PDA

View Full Version : Canberra T4 WT486 - Can you help?

Nigel Coward
19th Mar 2019, 16:39
Forgive the newbie approach here, I don't have a great deal of experience on Forums!

I have recently acquired the cockpit section of Canberra WT486 from Belfast and had her shipped to Wiltshire for a sympathetic restoration. While researching her service I contacted the RAF AHB, and received copies of her movement cards and an incident report, which covered details of a crash while she was in Wildenrath in 1958. She was part of 88 Sqdn, and a pilot by the name of JG Calvert was flying her at the time of the incident. Does anyone know of JG Calvert, have any photos of WT486 in service or indeed at the time of the incident, or does anyone recall flying or working on her?

My intention is to restore 486 and take her to shows across the country, fundraising for Lions Clubs in the UK wherever we can. Any history that I can acquire would certainly make her story more interesting, as at the moment she appears to have just been a hard-worked asset with no apparent 'history' to shout about - please prove me wrong!

Nigel

OLDQFI
20th Mar 2019, 00:02
Google for WT486 RAF and go to the bywat wt486 html page. Apologies: I have isufficient posts to allow me to post urls.

Oldlae
20th Mar 2019, 07:26
I joined 88 Sqdn in November 1961 as a J/T Engine fitter. I remember 486 as it was so different to the other Canberra B(I)8's, it had a single cartridge starter instead of the triple starters of the 8's. We hoped it started every time which it normally did.

TEEEJ
20th Mar 2019, 12:52
The link to the late Les Bywaters Canberra website. All the best with the project! :ok:

CANBERRA - T.4 - WT486 (http://www.bywat.co.uk/wt486.html)

http://www.bywat.co.uk/canframes.html

Nigel Coward
25th Mar 2019, 16:54
Thank you for replying Oldlae, its great to find someone who remembers 486! Do you have any pics of her from your time on the squadron? There are a couple online but nothing that really shows her in service.

Nigel Coward
25th Mar 2019, 16:55
Thank you Teeej

Nigel Coward
25th Mar 2019, 16:56
Thank you oldqfi, I've seen that one, was hoping to find more souls who might have some hands on time with her specifically.

Old-Duffer
28th Mar 2019, 07:20
Depends on how deep you want to go. The individual sorties flown at a unit are recorded in the RAF Forms 541. These are available at the National Archives but are ordered, as implied, on a unit/sqn basis, so you might be at Kew for quite sometime!!!

Good Luck

Old Duffer

gr9driver
22nd Jun 2020, 03:15
Forgive the newbie approach here, I don't have a great deal of experience on Forums!

I have recently acquired the cockpit section of Canberra WT486 from Belfast and had her shipped to Wiltshire for a sympathetic restoration. While researching her service I contacted the RAF AHB, and received copies of her movement cards and an incident report, which covered details of a crash while she was in Wildenrath in 1958. She was part of 88 Sqdn, and a pilot by the name of JG Calvert was flying her at the time of the incident. Does anyone know of JG Calvert, have any photos of WT486 in service or indeed at the time of the incident, or does anyone recall flying or working on her?

My intention is to restore 486 and take her to shows across the country, fundraising for Lions Clubs in the UK wherever we can. Any history that I can acquire would certainly make her story more interesting, as at the moment she appears to have just been a hard-worked asset with no apparent 'history' to shout about - please prove me wrong!

Nigel

Nigel,

James Gordon Calvert was my grandfather. If you’re still after some details, please PM me.

Thanks, JMC.

==========================
Until you have a posting history you don't have access to private messaging and adding urls.