them). Because of this, we can't start depending 100% on these signals, as they can be turned off. (In time of war, the system could become vunerable, UK military has run gps jamming trials, although only over a local area). The radio Nav aids will be around for a very long time, they are very tried and tested, and most aircraft have the appropriate avionics already fitted. For an example of stuff sticking around, most fighter aircraft (and airliners) still have some instruments, that would be familiar to a world war one pilot, eg ASI, Altimeter (the scale just goes a lot higher these days). It is only the very new aircraft like the Eurofighter/new airliners that have a glass cockpit, to finally replace these old design instruments.

If you are interested in a very cheap, and absolutly excellent gps, I'd recommend the Garmin GPS12. It is around £110, and you can't beat it for value for money. If you want to spend more, you can then go up to the GPS3 pilot, at around £450. I wouldn't recommend the GPS12XL, unless you need the 2 extra features (greater range of input voltages for running of an external power source, and a jack for external aerial), as it is significantly more money. A good place for cheap Garmin GPS's, (not sure if they do aviation ones though) is Sunrise Business Centre on Tottenham Court Road, in London. Get their number from 192.

ickle

G - HIGH
21st Apr 2001, 14:28
Thanks guys - I'll be sure to check out both the web site and the company that you recommended. Let you know which one i finally part my money for...

Cheers - G HIGH