PDA

View Full Version : OH! What to do ???

SASless
3rd Aug 2002, 08:01
I am not ordinarily a timid type, nor overly superstitious....but I am in a real quandry here.....am due to take a flight from the Middle East to the USA on 10 September. Now I know it is the day before the anniversiary and not the date in question....but then we do celebrate New Years at the end of the previous day....errr...anyone have any thoughts on this?

Should Mom's favorite son tempt fate and Hosannah Been Running's mob by making this flight.......after all it is a very long way over some very deep water this flight of mine will be!

Any suggestions on precautionary methods....say like wearing ear plugs so I don't hear the bang....or use a blindfold...so I don't see the ocean coming towards me.....or maybe buy a copy of Flight Sim and practice flying a 767....especially recovery from unusual attitudes and landing in corn fields?:rolleyes:

ATPMBA
3rd Aug 2002, 13:55
If I were in your shoes I would check out the tramp freighter schedules. That would get you back to the states in about 6 weeks (Just Kidding !!!).

On a serious note, I would only fly on a non-US carrier, as I believe US carriers remain targets, also, stay off of B747-200 series aircraft as it seems the center fuel tank is in question, in my opinion.

Market forces may force your hand as in a couple of months only non-US carriers may remain standing as United and US Airways and others go into bankruptcy.
The market capitalisation (stock price X number of shares of outstandind stock) of CHC or Offshore Logistics is higher than United or US Airways !!!

Best of Luck, and Praying doesn't hurt either.

EESDL
3rd Aug 2002, 14:43
Tip:
1. Don't refuse alcohol.
2. Make suggestive remarks to female cabin staff only.
3. Don't think that it's a good day for starting to wear a tea-towel on your head!

Nick Lappos
3rd Aug 2002, 16:00
SASless,

A helicopter pilot who's concerned about flying in an airliner is a true optimist!

Nick

SASless
3rd Aug 2002, 17:25
Nick,

So good to see you are back....been checking milk cartons lately...afraid I might see your picture on it.....granted it would have to be on the half gallon size cartons. Not only am I flying helicopters but flying B-B-B-B-Bells w-w-w-w-with t-t-t--t-the d-d-d-d-double s-s-s-s-stacked b-b-b-b-blades! Golly, it sure is easy to articulate the reasons why I like the Sikorsky ride!

What if I book an Aeroflot flight, would that enhance this experience....or maybe a Concorde flight from Paris? Don't guess wearing runners with old fashioned clothesline laces would be a cool thing to do either. Are there any airports that still have the old one time "flight" insurance boxes......?

4th Aug 2002, 06:25
SASless, why not fly ElAl - if you don't get mown down at the check-in, then lady luck is probably on your side. Have a safe trip!

Vfrpilotpb
4th Aug 2002, 10:06
SASless,

Book with Saudi Air, and get a good suntan before hand, only carry hand luggage and better make it a sports chute with oxy bottle of course, in your pocket have ready the clear goggles and dont forget a GPS nav aid to find out which part of the ocean you will be landing in, apart from that FLY and worry not, it isnt the fall from height that hurts its that last half inch!:D

PS carry a strobe for night assistance/rescue

3top
4th Aug 2002, 14:27
S***w it just go, donīt be a wuss!!!

On the other hand.......I donīt have too!

:) :D 3top