PDA

View Full Version : Are A levels required?

Rhys Morgan Bevan
18th Mar 2019, 07:27
Hi, just a quick question. I left school after GCSE's to work as I never thought I would need A levels. I have 15 GCSE's and BTEC subjects C grade and higher and a plumbing studies level 1 diploma. So I don't want to spend 2 years doing A levels if I can go another path to becoming a pilot. I will be getting a physics tutor and a maths tutor before I enroll onto an assessment ect.
Thanks in advance for any replies.

dylanred
19th Mar 2019, 12:43
Also interested in this. I have just GCSE's (all A*-B's) and nothing else. Passed the first screening for generation easyjet at CAE but wondering if it's even worth trying any further or if it's too competitive

uncle dickie
19th Mar 2019, 14:54
In a word, NO. Just sufficient grey matter necessary.
The hardest the maths get is SIN COS TAN
Arithmetic, square roots, simple & quadratic equations. That is about it.

Physics : Boyle Law. Charles Law. Principles of moments. Probably all covered at GCSE/O/ standard grade/NAT5 level

The difficult aspect is getting back into LEARNING mode. Even a lay-off of 9 months takes a while to remove the “rust”.

Nothing particularly difficult : once described to me as “low grade, high volume” material.

If you are working full time, simply chip away at it.

If full time groundschool then classroom and 2-3 hours each night 5 days a week. Use the Saturday 9-5 to go back over the previous coursework. Sunday have a rest until the evening. Then say 1-2 hours?
Adopt this regime from day1 and the exams will be a “piece of old doddle” to quote Sandy Thomson. Sadly no longer with us. Groundschool supremo in 1980/90s

Vaero
20th Mar 2019, 09:12
In terms of raw knowledge, no. In terms of competitiveness... Maybe.

Most airlines in the EU just need GCSE and good ATPL theory results but if you're looking outside of the EU, like in Asia, then A-levels or a university degree would be required if you don't have the hours needed.

uncle dickie
20th Mar 2019, 10:00
Doing well in the exams is important. Ideally no retakes, not less than 85% in any exam and really a very good mark in Navigation. Demonstrates your brain may well be wired up correctly as an aviator.

First time passes in the flying is very advantageous !

Once your ATPL is issued, your initial training record normally becomes less important as experience is gained.
Getting on that first rung is the most difficult bit.

onichols1
20th Mar 2019, 16:47
Get yourself a GCSE maths revision book to top up your knowledge. Formal A-levels aren't a requirement but could be seen as advantageous from a competitive point of view.

studcapt
25th Mar 2019, 23:01
If you don't, its not the end of the world but if you do its always better. Never forget to try to enjoy your studies and your learning experience. Nobody forces you to become a pilot (hopefully) , it is your choice! Make the best out of it. And when you come to an interview just look like a nice and responsible chap!