PDA

View Full Version : PPL Log book

ms08
18th Mar 2019, 07:33
Only three and half hours in - has stalled recently due to weather, commitments etc.
I did trial gliding session yesterday - about 45 minutes flying excluding take off and landing.
Can i put that in my log book for type although I imagine it won't count as hours? ASK21 at Kent Gliding Club - loved it and learnt a lot more about rudder control than flying a C152.....and the view out of the window :=...lol canopy was excellent.

VariablePitchP
18th Mar 2019, 08:04
Only three and half hours in - has stalled recently due to weather, commitments etc.
I did trial gliding session yesterday - about 45 minutes flying excluding take off and landing.
Can i put that in my log book for type although I imagine it won't count as hours? ASK21 at Kent Gliding Club - loved it and learnt a lot more about rudder control than flying a C152.....and the view out of the window :=...lol canopy was excellent.

Logbook wise, you can (within reason) put anything you like in there. Not sure how much flying you think you’ll be able to do but if you plan on doing a lot then monthly summaries are a good place to separate the hours into relevant types (single engine, multi engine, glider, helicopter etc). Main thing is to keep track of where the hours have come from.

Just be be mindful that when you apply for your actual licence you will need to be able to prove your relevant hours. If you don’t do monthly summaries then an end of course/licence summary would be a good way of doing it.

Gliding time won’t help you hours wise but it is brilliant for learning, as you’ve found out. Motor gliders do count to a point, you can log a percentage of the time towards the licence.

Genghis the Engineer
18th Mar 2019, 11:26
No problem at all.

Just pick a spare column you're unlikely to ever use (say, multi-engine night), and change the heading to "gliding P/UT", then you can add up any gliding time separately and not inadvertently add it incorrectly into your aeroplane / single engine piston totals.

I used to use a commercial logbook, it had columns for 3-axis and flexwing microlights, SEP, glider training, and a bunch of other things that were never in there when Pooleys sold it to me in 1989: dead easy with either tippex, or nowadays an office printer and some spray adhesive. [Eventually I just designed and had printed my own logbook, but that's a fairly extreme solution.]

Job done.

G